Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  4
Author: Subject: Art & Beer, Pescadero, Todos Santos DON'T GO
jeffw

thumbdown.gif posted on 11-7-2007 at 09:36 PM
Art & Beer, Pescadero, Todos Santos DON'T GO

Had the opportunity two weeks ago to stop at "Art & Beer" restaurant/bar, located in Pescadero, close to Todos Santos.
This had to be the worst Baja restaurant/bar experience.
The guy that runs this place is totally unreasonable, and has no sense of how to run a business. He is VERY RUDE, even charges a cover charge to even walk in the restaurant/bar. And no, don't even bother to ask to use his bathroom, this will be a cover charge. He eventually kicked me out of his establishment as I was standing in the dirt lobby, and not wanting to pay a cover charge or buy a $12 margarita, yes $12............This guy doesn't like dogs, so if you have one anywhere near his dirt parking lot, he physically gets in your face. Very sad that this occurs here...........wonderful location, great view, but total bad deal of an owner.

Of all the wonderful places to see, eat, and drink in Baja, this place takes the worst prize. This place is not an example of a good Baja experience. Having traveled my times down the peninsula, I have NEVER found such a bad spot.
There are numberous other postings going back many years about this bad place, but I had to learn the hard way.....should have read the postings first.....JUST DON'T GO THERE!!!
Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-7-2007 at 09:51 PM

I see nothing has changed.
Dave
Elite Nomad

lol.gif posted on 11-7-2007 at 10:16 PM
My Hero

Quote:
Originally posted by jeffw
There are numberous other postings going back many years about this bad place

And he's still in business?

I think it's a common fantasy among those who spend their life in the restaurant/bar trade to retire and open a place like that.

Although therapy would be cheaper. :rolleyes:

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 11-8-2007 at 07:29 AM

What's his name? This guy can't be trashed enough. A US transplant, I assume.
vandenberg
Elite Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 11-8-2007 at 08:36 AM

Ever gave it a thought that maybe this guy doesn't want any business and does anything to run it off ?
Maybe just in it to launder money ? Just a thought.
I believe there are quite a few of those in Baja, Loreto and Chivato come to mind.:(

I think my photographic memory ran out of film

Air Evacuation go to
http://www.loretobarbara@skymed.com
comitan
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-8-2007 at 09:40 AM

I know his reputation so every time I pass I notice quite a few cars and that is hard to believe with his reputation, and no I will never go in just to check it out I don't need the hassle.

Strive For The Ideal, But Deal With What\'s Real.

Every day is a new day, better than the day before.(from some song)

Lord, Keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth.

“The sincere pursuit of truth requires you to entertain the possibility that everything you believe to be true may in fact be false”
Minnow
Banned

Mood: Embarrased Harry Reid is a Nevadan

[*] posted on 11-8-2007 at 10:02 AM

Tell me comitan. Doesn't this post, and the many others before it, make you want to round up all the stray dogs in your neighborhood and drop them on his doorstep.:biggrin:

Proud husband of a legal immigrant.
cabobaja
Nomad

Mood: Smiling

[*] posted on 11-8-2007 at 11:45 AM

I live just a few miles south of Art & Beer. Went in a few years ago for a beer.
Have never been back. The owner is a $#@hole.
Dave
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-8-2007 at 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by lencho
Where one can tell the clients what he really thinks? Hmmm,

At least you know where you stand. If John Q. Public knew the damage a passive-aggressive waiter, bartender or cook can do, no one would eat out. :lol:

Marie-Rose
Senior Nomad

Mood: Worried...

[*] posted on 11-8-2007 at 03:27 PM

Really glad to see this here again as I to am always blown away when I see so many cars parked there. When we were in San Ignacio we ran into a time share slaesman from Cabo who was raving about the place. Had the teeshirt, hat, etc:?:
We have heard of so many bad experiences and we were less than impressed with our one and only visit 3 years ago.
And don't even get started about the dog issue. Had a girlfriend who arranged a pick up there for a rescue pup and the owner kicked them off of his parking lot as well!!!!:fire:

Remember, when in Mexico, yes may be no and no may be
maybe!
Minnow
Banned

Mood: Embarrased Harry Reid is a Nevadan

[*] posted on 11-8-2007 at 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave
At least you know where you stand. If John Q. Public knew the damage a passive-aggressive waiter, bartender or cook can do, no one would eat out. :lol:

Great advice Dave. Always be pleasant when eating out, or you might just get the clean looking plate that was double dipped in the pot water and let dry.:lol:

Proud husband of a legal immigrant.
jeffw

[*] posted on 11-8-2007 at 03:57 PM

Its actually gotten so bad now, that all the truckers blow their horns the whole time passing this place!

