Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Nissan x-terra suspension problems
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 10-20-2007 at 09:51 AM
Nissan x-terra suspension problems

I just purchased a new 2007 Nissan x-terra "off road" model and find that the rear springs are "soft", and bottom out often over bumps when any kind of "load" is carried.

I did read David K.'s post about a similar problem, and fix, for his Tacoma Truck.

Has anybody had a similar problem with their "X", and how did you fix it??

(I did look into Calmini add-a-leaf kits, and that is a possible solution for little money---- $149 + installation)
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-20-2007 at 12:01 PM

Barry I think the problem is common among most stock off road trucks and SUVs because the manufacture is giving you a soft ride on the hwy. 3/4 and 1 ton trucks are probably not affected, as least as much. My 93 Toyota 4x4, 04 GMC Z71 and my 07 Tocoma 4x4 trucks all have soft rear springs that bottomed with a load. I simply did an add a leaf. I don't mind the harder ride. It's not real hard but you do tell the difference from stock. David went for the more expensive setup but he can adjust his for softer or harder when he wants.

If you do decide on an add a leaf be careful too much arch will raise the rear a couple of inches. On my 93 and 04 the rise was about an inch. When I purchased the leafs for the 07 the installer had to take some arch out and even then it was probably 1 1/2 inch rise. Look at the leaf before you buy and look for one that will only raise the vehicle no more than an inch, unless you plan to raise the front too. I did my GMC myself and the leaf was almost flat. My first two leafs were from ORW and the last from a local Bakersfield shop.
Barry A.
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-20-2007 at 12:26 PM

TW------

Calmini (of Bakersfield) states that their add-a-leaf kit will raise the "X" rear end about 1 1/2 inches--------do you think that this is exceptable without doing anything to the stock front end (the front suspension seems fine)?

The Calmini kit uses two long leafs per spring-pack to accomplish the "lift"-----I am thinking that this is much better than using one short, but stiff, add-a-leaf--------------don't you think?

I did go on line to several "X-owners" chat sites, but the info/advice is marginal and amatuer at best IMHO.
landyacht318
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-20-2007 at 04:16 PM

My leaf springs are 18 years old and tired. I got a 3/4 ton dodge van and when loaded down, the back end would get so squishy it was nerve racking. I've gone through 3 sets of those cheap pep boys, leaf spring helpers which just push up on the back half on the springs, and they do work somewhat, but they are temporary. One end has to slide back and forth with suspension movement on a plastic slider. When the plastic wears out there is metal to metal contact.

I decided this time to install the Firestone Ride Rite air bags, like David K. My main reason for doing this was the adjustability factor. Different loads, different air pressures. Off center loads, different air pressures. Uneven camp sites, One at 75# the other at 5# = level bed. No loads, 5 psi and I cannot even tell they are there. I ran my airlines inside the van so I can change pressure from within.

One thing with this kit for my ride is that it claims to require no drilling. On mine there was no option but to drill, as the jounce bumper bolts broke upon removal, and wouldn't have lined up with the upper mount, or the axle, had they not broken. The upper bracket was to be held on with 4 self tapping bolts. I drilled my own additional holes and used 10 bolts on each frame bracket with red loc tite. I also had to lengthen my exhaust and fabricate a larger heat shield from an old pizza tray, so what claims to be a 2 hour project took me all day.

I cannot attest to the longevity of the bags themselves as I've only had them a week. I've heard many who swear by timbren overload springs which mount in in a similar fashion to air springs, but require no air or maintenance, and do not affect the unloaded ride.

I avoided the add a leafs because of the experience of a friend with a Tundra. Without 4 or more bags of concrete in the back, the thing was a bouncy nitemare on the concrete highway. It also gave it the pronounced 'stinkbug stance', which he hated and paid to have the front coil spring spacers installed to level it out.

I love being able to raise or lower my rear end by 3.5 inches with my 10 dollar air compressor.

Another Brand is Air-lift. They are slightly less expensive, at least for my application. Their kit for my van does not claim the no drill installation, and the upper bracket would have to been mounted on the inside of the frame rail, which would have made my installation more difficult.

Check out Summit racing for the kits and downloadable instructions.
Good luck
Barry A.
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-20-2007 at 04:29 PM

whistler and Landyacht and TW----------

----all good stuff----thank you very much. I will next talk to Nissan and see if they have any ideas. I am leaning towards the Calmini add-a-leafs as I have had excellent results from add-a-leafs on my F-250 4x4 pickup with small camper.

I personally have had bad luck with the airbags (they wear out fast) but that was years ago, and they may be much better now. You are right, the Pep Boys (Hellwig?) bolt on helper springs cannot hold up to Baja and the pounding, and besides they are really hard on the stock springs I have learned. I went thru several sets on one Baja offroad trip years ago----kept breaking bolts, and then even the springs themselves------never again.

Thanks for the input.

barry
Barry A.
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-20-2007 at 05:41 PM

Whistler------

That is really generous of you, but I believe that the Frontier and the X have the same springs, or so I am led to believe. If that is not so then I am interested if they are a higher capacity spring than what i have in the X.

Thank you.
Frank
Senior Nomad

Mood: Is it time to leave yet?

[*] posted on 10-20-2007 at 08:23 PM

What about just putting in some overload springs. They would only come into play under a load, so you ride wouldnt suffer when your empty.

http://www.rockymountainsusp.com/SuperSprings_leaf.htm

[Edited on 10-21-2007 by Frank]
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-21-2007 at 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Barry A.
TW------

Calmini (of Bakersfield) states that their add-a-leaf kit will raise the "X" rear end about 1 1/2 inches--------do you think that this is exceptable without doing anything to the stock front end (the front suspension seems fine)?

