Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Finally doin' my report - Baja Nov '07
DonnaMare
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-20-2008 at 07:34 PM
Finally doin' my report - Baja Nov '07

Stayed in Cabo S L at Cabo Inn
Wouldn't stay there again.
Very dirty wall next to my bed. Room desperately needed a new coat of paint. Drain in shower icky. Bathroom very funky. Guy running the place was helpful sometimes but also tended to be critical of me if I expressed a need. And I am NOT a complaining tourist type. I have traveled around the world and lived in India, etc. I felt like this guy had potential to be a bit of jerk.

More on Cabo S L:
Liked Mariscos Mazatlan for dinner. Captain Tony's at Marina has wood burning oven so their pizzas should be good. When I was there I had a great meal of fresh tuna, caught that day, by some guys that my girl friend and I met, which Captain Tony's cooked up. VERY GOOD!

Zapatas was good for breakfast. Sweet waitress.

Todos Santos:
Restuarants here are more pricey. Cafe Todos Santos had good food but a crappy waitress and a stubborn cook who refused to do a small salad for me. (I didn't want one of the big ones and hoped a small simple one might be possible...)

El Zaguan is a cute simple restaurant on Juarez. Has organic salad.

La Paz
Stayed at Angel Azul B&B. Attractive, but the woman owner could be a lot friendlier.... you know, like what you expect from a B&B... chatting with the owner.... the owner taking an interest in the guests.... Doesn't happen here although the place has a nice arsty style & comfy beds.

Restaurants in La Paz:
France's La Boheme in Calle Esquerro, very good, has chilean wines, good salads, friendly, un-prentious, pretty courtyard. Feels elegant but it's not expensive.

Not impressed with La Pazta which has gotten great reviews. The owner is nice but the decor is SO BLAND and the ambiance is bland and the music was very bland too. Just no LIFE.

La Tres Virgenes in Calle Madero has a lovely courtyward, nice atmosphere.

Same owner owns Tanino down the street where chef Miguel is very sweet. Menu a bit limited. $12 to $18 a plate. Across street is Bufalo BBQ owned by same person. Focuses on hamburgers, ribs, etc. Back Patio with brick oven/grill.

Clearly this is the one of THE streets in La Paz for restaurants. Although I'd not seen any on the forums talk about it before I left on the trip.

For simple pizza at a cute little place, try Toscana Pizza on Constitucion y Belizario Dominguez.

For authentic mexican tacos al pastor and alambra, try Rancho Viejo, don't recall street. Near marina, up a few blocks from water.

Loved Tecolote Beach. Liked the simplicity. Don't know how long it'll last.

Cabo Pulmo:
Drive took 2 hours and 15 minutes from La Paz. Stayed in a bungalow that was very spacious, comfy beds, nice sheets, well equipped kitchen, good shower, although the drain had some issues. The place had no view though, and not any particular garden... but it was a short walk to the beach. Got it through: cabopulmocasas@gmail.com

East Cape road was worth doing.

Liked the colonial look of San Jose del C. Seemed to have quite a few good restaurants. Ate at Baan Thai. Attractive, good food. Pricey, at least for my budget.

Baja Brewing company was about to open. Started up by a guy from Boulder (where I live. )

That's all folks. Please feel free to comment or ask questions. I know this is kind of brief but it's the best I do right now.

Peace Love & Fish Tacos!
CaboRon
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Peacefull

[*] posted on 1-21-2008 at 09:35 AM

Donna Marie,

Enjoyed your trip report ..... but next time could you bring your camera ? Would love to see some pics. I too enjoy Tres Virgenes and their gringo baker makes an authentic French roll.... crisp on the outside and the best tasking bread in La Paz.....

CaboRon

DonnaMare
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-21-2008 at 12:17 PM

My friend had her digital camera and we took lots of pics. Including topless, LOL! are we allowed to post them here? he he.....;)
DonnaMare
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-21-2008 at 12:19 PM

By the way, I should have clarified in my report that the woman running El Angel Azul in La Paz is SWISS and not Mexican...
CaboRon
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-21-2008 at 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DonnaMare
My friend had her digital camera and we took lots of pics. Including topless, LOL! are we allowed to post them here? he he.....;)

You can send the topless ones directly to my e-mail box... that way Nomad will not get in a snit. :lol::lol:

CaboRon

jack
Nomad

Mood: Eat Heavy

[*] posted on 1-21-2008 at 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by CaboRon
Quote:

You can send the topless ones directly to my e-mail box... that way Nomad will not get in a snit. :lol::lol:

CaboRon

Maybe we can send Nomad to Baja for a few days while the pictures are being posted. :P
Ken Bondy
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Mellow

[*] posted on 1-21-2008 at 01:18 PM

Nice report DonnaMare, thanks. Disappointing to hear about La Pazta, it was always a favorite of mine but it's been several years since I've been there. Anxious to see the photos --- ALL of them :)

++Ken++
Heather
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-22-2008 at 12:55 PM

So, Cabo Inn is that the campground area, down by the water? We stayed there a couple of years ago, and I agree the owner was a real jerk. The wife was nice, but he was just an arrogant SOB. H.
obafla

Mood: hitchhiking hwy 1

[*] posted on 1-22-2008 at 07:06 PM

thanks for information. Hope to drive down to LaPaz in May. Ensenada is has been my southern-most adventure.
DonnaMare
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-22-2008 at 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Heather
So, Cabo Inn is that the campground area, down by the water? We stayed there a couple of years ago, and I agree the owner was a real jerk. The wife was nice, but he was just an arrogant SOB. H.

Umm, no, it wasn't a camp ground, but bordering on camp ground for how funky it was. I mean, it could be a decent buget hotel if they would give the rooms a new coat of paint and not let the walls get so dirty... But no, it was not a campground and was not next to the water. It was near Mariscos Mazatlan. A few block inland from the mall. The guy I was referring to is young, I believe the son of the main guys who is usually there.
DonnaMare
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-22-2008 at 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ken Bondy
Nice report DonnaMare, thanks. Disappointing to hear about La Pazta, it was always a favorite of mine but it's been several years since I've been there. Anxious to see the photos --- ALL of them :)

++Ken++

OK, I gotta figure out how to post photos. My photos always seem to be too big when I try to post them to forums and I don't always seem to have good luck making them smaller...
DonnaMare
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-22-2008 at 08:31 PM

Quote:

CaboRon

Funny! :bounce: Well... lets see.... do you have a wife who's gunna get in a snit?

[Edited on 1-23-2008 by DonnaMare]
CaboRon
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-25-2008 at 08:15 PM

Quote:
Quote:

CaboRon

Funny! :bounce: Well... lets see.... do you have a wife who's gunna get in a snit?

[Edited on 1-23-2008 by DonnaMare]

No, no wife. And there are no snits living with me :lol::lol:

CaboRon

DonnaMare
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-6-2008 at 02:56 PM

I have tried to post a picture. I am being told it can't be more than 50KB.. I don't get how to make it that small. I got it down to 80KB and it's getting miniscule.

[Edited on 2-6-2008 by DonnaMare]

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.