Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Nomads Visit Coyote Bay
Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 1-13-2008 at 10:45 PM
Nomads Visit Coyote Bay

Asuncion Nomads Abandon Cold Pacific for Warm Cortez!
-

(Just kidding, shari, juan, diane, john and the rest....you will get them back soon enough.);D

We have had many sightings of BajaNomads lately.

Nomad Diver and his family recently left Asuncion are now camped at their old spot on Playa Requeson..relaxing there before heading down to La Ventana to continue their Baja adventures.

While camping on the beach, son Zack and daughter Isabel, used some of their saved money to bargain with a beach vendor.

Here's Zack carefully counting his money...in preparation for his bargaining session.

Both buyers and seller came away with a good deal.

Diver stopped by mi casa in Coyote Bay to say hello and visit a spell. We had the pleasure of meeting the family and having them for dinner a couple years ago. He said great things about the family's doings over at Asuncion, a place I’ve not been back to in over 20 years. From his current description of the area, I’m going to get over there as soon as possible...gotta find out about those jurel for myself! He told me of a huge one that broke off his 50lb test...not cut off on the rocks, but busted the line clean.

Quite a coincidence today....because the last time I was at Asuncion was by bushplane with my old Baja amigo, Dusty...and today Dusty & his co-pilot fly in out of the wild blue yonder, buzzing the house..the same day Diver's family comes from Asuncion to Conception Bay. We had gone into Mulege and out to El Patron near the lighthouse for some delicious almejas. Later on we were to have a good reunion of Baja amigos at the Serinadad with stories of that Pacific shore.

While Diver and I were yakking at my place we decided to go on a mission. Diver had some problems with his 15hp Merc....again (I recall that old post you made about that engine, Diver. Still a little skittish, is it?) Diver had it with him so we took it into Mulege to look up a good outboad mechanic. Oscar's was the place to go and we found him at his shop on the old ice-plant road...just past the main highway turn-off.

We explained the motor's problems..which seem to be fuel-related. He looked it over, then said...'No problema, I can fix it.'

"Great, Oscar", I said, "How long will it take?"

"Only 2-3 hours” Oscar says...then smiles, ”Mexican time."

I look at Diver and say, "It's Saturday, right?"

Oscar grins from ear to ear.

Diver grins back and says, "Yeah, we'll see you Monday."

We headed over to the Jungla along the river to yak with some fishing buddies and help another old amigo, Burt, to celebrate his birthday. We talk about fishing, hunting doves & quail, and the general state of world affairs before heading back to mi casa. Needed to get cleaned up and ready to head back into Mulege later. We had decided earlier to join Dusty and his galfriend at the Saturday night Serinadad pig roast..an old tradition that most of us have been to more than a few times.

The Serinadad scene is almost the same as it was 35 years ago when I first started spending Saturday nights there. Heck, back then that place was where everyone got together for some great date-fed barbequed pork..with lots of dancing and socializing...foreigners and locals alike. If 200 people showed up...you knew them all, except for the weekend fly-ins... a real fun event. Guillermo is still in charge of the pig roasting and cutting...he waves a welcome and remembers I dearly love meat on the bone.

The same mariachi players that I first knew are still playing...along with a couple grandkids now. Max, Pelon, Hugo,..almost all the old bunch of guys are still playing and it’s like seeing them in 1970 all over again. We had some good hellos and requested some old favorites..."Cielito Lindo", "Guantanamera", "Guadalajara", "Piel Canela", "El Nino" ..ah, it was all good...oldies, but goodies time.

A special treat was when a couple of youngsters...aged 5-7..played their guitars along with the adults..then came over to our table to be introduced to Diver’s daughter, Isabel, who is destined to be a real heartbreaker. One little fellow named Carlitos was particularly smitten. Some mention of ‘mi novia’ was made.

Then Diver’s wife and son are out on the dance floor and showed us all how to dance..and they were a hit...drawing applause from everyone there.

The evening was Baja classic at the Serinadad and we will look forward to doing more of them with good friends.

