Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Penn 113HN Baja Special
Santiago
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-30-2008 at 06:36 AM
Penn 113HN Baja Special

I broke down and bought this from Charkbait a couple of months ago for $149 and used if for 3 days at BOLA. I normally use a Torium 30 which go for about the same $. I yo-yo'd and trolled and caught yellowtail in the 20# range and liked it better than the Torium. Charkbait has reported that Penn will no longer make this reel as it was not a good seller for them, especially on the east coast. What else have your heard about this reel?
Don Alley
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-30-2008 at 08:10 AM

Wow, sorry to hear Penn won't make these. I bought one for a yellowtail rod I built for a friend here in Loreto and he really likes it.
oldjack
Nomad

Mood: retired

[*] posted on 1-30-2008 at 01:49 PM

where would be a good place to buy one of these reels while still available.. or will I need to find a used one?? Live in ID. so would have to get online or have shipped by seller.
cbuzzetti
Nomad

Mood: Lookin for a vacation

[*] posted on 1-30-2008 at 02:07 PM

I have one of these as well and I think it is a great reel. You cannot build one for the same price.
I have a 113 narrow with Tiburon kit but the Baja Special is far better. These are a great bargain, easy to work on and very reliable.
Sorry to see they will be discontinued. I need to buy another one for future use.

BajaBuz

BajaBuzz
Santiago
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-30-2008 at 02:25 PM

Doesn't the Newell, Accurate and the Tiburon conversions still keep the bushings?
Here the blurb from Charkbait's website (http://www.charkbait.com/cs/csrp2.htm):
"This reel was introduced with a lot of hoopla at about $249 if I recall. In terms of component upgrade, the new 113HN offers quite a bit. Componentry in enhanced with a stainless steel main gear and heat treated pinion, a disengaging pinion gear for improved freespool, aircraft grade sealed stainless steel ball bearings, over sized soft-grip handle and eccentric lever... There's a lot to like. The drags are enhanced as well, with lots of surface area and well proven drag materials employed. Fact is, the new Baja Special will turn a good 20 pounds of drag. That's so much more than anyone will ever fish, it's a lot of drag and is more appropriate for 50-60# line test reels! So, you've got some superior casting and brakes with the new reel from Penn. That's not too bad, fact is it's darn good! "

For what it's worth.
msteve1014
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-30-2008 at 05:11 PM

i think that most of the insides of the new model are different than any of the other 113's. the drags are much better than the old ones. they should still be easy to find at shops in so. cal. or on the net.
Don Alley
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-30-2008 at 06:22 PM

Maybe Penn would have done better with this reel with better marketing, starting with a new name and number, not "113."

Perhaps this reel has been confused with the old 113 "4/0" reels, and the modified "yellowtail special" 4/0s. This newer "Baja Special" was a completely redesigned reel, with different gears, different freespool, different drags. All improvements over the old designs.

Early Baja Special releases did have problems with drags, needing an upgrade, and a plastic star drag that could break. Still, a good reel for the money.

Charkbait has them in stock at a bargain price, and parts should still be available.
msteve1014
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-30-2008 at 07:07 PM

your right Don, when they were $250 there were a lot of reels to think about. For $150, they are a great reel
GC
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-1-2008 at 11:17 AM
Baja Special

Couldn't resist the temptation to buy the reel after your discussion, but the price now is $189.99. Oh well, it beats $249.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.