Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Number of Baja travelers going to Mainland Mexico
Bajafun777
Super Nomad

Mood: Enjoying Life with Wife In Mexico, Easy on The Easy

[*] posted on 2-29-2008 at 11:52 PM
Number of Baja travelers going to Mainland Mexico

Drove down to Los Mochis and Maztalan on the toll road two weeks ago. Entered through Nogales, it took me about 5 hours to get there from Brawley, which is down by the California/Mexican border (Mexicali). Left at 6pm on a Friday as work day for my wife. We left around 8am on Saturday from Nogales and used the map of the toll road, which we got last year by going to a site called ontheroad.com which is just great. If you want a stress free no arguing with the navagator get the map and avoid getting lost going through the big towns which the toll road does. My wife keeps updating it as we travel down each year to add the new Premexs, hotels, places to eat, things of interest etc. It was a good drive all the way down and traveled about 70mph most of the way except when toll road entered any townships.

Hard to miss seeing any federal police in their black and double stripes from the front hood over the top and down their car trucks. Most of the areas are flat driving through Sonora and in Sinalo a lot of greenry and you need to be watching but don't get me wrong about the speed as the limit was 110 kilometers most of the time. My truck uses desiel so sweet savings all the way down and back.

Made it to Los Mochis by 5:30 pm. Stayed at the new Best Western Hotel by the downtown square where the big church and resturants were. The hotel is very modern and cost me $100 dollars a night but free computer use, pool, jacuzzi,resturant inside, great location to everything, big beds but my wife said too hard and large bathrooms. Got a room over looking the town square and church and they had bands playing and food carts with everyone having a good time. People and cops in town of Los Mochis no problem and good attitude towards tourists. Went to the beach and port area which was only about 20 minutes from Los Mochis and roads were good. Topobama is a place tourist go but really aged with time and living conditions not too good so night visiting would really be out of the question. The other beach stop just up the road going back into Los Mochis had a number of resturants and good places to eat and no problems even cops driving through to keep things safe with smiles and no problems. Stayed in Los Mochis for two days and then off to Maztalan. My wife has a cousin that lives in Los Mochis and we were going down to bring her back to get her outdated passport renewed and new California I.D.

Drove to Maztalan from Los Mochis and it took us 4 hours driving 70-75 miles per hour. Now after your last toll before you get to Maztalan (cost total to here from Nogales of about $74 dollars) need to be very watchful of federal police as they are trolling for tickets on this last 15 to 20 miles before getting into Maztalan so drop down to 65 and no worry. Stayed at Pueblo Bonito a timeshare I use and met a number of people that usually go into Baja,however, because of recent problems choose Mainland. Now a few drove but most arrived in an airplane. Buses going around the city cost 6 pesos or if you want aircondition, which you do not need in February, you pay 8 pesos. You pay this no matter where you get on or off at. So, if you are at the end of the line going back into town what a deal. The taxi cost about $30 and will deal down to $20 but cry like you just got a free ride as does the golf carts call pullmonias (I know I did not spell this word right in spanish).

Building is still going great guns down there. I found a the little fishing village which had a new trailer park running about $650 to $800 per month depending where you park on dirt next to the beach with security. I also found at this fishing villege that you can buy lobster for $10 for three which were not small. Best time to get them though for more choices is 6am when boats have come back in, however, on the day I went one boat came in about 10 am and that is how I saw the lobster and got the price quoted. One of the workers from the hotel was there and since we had talked several times at the hotel he gave me the skinny and told me of a great resturant just up the street going back by the side of the trailer park, It was with great views and good food but best of all----ready----yea cold cold beer, is life sweet or what.

The drive back to Los Mochis had no problems and still took me 4 hours. Yes, the first 10 miles going back out to first toll the federal police were trolling, so I drove 65 as I learn fast in Mexico what is going on. Picked up wife's cousin and she was actually ready believe it or not. She did not like leaving her house but it is in a good old neighborhood about four block away from the main drag that goes by a hotel called El Dorado. I know a lot of hunters use this hotel or use to when I went hunting in Los Mochis 20 years ago. Bach then it only cost $100 dollars to get your weapon into Mexico with hunting license attached and $30 dollars for the state hunting guide you had to have with you along with buying your shotgun ammo at the state store, which was very expensive back then. I had a buddy tell me that you can expect to pay $500 or more now to get the shotgun and license to hunt in Mexico. The hotel still looked ok but aged and looked full, even the bar/resturant was full. We made it to Hermosillo by 7pm. I had to drive in the dark for about 45 minutes and had no problem but did not like getting caught in the night driving thing as I avoid driving at night like drinking hot beer. Stayed at the San Sebastain hotel and it cost about $65 dollars but the beds were big as the the rooms and bathroom along with the beds being softer according to my wife. I can sleep on the floor and be ok but she wants comfort-----Comfort----ok I got it she likes the beds to let her get rested. From Hermosillo we made it to Nogales in a little over 4 hours and I filled up with desiel before crossing over. I got sent to Secondary as I knew would happen when I gave my wife's cousin's expired passport from 1996 to the customs officer. Did the talk, let the search happen, and in about 35 minutes I was on my way. I was joking with the three customs agents after they figured out I also have a job of trust and away we went. I was back in Brawley by 5 hours from the point of leaving Nogales.