Diver's family, Dusty & copilot, and some other Coyote amigos will come to our house for dinner Monday. Alejendro, fishing guide and good friend will supply jumbo shrimp. A group effort, I promised a bonfire in the patio firepit..(hopefully no explosions this time)..and some fishing lure trading.

If any of you are near our area, stop by and enjoy some Baja times with us.

Maybe a photo or two will show up here, too...you never know...but the chances are good..
-

[Edited on 1-18-2008 by Pompano]

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 1-14-2008 at 07:35 AM

great one Pomp! sure wish i was back there.
is it getting warmer yet?
see you in feb.

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-14-2008 at 07:49 AM

Hola Mike,...it's clear and sunny again this morning..visibility & ceiling unlimited..64F in the shade right now and will warm to mid-70's I expect. Gonna be a little afternoon wind according to our firepit forecast last night.

Dusty came down in his little Citabria..have you ever flown one of those? Cool airplane and really responsive! Come on by when you get back..hasta pronto.

Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-14-2008 at 08:22 AM

Excellent post...thanks!

Zac

shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 1-14-2008 at 08:32 AM

Gald everyone is having a good time...just to let ya know, the last 4 days have been downright tropical here...very hot and windless!! there is even a gentle southerly breeze....weird! Just as well all you yanks are on the other side...it's FULL of Canadians here this week!!! eh

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
Natalie Ann
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-14-2008 at 09:02 AM

Very nice little report, Roger, both words and photos. Sounds like y'all are managing a good time.;D
Oh that I could take you up on your invite to drop by... but not just yet. You know I'll be waiting for the photo report.

Nena

Be yourself, everyone else is already taken.
.....Oscar Wilde
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 1-14-2008 at 09:10 AM

Great report! Cool hats!!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

capt. mike
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-14-2008 at 11:52 AM

no, J-3 cub is closest, up in Camas WA several years ago, i was in the back seat and Capt. Dave scared the bee jezus out of me tree hopping along the columbia river valley.
warm sounds good, all of march will be nice.

who's having a super dooper bowl party down there - mulege anywhere - ?
might be a good reason to come down after the next weekend's games are done.

\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-14-2008 at 12:12 PM

Roger
You might just see Jim and I too.
Probably be after the 26th. Anyone going to be there then?
Looks like you have been having quite a good time.
cheers

Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-14-2008 at 01:40 PM
bajajudy....you betcha!

Be sure to come on in anytime, Judy. We are here and will be glad to see you. Always have room for more friends...especially Nomads. A few oldtimers are showing up for a reunion of sorts. Am driving to Loreto to pick up grizzled old compadre, Randy, on 27th.

Here is what Randy and I looked like in Coyote in '73...and a few years later. He is positively ancient now....

- 0 1a (9) (Medium).jpg - 44kB

Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 1-14-2008 at 01:57 PM

Pompano,:D You've got my vote for "best scense" of humor among Nomads posting on this forum.:D:D
Bajagypsy
Super Nomad

Mood: Living the dream

[*] posted on 1-14-2008 at 02:36 PM

Diver and Family, Very jelous that you are still in Baja!!!
:P
Glad to see you are having so much fun!!!:D:D

DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-14-2008 at 04:31 PM
Diver

Shari is correct!

The weather changed right when you left! It has been quite warm and just beautiful----ummm, will it go back to being colder and rainy if you return? :tumble::lol::lol:

Have a great time and tell Mrs. Diver that we took her last bags of trash to the dump---did not get the pile of other things, maybe next time, but we also got that awful old falling apart seat from a car that was right along the road.

See ya later
John and Diane

Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-15-2008 at 12:45 PM
Monday night dinner and bonfire

Monday comes...and we are hustling around Mulege getting some needed dinner supplies, plus the regular weekly produce shopping.

This great market is the tienda of my good friend, Manuel Cuesta, right across from Ramon's carnitas. He has excellent produce from his ranch and others in the fertile Mulege valley.

-
More importantly, the time-honored ritual of exchanging empty Pacificos for full ones...stopping at the Jungla to visit with amigos and have a refreshing michelada...plus meet Diablo.

-
ferrying people back and forth from the Serinadad airstrip..visiting with Alejendro at the resort's c-cktail bar..

