Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Day comes to the night in Baja
Gadget
Senior Nomad

Mood: Blessed with another day

[*] posted on 1-26-2008 at 01:31 PM
Day comes to the night in Baja

Recent fabrication project finished on GSB Bronco. Day will come to the night out front of GSB now. The eyeballs are getting worse at night so it was time for some serious improvements.

reduced.JPG - 35kB

"Mankind will not be judged by their faults, but by the direction of their lives." Leo Giovinetti

See you in Baja
http://www.LocosMocos.com
Gadget
Gadget
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-26-2008 at 01:33 PM

[Edited on 1-26-2008 by Gadget]

reduced1.JPG - 31kB

"Mankind will not be judged by their faults, but by the direction of their lives." Leo Giovinetti

See you in Baja
Gadget
Gadget
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-26-2008 at 01:34 PM

reduced2.JPG - 29kB

See you in Baja
Gadget
Gadget
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-26-2008 at 01:35 PM

reduced3.JPG - 25kB

See you in Baja
Gadget
Roberto
Banned

[*] posted on 1-26-2008 at 02:38 PM

Cool! Two Hella HIDs and two Hello 4000 pencil beams? Must have cost a pretty penny - right around 2k+ would be my guess. I have 4 pencil beams in front of the F350, two aimed wayyyy down the road, and two closer up, more towards the side. Given the amount of light those generate I can only imagine how much more your setup will provide.

Did you do the fabrication yourself? :O

When you gonna enter that thing and race it? :cool:

I guess you're not gonna listen to CaboRon and never drive at night? :lol::lol:

[Edited on 1-26-2008 by Roberto]
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-26-2008 at 04:02 PM

Very nice.
Gadget
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-27-2008 at 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Roberto
Cool! Two Hella HIDs and two Hello 4000 pencil beams? Must have cost a pretty penny - right around 2k+ would be my guess. I have 4 pencil beams in front of the F350, two aimed wayyyy down the road, and two closer up, more towards the side. Given the amount of light those generate I can only imagine how much more your setup will provide.

Did you do the fabrication yourself? :O

When you gonna enter that thing and race it? :cool:

I guess you're not gonna listen to CaboRon and never drive at night? :lol::lol:

[Edited on 1-26-2008 by Roberto]

The HIDs go for $450 per these days and the 4000s are 1/3 that. I will convert the 4000s to HID which was my plan to save costs, sometime soon. The stinking cromoly steel cost almost as much as one of the 4000s. Brutal!!

Yes, I do all my own fab work.

Yeah, I could enter in sportsman class and probably get it to finish, wouldn't pass tech for anything else as the cage is only 1.5" .120 DOM. I also can't see paying all that $$$ to enter the race. I do this for fun and exploration and just have to pay for gas expenses. A friend once said, "you can never get all the potential out of an off road race vehicle if you have funded and built it yourself." I would agree with that. I just couldn't flog it as much as needed in a race situation.
But heh, I'll co-drive or co-dog in anyone else's race rig out there that is looking :lol:

Never have not driven at night in the dirt. If you have never gone fast at night off road with some decent lighting you are missing a treat. You have amazing focus in the dark. No peripheral distractions. It's crazy fun :o

To put CaboRon at ease, I will continue to avoid driving on the hiway in the dark at all costs.

See you in Baja
Gadget
Roberto
Banned

[*] posted on 1-28-2008 at 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Gadget

Very, very nice work, too!
Gadget
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-28-2008 at 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Roberto
Quote:

Very, very nice work, too!

You're too kind. My welds are certainly not pro shop quality in appearance but I have never had any off em let go.
Some of the ugliest welds you have ever seen are on the underside of the rear bumper I built in my pa-in-laws shop for GSB many years ago. I have snatch strapped, chained, yanked and pulled on every imaginable stuck, broke and turned over rig and it is still going strong. He's a good teacher and all around really good dude. :yes:

See you in Baja
Gadget
BAJACAT
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-28-2008 at 02:33 PM

Here is my light system,ready for Matomi.

ps Just kidding guys.GADGET thats a sweet light system.If we do the matomi trip Im going to be behind you.
So shinne the way G^DGET

Niterider.JPG - 48kB

BAJA IS WHAT YOU WANTED TO BE, FUN,DANGEROUS,INCREDIBLE, REMOTE, EXOTIC..JUST GO AND HAVE FUN.....
Gadget
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-28-2008 at 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by whistler
Nice fab work,Gadget!!!May I ask what tube bender you have?I am thinking about ordering a Pro-tool 105hd bender.

We have a JD3 bender, went on E-bay and bought an 18" stroke hydraulic ram, built a stand with a pedestal base with casters at all 4 corners and bolted the bender to the center pole at bench height. It is so cool. You can put a 20 ft stick in it, push the ram control with your foot and as the tube bends it pushes against your side and rotates the whole pedestal. Small shop, pre-runner parked in your way with no running gear under it, friends boat in the way again??? No worries, you can bend almost anywhere and no tugging on that darn handle. :no::no:
I split the cost of the bender with a pal, we paid $80 winning bid on the ram, did our first bending project making the pedestal, numerous other friends have donated dies, so we have almost all of em now, and the thing gets used! One of the most honored tools in the Busted Knuckle fab shop next to the fridge. :lol:

See you in Baja
Gadget
Roberto
Banned

[*] posted on 1-28-2008 at 04:36 PM

Quote:
Some of the ugliest welds you have ever seen are on the underside of the rear bumper I built in my pa-in-laws shop for GSB many years ago.

I resemble that remark! Some of the ugliest welds ANYONE has ever seen are the ones I did ... well just about anywhere. Stickin' to it, though, they tell me practice makes perfect.:cool:
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 1-29-2008 at 08:27 AM

does anyone use nite vision goggles in a race? seems if helo guys can wear them and not suffer operational restrictions then off roaders could?
they are cheaper these days including the built in systems for heads up display. Doesn't Lincoln sell one option?

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
tripledigitken
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-29-2008 at 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by capt. mike
does anyone use nite vision goggles in a race? seems if helo guys can wear them and not suffer operational restrictions then off roaders could?
they are cheaper these days including the built in systems for heads up display. Doesn't Lincoln sell one option?

Race....? how about getting back from the Jungla to the Palapa!
:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 1-29-2008 at 12:18 PM

hell Ken - how about headed to the palapa from jungle and then remember i don't live there anymore!!:spingrin::yes:

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
Gadget
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-29-2008 at 02:03 PM

Stealth Trophy Trucks??? Sounds dangerous. Couldn't have any other lights or the light "pollution" would blind the goggles.

Besides, ask any of those muti-millionaire race truck drivers with 12 HIDs on it, chicks dig em! :biggrin:

See you in Baja
Gadget
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

Mood: Its Pole Line Road time

[*] posted on 1-29-2008 at 10:13 PM

Congrats on the lights. They will make your evening trips in the desert more fun. Before you know it, you'll be joining us for night runs just to play with your pickup in the dark. :light:

robrt8
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-29-2008 at 10:30 PM

:wow:
Gadget
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-30-2008 at 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ken Cooke
Congrats on the lights. They will make your evening trips in the desert more fun. Before you know it, you'll be joining us for night runs just to play with your pickup in the dark. :light:

Not the first lights on it, just more. I love driving in the dark. at 50 or 60 miles and hour we need a little more distance between vehicles than you Jeep guys do apparently. You guys are studs :yes: :!:

See you in Baja
Gadget
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-30-2008 at 07:31 PM

The Jeep guys don't drive fast, they just like to crawl over huge rocks. Some as big as the Jeep. They do need good lights to see if they lost anyone.
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.