Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: BAJA BISCUITS
bajajazz
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-24-2008 at 04:42 PM
BAJA BISCUITS

I had a great downhome pigout of homemade biscuits and spicy sausage gravy this morning at a new little restaurant in La Paz called Baja Biscuits. First time I've enjoyed that kind of meal since living in the Arizona mountains, at a little joint where one of Barry Goldwater's sons (dead ringer for the old man, kind of spooky) was a frequent customer-- and it was a real treat.

Baja Biscuits is owned and run by a nice young couple from Tampa, Florida, named Ace and Linda Shawver. They're located at 1251 Belizario Dominguez, about three doors from the corner of Cinco de Mayo in La Paz on the west (water) side of the street. They're open for breakfast, brunch or lunch from 8 AM to 12:30 or 1 PM, Wednesdays through Saturdays.

Besides offering a great plate of buttery biscuits with spicy sausage gravy, they also serve breakfast burritos, homemade quiche, waffles with strawberries and whipped cream, cinnamon buns, bagels with flavored cream cheese, fruit salad, coffee and tea. And, they make their own sausage and may be offering it as a separate, take-home item.

For a breakfast freak like me Baja Biscuits is a godsend and another fine addition to a neighborhood that already boasts some of the best restaurants in La Paz.

To Ace and Linda and their kids -- thank you for doing what you're doing, and welcome to La Paz! :bounce::bounce:
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 1-24-2008 at 04:47 PM

What type of sausage are they using?
bajajazz
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-24-2008 at 05:14 PM
BAJA BISCUITS

The lumpy kind you usually get in gravy.

Don't actually know -- they're making it themselves but I didn't ask about ingredients. It was tasty though, had some real flavor for a change.:lol:
vacaenbaja
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-24-2008 at 06:08 PM

Sweeney Todd Knows?
BMG
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-24-2008 at 06:19 PM

Sounds good to me. Will give it a try.

I think the world is run by C- students.
Al G
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Wondering what is next???

[*] posted on 1-24-2008 at 06:32 PM

I wish you would not have reported it.....:(:(:(
Now I will be there every chance I get.....:biggrin::cool:

Albert G
Remember, if you haven\'t got a smile on your face and laughter in your heart, then you are just a sour old fart!....

The most precious thing we have is life, yet it has absolutely no trade-in value.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 1-24-2008 at 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajajazz
The lumpy kind you usually get in gravy.

That's all I need to know. I'm on my way.
oldjack
Nomad

Mood: retired

[*] posted on 1-25-2008 at 07:40 PM

had the bisuits/gravy this a.m.... very good.... also tried Linda's quiche w/potatoe crust also very good... they are closes SUN/Mon/Tues and only open from 8-12 plan accordingly..........breakfast burrito looked to big to sample... maybe next time.
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

lol.gif posted on 1-25-2008 at 07:48 PM
Watch that rear-end

The official state meal in Oregon. You can tell by their physique. I guess some people like that kind of food. Really "sticks" to your ribs et all :lol:
Hmmm, I wonder if people ever thought about the nutritional/dietary value of such. Naaaa...:lol:
Not a good food to promote methinks but hey they understand demographics obviously. I think it's hilarious to name your restaurant Bigass Bisquits & Gravy.

Oh well...it's like beating a dead horse.

End of sermon.

DON\'T SQUINT! Give yer eyes a break!
Try holding down [control] key and toggle the [+ and -] keys

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
BMG
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-25-2008 at 08:08 PM
Went to Baja Biscuits this morning.

We had a very enjoyable breakfast and I would recommend it. All the food was served piping hot.