-
I get to sport my brand new Nomads cap that Diver gave me.

-
..it's now Happy Hour, so we be stopping at the Junlga to have anudder refroshing michelada....a little kidding, here.

Diver and family join the group for dinner and fun at Coyote Bay. Zack brings his tackle box to show me his best fishcatchers and Isabel exhibits her remarkable computer skills.

Looking at tackle reminds to take a quick look in the back yard to see if the new center console a friend brought down is still there. We'll be needing that....

-

I love these impromtu Baja dinners when your guests also happen to be chefs. Mi amigo, Dusty, was in charge of grilling the pre-marinated shrimp that Alejendro supplied. Folks were hovering around that aromic grilltop. We also had a couple kilos of large rock scallops, but looked at the feast already in progress and decided that those would be appetizers for manana. Diver's wife, Pam, made a killer spinach salad and the big bowl was scraped clean. Large, freshly-cut pinapple rounds were marinated and grilled to perfection...(jeez, I am getting hungry again just writing this)...fresh, crusty French loaf chunks dipped in luscious red wine...Baja life is good.

Our Coyote neighbors brought some more excellent reds, plus one hunter/fisher amigo brought me a supply of elk jerky..which I shall selfishly hoard for upcoming fishing trips on the new Whaler;D

After a helluva great dinner and good conversations, it's time to touch off the firepit.
-

-
There is nothing quite like a good bonfire!

Due to some windage miscalculations and drifting live-ash, we had just a slight lull while putting out a few pesky sparks at the neighbors.

- Back to the bonfire fun!

For the kid's dessert..that old campfire favorite...S'mores!

-

We look at the night sky and see that the wind gods predict a calm morning...so manana we will go kayaking in Concepton Bay.

I will post pics of the ones who make it back.
-

[Edited on 1-15-2008 by Pompano]

capt. mike
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-15-2008 at 04:08 PM

hey - does that mean the mesquite wood is gone now??

aquaholic
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-15-2008 at 06:50 PM

...Pomp...your friend sure has good taste in boats...you'll have to post a trip report after you give it a good workout...I'll expect an invite for the fish fry shortly...
rpleger
Super Nomad

Mood: Was good.

[*] posted on 1-16-2008 at 09:24 AM

Great report Roger...Keep it up.

Richard on the Hill

*ABROAD*, adj. At war with savages and idiots. To be a Frenchman abroad is to
be miserable; to be an American abroad is to make others miserable.
-- Ambrose Bierce, _The Enlarged Devil\'s Dictionary_
Baja Bernie
`Normal` Nomad Correspondent

Mood: Just dancing through life

[*] posted on 1-16-2008 at 06:32 PM
Thunder God

A little old and a little new..........great mix.......thanks

My smidgen of a claim to fame is that I have had so many really good friends. By Bernie Swaim December 2007
Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-17-2008 at 06:30 AM
Still some lena for you, capt mike...

Quote:
Originally posted by capt. mike
hey - does that mean the mesquite wood is gone now??

Mike, there is plenty of lena left for you, but you will need a log-splitter now. I have chain-sawed all the limbs and stacked them with my firewood supply.

You should get here quick to avoid the rush...it's a cold winter ahead, amigo! Come thirsty...

- 0 abackyardjob (Custom) (2).jpg - 47kB

Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-17-2008 at 07:15 AM
Will do, compadre..

Quote:
Originally posted by aquaholic
...Pomp...your friend sure has good taste in boats...you'll have to post a trip report after you give it a good workout...I'll expect an invite for the fish fry shortly...

This great-looking and well-built center console belongs to my long-time amigo, Nomad aquaholic. It's a 21ft Boston Whaler Outrage with a 175hp Merc OptiMax on the stern, well-equipped with fish finding sonar/gps/plotter/bimini/ and built-in everything. Whalers are one of the best-built boats and the Outrage model is highly-prized by fishermen the world over..with the 21' being particulary well-suited for the short chop of the Cortez.

She runs muy beuno in the bay, old friend. Thanks for getting it here and looking forward to giving it a good sea test and some bloody decks.

- 0.jpg - 44kB

Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.