Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Southland Fishing
Osprey
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-14-2007 at 09:28 AM
Southland Fishing

Another Southland Fishing Report

Not a complaint but a celebration. The winter weatherman said yesterday would be calm and clear all day so I shoved off early to try my luck. We found lots of bait and fish feeding close to shore so we stayed in tight and got lots of action – a few roosterfish all about 10 pounds, 7 nice sierra. I expected some competition but only one small boat approached our area and made only a couple of passes.

We chased a traveling herd of dolphin until it became clear they were heading out to sea and just on the prowl, not feeding. All morning we watched the tuna fleet work their big boats very close to shore (less than 5 miles); a big factory ship and one siener with spreader doors and big nets had been hanging around night and day for about a week.

The sea was alive with big schools of barillette and all three of us had a ball fighting the 8 to 15 pound slashers each time we crossed their paths. We pressed on toward the east away from our launch site hoping for some keeper dorado. After almost an hour I was beginning to think grim thoughts about the tuneros sweeping the whole area for the last few days – envisioning the tons of tuna, dorado, billfish and baitfish now frozen in their flash-freezer holds or processed and iced down in huge plastic crane bins.

A single hotel charter cruiser stopped just east of the Punta Colorado resort to boat a fish; I made a slow circle around him and picked up a nice 25 pound dorado on light tackle. We fought off the usual needlefish, martear, attacks on the way back in while trolling smaller hoochies for late sierra and were back safely on our calm beach by 11.

In summary: while we are all still holding our collective breaths about the outcome of the long overdue Governor’s report to Calderon about NOM 029, in my area we have one or two pangas that still use illegal purse nets inshore to harvest indiscrimanately and seiners raping the sea of everything that will fill a net, if you keep your eyes open, your heart light, your lines tight you can still have a nice day at sea, catch enough fish for a tasty dinner like the dorado empanizado I had last night.
Sallysouth
Super Nomad

Mood: missing Baja...

[*] posted on 11-14-2007 at 10:41 AM

Nice report Osprey! Sounds like you had a great morning on the water and made good use of every moment.You reminded me of a day we spent on Carmen,Marquer Bay to be exact.We anchored the boat "El Fuerte" and swam ashore with lunches and snorkle gear, ready for a relaxing day on the beach.Within just a few minutes, two pangas came into the bay and spread their nets all across the bay, taking everything they could from the water. Really frustrating watching them and unable to do anything about it.And they call it a "protected Marine Park" HA!:no:

Happiness is just a Baja memory away...
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-14-2007 at 01:21 PM

Sally,

There was a thread about Loreto's Marine Park about a year ago. I believe it was Pam's. As I recall Mexicans are allowed to net in the park for certain species and at certain times of the year. There is no total ban on fishing. They're allowed to fish for yellowtail in that area. That's what got people all riled up.
Sallysouth
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-15-2007 at 03:06 PM

I hear ya Skipjack, but theses guys took everything in the nets.There really didn't seem to be anyone "protecting" the area.I did think that they had banned those huge nets, however I guess I am wrong.They spread them from one end of the bay to the other so nothing could get in OR out of the bay.And they try to blame overfishing on the personal fisherpeople??Don't think it even comes close!!

Osprey
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-15-2007 at 06:57 PM

Don't need a bump but to add insult to injury 2 cameroneros, shrimpers, showed up yesterday and will probably be sweeping our inshore area til they are convinced no living thing remains on the fertile sandy bottoms. Normally I wouldn't care so much but when and if the business end of the net has little shrimp catch from the bottom they often raise the spreader boards, the nets, to harvest all the rest of the fish in the inshore environment, flash freeze it, sell it legally as bycatch.
Sallysouth
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-16-2007 at 07:01 PM

I have a serious problem with this.When they "legally" take everything in the nets, That depletes so much of the surrounding sea environment.That means no bait, no food for the locals, no bigger fish waiting for the Fish for Dinner! It is so sad to see them rape as they do and "legally" also.I would guess that a lot of the bycatch may not even be fit for dinner.So much waste....:mad::(:no:

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.