Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  4
Author: Subject: Please take a look
AcuDoc
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-13-2007 at 09:25 PM
Please take a look

After years on the baja baoards even back to the amigos days I still watch teh board even though I am located in San Carlos now. Here is a post on the San Carlos board of interest to all my baja amigos

No Sniveling

Mana:
Posted: Wed Sep 12th, 2007 11:13 pm

Many of you received my email two weeks ago about a request to Gene Kira, (Western Outdoor News, Mexfish.com, co-author of "The Baja Catch") to stop posting pictures of dead billfish hanging from hotel signs. His honest and realistic response was that he has a journalistic duty to post fishing news, good, bad, or otherwise. The photo posted on Mexfish.com (http://mexfish.com/mfn/mfn2007/mfn070827/mfn070827.htm) August 27th showing a 62 pound Blue Marlin, killed and hanging from the sign at Hotel Oasis, Loreto, bothered me so much I felt I had to write to him. Gene agreed to post my concerns over the killing of billfish at the Baja resorts and did so in the Sept. 3rd edition of Mexfish.com (http://mexfish.com/mfn/mfn2007/mfn070903/mfn070903.htm)
Hotel Oasis makes the news again this week with another blue marlin hanging at their "gallows": (http://mexfish.com/mfn/mfn2007/mfn070910/mfn070910.htm).

Please, do what you can to let them know that they will KILL THEIR ONLY LIVELIHOOD if they do not stop killing marlin for a photo shoot. Write to them, and anyone you know that will write to them, and let them know how true big game enthusiasts feel about protecting the resource.

http://www.hoteloasis.com/contact.html

STOP THE KILLING - Take LIVE video - Join the 21st Century! WISE UP!
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-13-2007 at 10:04 PM

Thanks Doc for taking a stand. The good ol' Hemmingway days are over. Big game hunters still abound however. It's the duty of all fishermen to understand their role in preserving certain species or in many cases the brood stock. The machismo associated plays a big part in satisfying the testoterone fix. Practice catch and release, be responsible stewards. Do your homework. Insure these magnificent animals can coexist in this shrinking world.

DON\'T SQUINT! Give yer eyes a break!
Try holding down [control] key and toggle the [+ and -] keys

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
Osprey
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-14-2007 at 06:11 AM

As I understand it all 7 of the resorts in this bay have a total "release all billfish" policy for their charter boats. Not all fish are released: some die. Many charter boats drop the dead fish off before docking, come in clean and legal but have some friend in a panga ferry the fish ashore, sell it. Marlin meat is going for just under $5 U.S. a kilo! That's some big bucks for the crew so count on more "badly hooked" fish around here. I'm a reporter for WON now and then but I don't send them pictures of gamefish any longer because it's such a local thing that all my neighbors were encouraged by the process to keep fish, bring them to me to get their picture in the papers. One can't blame the promoters of game fishing -- revenues for this bay alone have a potential for over $10 million dollars a year.
flyfishinPam
Super Nomad

Mood: gone fishin'

[*] posted on 9-14-2007 at 06:27 PM

many years ago I made a decision to stop posting images of dead billfish on my website, bajabigfish.com last year I laid down the law and mandated a policy of no take for billfish which this year I also applied to large roosterfish since we had so many this season. The notake billfish policy has been well received but I have gotten the occasional captain who challenges me on it. I have to deal with that on a case by case basis but if all sides are considered and we believe a captain is taking billfish unnecessarily he will receive no future trips. weŽre serious about it.

I visited eastcape right before the storm (henriette) and was disgusted at the gallows at the Spa Buena Vista where I stayed. More disgusted when i saw it being used. If I were in charge of that place the first thing IŽd do is knock that down! Yes the old photos are interesting but the release images are WAAAY more interesting!

Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 9-14-2007 at 06:49 PM

AcuDoc, Hope you don't get jumped on for being negative etc. for supporting the conservation of a fish resource.:O
AcuDoc
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-14-2007 at 07:47 PM

Cypress
There is nothing negative about trying to promote and maintain the fishery of the Sea of Cortez. Hopefully the resorts and those that make their living from it will see that. It is truely in the interest of everyones, especially theirs, to maintain it.

I've only been doing Baja and the Cortez for 20 years and I've noticed a big difference. I want to be able to bring my grandkids down and they theirs to the wonders of Baja, Mainland and the Cortez. If the fishery isn't taken care of we all will suffer, especially the fishcamps and pangeros. They will have a hard time feeding their families etc.

About a dozen years ago when I went to fish Costa Rica they were saying it is what Baja used to be. For the last few years they are saying Panama is what Costa Rica used to be....where does that leave Baja???