Biscuits - excellent (order butter on the side unless you like lots of butter)

Biscuits and gravy - very good (no lumps though so can't call it homemade:lol:)

Spinach quiche - very good

Breakfast burrito - excellent

Coffee - excellent

Orange juice - fair

IMG_5243.jpg - 45kB

I think the world is run by C- students.
Al G
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-25-2008 at 08:25 PM

Hey sharks...we all know it a heart attack on a plate...does that change anything, when you grew up with the best food ever made???
You give a old soul the choice of elegant breakfast or biscuits and gravy like my mama taught me to make...the only reason elegant meal sell is we all know about heart attacks...
I do think it is a good thing the younger generations are not exposed to real food:lol::coolup:
Texas country boy...Albert
PS...there is a lot more food to this story...:biggrin:

Albert G
Remember, if you haven\'t got a smile on your face and laughter in your heart, then you are just a sour old fart!....

The most precious thing we have is life, yet it has absolutely no trade-in value.
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-25-2008 at 08:51 PM
Tell it like it is

Quote:
Originally posted by Al G
Hey sharks...we all know it a heart attack on a plate...does that change anything, when you grew up with the best food ever made???
You give a old soul the choice of elegant breakfast or biscuits and gravy like my mama taught me to make...the only reason elegant meal sell is we all know about heart attacks...
I do think it is a good thing the younger generations are not exposed to real food:lol::coolup:
Texas country boy...Albert
PS...there is a lot more food to this story...:biggrin:

Well Al, like I always said,food is subjective. I was watching a movie from the sixties showing masses of the general public. There were not any fat people that I could see.
When people excuse their diet simply because something tastes good then we're on the right track to the root of the problem. Of course people don't see it as a problem"it's my body" they say. What a crock. The next generation is supposed to have a shortened lifespan for the FIRST time.
That bothers me because it means that these people who constatly indulge in this type of eating surely will overtax our health care system. Why should I have to pay for someones health that could be controlled by conscientious eating. Don't get me wrong, it is ok to eat heart unhealthy foods occasionally. The problem I seee is the proliferation of corporate food products that lack little or ANY nutrition.
Another point is the products addicting additives. It might behoove some folks to look at the ingredients more closely. People these days hardly scrutinize what goes into their meal. Biscuits and gravy is a perfect example.
I know what I say means diddly to anyone really. I just don't get it. I guess it's whatever makes you feel good......until that fateful day you learn you and your 12 yr old son have diabetes or you have to undergo a quadruple bypass. That will MAKE you change your habits, or not. Especially when famous aging fat actors try to sell you blood testing equipment. I guess that reinforces that it's ok to be that way. Wow, what a society we live in!:no:
So go ahead, keep thinking that mom was serving you the wrong foods. Not true I'll bet. I'll bet your parents didn't get fat until the packaged and prepared food market took off in the 80s.
Oh.... and don't forget to exercise regularly.

You mean elegant food can't taste good? How rediculous.

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
comitan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 1-25-2008 at 09:09 PM

Sharkes its good to see we're on the same soap box, they won't listen! but when it strikes they'll wish they had.

Strive For The Ideal, But Deal With What\'s Real.

Every day is a new day, better than the day before.(from some song)

Lord, Keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth.

“The sincere pursuit of truth requires you to entertain the possibility that everything you believe to be true may in fact be false”
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 1-25-2008 at 09:31 PM

worked with a guy who went to the gym everyday, hiked, biked and went swimming as a regular workout, The guy ate fish, chicken and salads, drank soy and green tea. A real healthy specimin that made the rest of us look like sloths. he was killed when he was ran over by a bus crossing the street on one of his jogging trips

Since then, I don't pass up anything that "could be bad" for me............eat dessert first!!!!

Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-25-2008 at 09:56 PM
Just looking out for your heart

"Just my meaningless dos centavos"

That's how I see it too.;D I suppose it is a waste of time to espouse to an alternative.Sorry man just the line of work I'm in. I didn't say NOT to eat there. There are plenty of foods elsewhere that I feel the same way about. Just I see it so prominately here.
Sooooo you are defensive but then, so am I. I have opinions to express on the subject that I find relevant and important. I'm sorry if you don't. You have lots of company so do a push-up. If you can.:lol:
Actually if I had eaten there I wouldn't say a word about it here. Do you know why?:rolleyes:

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
JESSE
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-25-2008 at 10:06 PM

Went there this morning, tried the Biscuits and the Burrito, the food was pretty good and i think a good addition to the food scene here in La Paz. I will be going back.

Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-25-2008 at 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by soulpatch
Quote:
Originally posted by Sharksbaja
"Just my meaningless dos centavos"

That's how I see it too.;D I suppose it is a waste of time to espouse to an alternative.Sorry man just the line of work I'm in. I didn't say NOT to eat there. There are plenty of foods elsewhere that I feel the same way about. Just I see it so prominately here.
Sooooo you are defensive but then, so am I. I have opinions to express on the subject that I find relevant and important. I'm sorry if you don't. You have lots of company so do a push-up. If you can.:lol:
Actually if I had eaten there I wouldn't say a word about it here. Do you know why?:rolleyes:

Because you are a hypocryte and a food snob?
I bet that's the wrong answer...
Bye the bye, I was not defensive about it and if you would like to have a little push up contest..... well, that would just be damn funny.:lol: I guarantee you I would kick your hiney.:lol:

So you are ignorant or just plain stupid??

Pushups.... anytime hiney.

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
Al G
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-25-2008 at 10:17 PM

Well Al, like I always said,food is subjective. I was watching a movie from the sixties showing masses of the general public. There were not any fat people that I could see.

I am not sure which rocket I fired:lol:

Of course people don't see it as a problem"it's my body" they say. What a crock. The next generation is supposed to have a shortened lifespan for the FIRST time.

I just don't think this applies in California????I think I am the only fat person here:biggrin:
Do you know that people run so much here they not only have to repave the roads...they have to repave the sidewalks every year...

That bothers me because it means that these people who constatly indulge in this type of eating surely will overtax our health care system.
I thought we were talking about a couple of eat out breakfasts???
Why should I have to pay for someones health that could be controlled by conscientious eating. Don't get me wrong, it is ok to eat heart unhealthy foods occasionally. The problem I seee is the proliferation of corporate food products that lack little or ANY nutrition.
Another point is the products addicting additives. It might behoove some folks to look at the ingredients more closely. People these days hardly scrutinize what goes into their meal. Biscuits and gravy is a perfect example.

My god man...what do you put in your gravy???

I know what I say means diddly to anyone really. I just don't get it. I guess it's whatever makes you feel good......until that fateful day you learn you and your 12 yr old son have diabetes or you have to undergo a quadruple bypass. That will MAKE you change your habits, or not. Especially when famous aging fat actors try to sell you blood testing equipment. I guess that reinforces that it's ok to be that way. Wow, what a society we live in!

I believe you got my 50's food mixed up with your junk food of today...maybe?

So go ahead, keep thinking that mom was serving you the wrong foods. Not true I'll bet. I'll bet your parents didn't get fat until the packaged and prepared food market took off in the 80s.
My parents were never fat...both past at 84 and 89 years...they were turn of the century babies
Oh.... and don't forget to exercise regularly.
Damn ..does everyone have to keep reminding me:lol:
How come my parents didn't have to:biggrin:

You mean elegant food can't taste good? How rediculous. I did not say it does not taste good...just not as desirable.

The more I read this the more I think we are talking about different foods...

Albert G

Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-25-2008 at 10:25 PM

I always have had trouble in the food dept on this board. It's like insulting someones mother then trying to defend yourself. Good luck.
Desirable? That about sums it up Al, gracias.
Whatever you think is good food....must be good food. Now that supports my subjective theory. (sigh)

case closed

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
Al G
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-25-2008 at 10:51 PM

Hell Sharks...if you raise a kid on peanut butter, that is what he will desire. My favorite meal was pinto beans over sweet corn bread with a topping of chow-chow...still to this day it is my favorite. Great chefs give you variety and new...but you heart desires old...your new self desires new.
At my age it is all about health...and expect to live past my parents.
If I give up my old desires, the cost may be to high...after all we are here to enjoy ourselves...right?

Albert G

Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.