The Calmini kit uses two long leafs per spring-pack to accomplish the "lift"-----I am thinking that this is much better than using one short, but stiff, add-a-leaf--------------don't you think?

I did go on line to several "X-owners" chat sites, but the info/advice is marginal and amatuer at best IMHO.

I think that would be OK. I didn't notice any real difference in handling on any of my trucks. The rear is more firm on the hwy. My 93 has the hardest ride on the hwy. But it also has heavy duty torsion bars up front. The 04 and 07 I don't notice it as much.

Whistler's offer sounds really good.
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-21-2007 at 10:16 AM

Last week I had to replace the plastic shims in the rear springs on my 04 GMC because the left side had a rattle like a loose bolt. I looked and banged and could not find it. I noticed the shims missing and after putting in new ones the rattle went away.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 10-21-2007 at 11:20 AM

Hellwig springs were one of the recommendations I recieved for my truck.

They only take over when you have a load and need the extra help, instead of giving you a harder ride all the time.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Minnow
Banned

Mood: Embarrased Harry Reid is a Nevadan

[*] posted on 10-21-2007 at 12:32 PM

Quote:
I just purchased a new 2007 Nissan x-terra "off road" model and find that the rear springs are "soft", and bottom out often over bumps when any kind of "load" is carried.

I did read David K.'s post about a similar problem, and fix, for his Tacoma Truck.

Has anybody had a similar problem with their "X", and how did you fix it??

(I did look into Calmini add-a-leaf kits, and that is a possible solution for little money---- $149 + installation)

There is a very simple fix. Take that POS out to the desert and put a match in the gas tank and go buy a real truck.:lol:

Proud husband of a legal immigrant.
Minnow
Banned

[*] posted on 10-21-2007 at 01:24 PM

I spent a month in an X-Terra in Baja. I am entitled to my opinion. If you don't believe me I have pictures.:lol:

Barry A.
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-21-2007 at 01:31 PM

Minnow,

I already HAVE a "real truck"-----it is called an F-250 4x4 tricked out to handle almost anything--------BUT IT IS REALLY BIG, and will not go all the places I want to go because of it's size. Thus, the "X", which is dust proof, has the most clearance of any stock vehicle (except the Rubicon), has a stock locker in the rear, big tires stock, bilstein shocks stock, lots of power, is incredibly manuverable with a tiny turning radius-----oh and did I mention "dust proof"? I am allergic to dust so the Rubicon was ruled out with it's incredibly inadaquate plastic roof, or that tent thing that most Jeeps have. Comprende???

Unfortunately it also has lousy rear springs, which I intend to correct with input from the "helpful" NOMADS-----emphathise on "HELPFUL"!!!

Thank you for YOUR invaluable help-----now back to the "off topic" board with you--------:lol::lol::lol:
Barry A.
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-21-2007 at 01:32 PM

Minnow-----(again)

We crossed-posted--------------I would like to know about your experience with the "X"----

Care to share??
Neal Johns
Super Nomad

Mood: In love!

[*] posted on 10-21-2007 at 03:18 PM

Barry A. Get the Add-a-Leaf.

My motto:
Never let a Dragon pass by without pulling its tail!
Barry A.
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-21-2007 at 03:35 PM

NEAL JOHNS-----

Thanks Neal, and Hi---it's been a while------I am strongly thinking the Calmini add-a-leaf is the way to go, like you say.

However, the link provided by "Frank" to the RockyMountainSuspension looked interesting too, tho more expensive. This is a full length "helper" type spring that only activates when loads are put in the vehicle-----I am thinking that it probably is not heavy-duty enough, tho. It's engineering looks good, and not like the "clamp-on" Helwig springs I have broken in the past on other vehicles.

What you think? Calmini or RockyMountain?
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

Mood: Its Pole Line Road time

[*] posted on 10-26-2007 at 08:57 AM

Quote:
oh and did I mention "dust proof"? I am allergic to dust so the Rubicon was ruled out with it's incredibly inadaquate plastic roof, or that tent thing that most Jeeps have. Comprende???

Clean Air upgrade for Jeeps

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-26-2007 at 09:03 AM

Quote:

Are the springs bottoming out, or are the rear bumpstops being hit every time you go over a bump because the shock absorbers are not valved properly for off hwy use? It would be easier and simpler to get some shocks that will provide more compression valving rather than change your leaf springs.

Get the adjustable Pro-Comp MX-6 shocks that have both adjustable rebound and compression, and this should take care of your problems...before going with an add-a-leaf. With the add-a-leaf, you will have plenty of rake which will make your pickup truck look funny traveling down the road. You will probably want to either crank your torsion bars 1 1/2" more which will provide diminished ride and less suspension droop, or purchase a pair of longer torsion bars.
If you had bought a Jeep, this would not have been an issue since you would be working with a straight axle rather than a weak IFS suspension. But, to each his own...

[Edited on 10-26-2007 by Ken Cooke]

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-26-2007 at 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by whistler
No torsion bars on the new Nissans.Coil-overs.

That should be a cheap fix. Longer, adjustable-height coilovers for the front axle, 1.5" add-a-leaf rear springs, and Pro-Comp MX-6 adjustable shocks all around for a more firm, controlled ride. :light:

Minnow
Banned

[*] posted on 10-26-2007 at 01:41 PM

My main problem was the poor gas mileage when fully loaded, and poor off road capability. I believe the frame will handle beefed up suspension though. Also, the one I had was only 2wd.:(

Sounds like yours is a better model, also mine was puke yellow. My wife hates yellow.:O And the Mexicans used to throw eggs at it when I wasn't looking.

Looks like you are getting some good advice here. Let us know how it works out.

Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.