Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Seal in Rio Mulege?
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 2-9-2008 at 12:40 PM
Seal in Rio Mulege?

Did I hear a seal early this morn? Most certain a seal was sounding off in the Rio. Anybody else along the Rio hear a seal?:tumble::)
toneart
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Skeptical

[*] posted on 2-9-2008 at 12:45 PM

Last year there was one all the way up the rio near the bridge. He didn´t look distressed. He was most likely after easy comidas.

Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 2-9-2008 at 12:51 PM

toneart, Thanks. There are a lot of small fish in the Rio.:D
vandenberg
Elite Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 2-9-2008 at 01:17 PM

Always thought that those kind of animals were too smart to let themselves get caught in such confined quarters. However, some years ago, a large pod :?: of dolphins entered the harbor at Escondido and frolicked around inside for hours, seemingly having a great time. The entrance to that harbor is a narrow canal and also not very deep.

I think my photographic memory ran out of film

Air Evacuation go to
http://www.loretobarbara@skymed.com
Osprey
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-9-2008 at 02:39 PM

I think the only kinds of seals in the Sea of Cortez in large numbers are elephant seals (the really big guys) and Harbor seals (the cute little guys). Harbor seals don't bark so if you heard the animal barking it was probably a Sea Lion like the ones that wake me up sometimes on our beach way down south here near the cape. I'm just trying real hard to think "sea lion" every time I hear "seal" about those big animals from fishermen in my area.
mulegemichael
Super Nomad

Mood: up on step

[*] posted on 2-13-2008 at 08:27 AM

I have my coffee on our front porch right on the rio every morning and have never heard a seal bark here. I did hear some at punta prieta while making bait a few mornings ago, however, so they're close. It's not unusual for seals to roam way upstream in rivers up north. They go where the fish go
Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-13-2008 at 09:26 AM

Herschel Alert! Mulége River overwhelmed by sea lions!
http://www.mcclatchydc.com/staff/les_blumenthal/story/18674....
Just having some fun:lol:
There is a colony of sea lions on the Santa Inez Islands.
Lauriboats
Senior Nomad

Mood: Loving life in Baja

[*] posted on 2-13-2008 at 10:26 AM

When we came home from dinner a couple of months ago, I could hear something breathing loudly in front of our house. It was pitch black outside so I grabbed a flash light to check it out. When the seal jumped off of the rocks into the water, he scared me half to death. We are located at the mouth of the bay near Mulege. :o

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.