Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Laguna Salada/Baja Pole Line Road
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

Mood: Its Pole Line Road time

[*] posted on 12-18-2007 at 03:09 PM
Laguna Salada/Baja Pole Line Road

The Baja Pole Line Road did not disappoint. Roughly 180 miles of broken-down telephone access road that has been reduced in many places to rubble. What was once hand-laid cobblestone in many places has become off-camber sections of road where flexible suspensions and a good off-road tire are what will get you through.

Our group of 4 vehicles met at the Pep Boys on Imperial Blvd. just a few blocks north of the Internation Border. Our Pole Line #7 group consisted of:

Ken Cooke - '03 Tomb Raider Rubicon

Victor Chacon & friend Sean - '05 Rubicon Unlimited

Tom Wimberly - '93 Toyota 4WD pickup

Dan and Glenda Goulet - '83 Toyota FJ40

After a brief drivers meeting, our group crossed the border and traveled to Progreso - west of Mexicali on Hwy 2 where we gassed up our vehicles and immediately stopped for tacos de carne asada and old-style Coca Cola out of the bottle. Yummy!

After our quick lunch break, it was off to the Laguna Salada where we met up with full-time San Felipe resident and Laguna Salada aficionado Jorge Jimenez. Jorge showed up to let us know that he had wanted to attend this trip, but because of time-constraints, I was not able to write him back, so he sadly just showed up to see if our trip was still a go. For his efforts, I rewarded him with a new 2007 BAJA GRANDE event t-shirt and a smile. This really made Jorge's day, but he warned us: "Be careful venturing out into the Laguna Salada...it rained 2 weeks ago, and the ground is muddy in some places." Looking out into the vast salt flats, you could see patches of water, and muddy tire-tracks where vehicles obviously had become stuck. We took our chances, said, "Adios" to Jorge and to his ride-along buddy, and hoped for the best.

Most years, the Laguna Salada is typically a smooth-surfaced desert playa where dust kicks up, and the driving is smooth at 40 miles per hour and above. There is no washboard to think of, and before you know it, you have passed Canyon Tajo, the olive plantation and the world-famous Guadalupe Canyon hot springs, and you are just a few miles north of Cohabuzo Junction. Well, this wasn't most years.

Being that there were 2 Toyotas and 2 Rubicons on this trip, there was already a sense of competition between the two sets of vehicles. Victor and I ventured into the salt flats first, both wearing brand-spanking new tires. Victor runs the 35" Mickey Thompson Baja MTZ tires on his all-black LJ Rubicon. My 33" TrXus MTs are known to pack in the mud, but with reliable sidewalls and tread that safely goes for 40,000 miles, I was happy to be running my 3rd set. The Toyota boys were running the more conservative BFG All-Terrain KO tires. Tom ran the 31's on his Toyota pickup while Dan runs the 33"x10.5's on his FJ 40.

Within minutes, Victor and I were sliding uncontrollably in 2WD through what felt like greased ball bearings. Absolutely no control from behind the wheel of our swaybar-disconnected, aired down rigs. After sliding diagonally into darker mud, I was able to spin the Jeep around and take it back to firm pack dirt. Further up the road, Jorge was watching in his rear view mirror and he returned to offer us assistance it traveling west to the graded road which runs high above the mud bogs along a washboarded, but newly graded dirt road along the aluvial fan, below the snow-capped Sierra Juarez mountain range.

Before we knew it, we were traveling past the Cohabuzo Junction and we made it to the base of "The Summit Road" where we set up camp, had ourselves a nice bonfire, and called it a night. The next morning, our destination was the Canyon Jaquegel oasis. Complete with Native American ruins, flowing cold water from an active spring, sand and rock-lined beaches, and carved deep into the ground to avoid the ubiquitous night winds that are a bane to Baja campers, Canyon Jaquegel has it all - almost. Reaching Canyon Jaquegel is another story.

Our group reached Basketball hill in record time - just 3 hours past the Summit wash. But, we had a major problem - a boulder had blocked entrance to Basketball Hill, and my 9K# winch didn't even make the rock budge. A go-around had been constructed which takes vehicles high above the blockage and around the trouble. With locking differentials, the piles of rocks and boulders can be effectively negotiated, allowing vehicles to make it to the top of Basketball Hill for a view of the Sierra Juarez peaks to the west, and the Sierra Tinajas to the northeast. After making record time to the top of Basketball Hill, our group stopped for a group photo atop this challenging obstacle, and we set up camp in the majestic Jaquegel with 2 spare hours of sunlight on our side.

The next morning, Dan, Tom, and myself went hiking up the canyon in search of the Native American hunting shelters which can be found upstream. After walking up the stream, where two streams diverge into one, a steep mogul with carved out hideaways allowed for Native American hunters to wait for their prey. After shooing the animals up the hill, they would run straight into the path of hunters who would spear their kill, and the food would be prepared on the assortment of flat-faced stones which literally blanket the area. At first, we could not locate this historic site, but after stopping to reorient myself, the moguls and the fork in the river provided clues as to where the hunting grounds could be found. Tom and I easily hiked down to this area, and after a brief walkthrough, we hiked back to camp, packed up our vehicles, and traveled back towards Highway 5.

The condition of the trail has deteriorated slightly from last year. Washouts have become more prevalent, but regardless, our vehicles were able to complete this rocky trail on the last day in just 3 hours. Tom led our group past the very last visible telephone pole to the La Ventana exit since this would avoid our going near the southern reaches of the Laguna Salada which would have meant "Stucks-ville" had we attempted it.

Taco de Baja
Super Nomad

Mood: Dreamin' of Baja

[*] posted on 12-18-2007 at 03:22 PM

Nice trip report.
Any pictures of the hairy sections? Action shots?

Truth generally lies in the coordination of antagonistic opinions
-Herbert Spencer
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-18-2007 at 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Taco de Baja
Nice trip report.
Any pictures of the hairy sections? Action shots?

I have tons. Maybe tonight I will have them online...

surfer jim
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-19-2007 at 09:22 AM

...and I thought the TECATE police said NOT to come back......;)
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-19-2007 at 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by surfer jim
...and I thought the TECATE police said NOT to come back......;)
At the border, the Border Patrol asked me why I was traveling so much. He heard all about all of us Jeepers getting kicked out of Tecate, but the Border Patrol guy didn't think it was funny. It had me cracking up though! :lol:

HotSchott
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-19-2007 at 04:07 PM

So you were not able to cross the laguna? It sounds like you just took the graded road to La Ventana or did I miss something. Let me know.
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-19-2007 at 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by HotSchott
So you were not able to cross the laguna? It sounds like you just took the graded road to La Ventana or did I miss something. Let me know.
We opted out of the dry lake bed (which was wet), and we drove instead on the graded road. It was safer, and who wants salty mud covering up a nice vehicle?

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.