I guess he stays in business because of the high traffic flow down that road, and unlucky tourists that don't know any better.....never see any locals there....!!

Will be interesting to see what the new four lane will do to him and his pet policy......maybe someone should built a pet boarding house next to his business! or a margarita bar that sells them for less than $12
vandenberg
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-8-2007 at 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Minnow
Tell me comitan. Doesn't this post, and the many others before it, make you want to round up all the stray dogs in your neighborhood and drop them on his doorstep.:biggrin:

They probably end up on the menu.:biggrin::biggrin:

Air Evacuation go to
vandenberg
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-8-2007 at 04:02 PM

Quote:
Quote:

As an ex restaurant and barman, truer words were never spoken.:P:lol::lol:

Air Evacuation go to
comitan
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-8-2007 at 04:12 PM

I wanted to reply but thought better of it, but Vandenberg you did good.

Strive For The Ideal, But Deal With What\'s Real.

Every day is a new day, better than the day before.(from some song)

Lord, Keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth.

“The sincere pursuit of truth requires you to entertain the possibility that everything you believe to be true may in fact be false”
Bajabus
Senior Nomad

Mood: My friends..it's good.

[*] posted on 11-9-2007 at 07:25 PM

I too lived full time a few miles south of him (I'm very part time now)and concur. The place is a major ripoff and the guy...well...my words would be better suited to the off topic area.

For the life of me I cannot comprehend how any cars are ever in front of that place. Must be the novelty of it.

"Preventive war was an invention of Hitler. Frankly I would not even listen to anyone seriously that came and talked of such a thing." Dwight David Eisenhower
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 11-9-2007 at 07:54 PM

This story reminds me of a similiar one back in the very early seventies, Laguna Beach. A popular beachfront restaurant called the Beach-House,[ I won't mention the name] had a steady, transient clientele. The owner, Gail Pike [ can't remember his name] was unmoved that the food leaving his kitchen was just short of poisenous. Didn't taste very good either.
He, the un-named Mr. Pike, reasoned when asked about his prepared sewage, that his clientele were tourists and would, in all probability, never come there again. He couldn't have cared less about food quality and if his customers got sick, they would probably do that in another town or on a plane.
Maybe this boner-head at Farts'n Beer went to the same school.
cabobaja
Nomad

Mood: Smiling

[*] posted on 11-9-2007 at 08:28 PM

Oh, forgot to mention..........his art sucks too!
amir
Senior Nomad

Mood: chiropractic

[*] posted on 11-9-2007 at 08:57 PM

I've been to Art & Beer a few times and never had a problem.
It's not true that truckers honk their horns there.
And the margaritas are 80 pesos not 12 dollars. But they are the biggest margaritas in the world and they keep refilling it, so you only buy one drink.
And you get a seafood appetizer plate with that drink and chips and salsa, and then you get a free beer on your way out.
If an establishment doesn't accept dogs, then don't take your dogs there. And most establishments don't appreciate you using their bathrooms if you are not there as a guest. Both complaints about dogs and bathroom are bogus.
Alfredo and Lourdes are very nice people, maybe if they were weird to someone it's because they are like mirrors and only reflected what was shown them.
And a dirt floor in a palapa? Is that a complaint? C'mon, this is Baja Sur!
And a dirt parking lot? Is that also a complaint? What do you expect? Around here only the Pemex has a paved parking lot!
And how can someone who just went there once say that "never see any locals there"?
I think it's great that an establishment can refuse service to anyone, and I also think it's great that they don't cater to demanding and unreasonable customers.
I wonder what the real story is of what happened to jeffw there, that he feels he needs to come here as a newbie with only 4 post and exaggerate.
Marie-Rose
Senior Nomad

Mood: Worried...

[*] posted on 11-9-2007 at 09:15 PM

Amir.
The situation about the dog I was referring to was no where near the bar... it was in his parking lot. It was just a meeting spot where a vehicle could stop and meet.
And yes, you do get seafood with the drink... we got 3 clams that were less than fresh. The owner was totallied rude to us when he was mistaken and corrected about a jazz musician he referred to and my husband ( who is a jazz musician) corrected him.
And... I cannot understand why, if someone stops to take a look at the "art" (and I do use this term loosely) one could not be allowed to use the bathroom....

Remember, when in Mexico, yes may be no and no may be
maybe!
 Pages:  1    3  4

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.