Take care all and take care of the Cortez.

PS I did a clip/paste from No Sniveling from the www.sancarlosmexico.com board. He was the one that brought my attention and others in the San Carlos area about this. Check out this board. It is truely a great one. And as posted the fishery is getting nothing but better in the SC area due to there very strict conservation, self implied rules of catch and release.

Viva Baja...Viva SC

:cool:
Cypress
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-14-2007 at 08:22 PM

Acudoc Thanks for taking a stand and making your point.:bounce: I fully agree with you.:bounce::bounce:
BajaBruno
Super Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 9-14-2007 at 08:41 PM

AcuDoc and Don Jorge, I fuly agree with you both. I also believe that many fish that supposedly "die during the fight" could be successfully revived by towing them alongside the boat at idle for 10 or 15 minutes. I've seen it happen.

Christopher Bruno, Elk Grove, CA.
Bob and jane
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-14-2007 at 09:24 PM

I also wish Gene would take a stand. The Oasis just desn't get it. Over and over their posts are of pctures of dorado that can't be more than 3-4 pounds, or people with outrageous numbers of fish. The Oasis comes to mind first, and shouldn't be singled out, as many of his posts show what appears to be more than limit catches.
Hey, fish die during the battle, I think these should be consumed. I'm guilty of wanting to smoke or can some fish, or bring one home for Franco, so I keep some ,Guilty!!, but never near the limits. I agree that billfish should be released.
For what it's worth, that's my take!!!
Roberto
Banned

[*] posted on 9-14-2007 at 09:27 PM

Sadly, the truth is that most peopale who go fishing don't give a #$%^ about this stuff. The "gallows" are a point of pride, why else would they be there? They are there because they attract business, plain and simple.

It's a long chain of guilty parties that includes the "fishermen", the "captains", the resorts, etc., etc. all day long. And, it ain't gonna change. And the banning of pictures, the no-take from people like Pam, while honorable and admirable, is a drop in the bucket.
Roberto
Banned

[*] posted on 9-14-2007 at 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob and jane
Over and over their posts are of pctures of dorado that can't be more than 3-4 pounds

This is NOT a part of the problem - given the reproduction rate and rate of growth.

Quote:
, or people with outrageous numbers of fish.

Now THAT'S a part of the problem. Gringos who go down to fill the coolers (and get back with dogfood), and have pictures taken with a billfish.
AcuDoc
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-15-2007 at 08:52 AM

Good advice!
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 9-15-2007 at 09:24 AM

Thanks for your ideas Doc... without condemning any Nomad.

Perhaps it should be noted that fish taken for eating is different than fishing just for numbers or for billfish that are to get mounted on a wall?

Hope you had a great summer!

David

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

AcuDoc
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-15-2007 at 11:44 AM

Hey David

As you know I've been a Noamd for years and on Amigos de Baja before that, still many here like me here when the board first started. I just sit in the wings now as I am in San Carlos.

Still miss and will always love Baja.:cool:
cristobal
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-15-2007 at 12:54 PM

AcuDoc, Don Jorge ...

I am with you guys 100% ...:spingrin:
Let them go and keep the CORTEZ full of fish.:wow:
Good to see you back posting back again Doc.:bounce:
I've been kinda scarce around here myself.:rolleyes:

;D:wow::(:O:light::tumble::P:P
Cypress
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-15-2007 at 04:09 PM

AcuDoc, Don Jorge.:yes:
Cypress
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-17-2007 at 07:05 AM

Don Jorge Have used a stretcher to bring fish on board to examine etc. for research purposes, would keep water on 'em.:spingrin: If the fish are placed upside down they're more relaxed.:) Had an excellent survival rate.:spingrin:
Osprey
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-17-2007 at 07:09 AM

Maybe runnin' a brand new game down south. I saw a charter cruiser, boat a small marlin for photos, pitch it over. It went belly up, another hotel boat saw it, picked it up. At $5 bucks a kilo it works out $50 for the shuttle/seller in the panga/pickup truck, $50 each for the captain and the marinero.
Cypress
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-17-2007 at 07:58 AM

Osprey A new service/business?:?: Possible name "You kill'em. We haul 'em.".:(
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-17-2007 at 01:00 PM

Don Jorge,

Bertrand's marlin probably ain't gonna make it. Perhaps that's your point. Flyfishing for marlin or tuna is really tough on the fish. The equipment (no matter what wt rod) just isn't strong enough to do it quickly enough. These fish come up exhausted. And then to pull them up out of the water like that! I don't think that fish is revivable. You can usually tell when the fish is at hand how successfull things are going to be.
 Pages:  1    3  4

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.