I could have made better time going but the dang freeways going through Tuscon on 10 is a mess with all of the construction and 35 mile an hour nonesense to 50 miles and hour until you get about 20 miles out of Tuscon:no:. Now, Arizona highway patrol officers are really hungry for the ticket book use so you better follow the speed limit without any nonesense of just a tad over for it will not fly and fines are double, repeat doubled, in construction areas. This nonesense of construction has been going on for 3 years that I have personally experienced and if they would finish one project before starting another one they could have at least finish two of these. The trip was very good but hard driving to do the time things like I did. We only used the bathrooms at the toll booths as they are clean or the new Premexs that are also very clean. My wife, mind you, insists on clean restrooms even more than her desire for a good bed and I mean clean.

Some of the people I met that did Baja for years said they were finding the mainland by the beach areas calm and cheaper than Baja. They also felt that the services for those that were older were better for them in these areas. Los Mochis is getting more retired Americans and has more trailer parks and they just built a big Social Security Free Hospital there. This hospital looks like it can handle any health care problem. I also found out when talking with the retirees at the local community center which the locals called a cantina, that many were just being buried in Mexico if they are called to "the better beach in the sky". Now this is something that I can deal with as I plan to just have my ashes taken out to the ocean and dumped. I love the ocean and my wife promises she will do so on the cruise ship she will be on to fulfill my wishes. I did say she likes to be comfortable and he choice to fulfill my wishes definate brings a smile to my face:spingrin:.

If you do go mainland use the toll road, get a map from ontheroad.com, get Mexico Insurance, and stay in the bigger cities for better choices and prices. You will also see a lot of trailers and motorhomes from the States on this toll road. I still like Baja but Mainland is not bad, however, I still think I will be in Baja more and just visit Mainland once a year or so:). Later----Bajafun777

Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 3-1-2008 at 07:41 AM

Bajafun777, Thanks for the information.:)
PabloS
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-1-2008 at 08:35 AM

Great report, thanks!
Humboldt Chris and Robin
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-3-2008 at 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by PabloS
Great report, thanks!

We did our first mainland trip in our Northstar pop up - and it was fun, lots of beautiful tropical places, went as far as Playa Azul. I still love Baja and can't wait to get back. A couple observations we had about the mainland

- camping is more expensive in campgrounds - 20-25 bucks. Virtually all had electricity and most had wi-fi

- There are more Canadians in the mainland than in Baja - Most stay he whole winter. Of course, we loved meeting most of them, but it is definitely more crowded.

- There were a couple army checkpoints that had some real blue ribbon buttcracks. Never met anyone like them in Baja (but the some army checkpoints were wonderful young people, too)

- My new retirement plan is to camp in every Mexican state - but so far, Baja is my all-time favorite and I'm sorry I wasn't there this winter! Viva Baja!!!!!
Iflyfish
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-3-2008 at 08:03 PM

Thanks for the great report Bajafun! Really appreciate the details.

Iflyfish
BornFisher
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-3-2008 at 08:20 PM

Great read. Felt like you were just sitting here, telling me about your trip!!
Gracias, I DO miss the tropical landscapes, the smell of wood fire smoke in the AM, the fresh fruit, and social centers!!
Mango
Senior Nomad

Mood: Bajatastic

[*] posted on 3-4-2008 at 01:03 AM

Nice report.

A nice little side trip/detour you can take next time is Los Alamos. It is about 30 minutes inland from Navajoa which is an hour or two north of Mochis. Neat little town with some great old buildings.
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 3-4-2008 at 11:53 AM

Really consider leaving Mexico 15 in Santa Ana and taking the route through Caborca and crossing at Sonoita if you are heading back to Brawley. The route is quite quick, you save 2-3 tolls, you avoid the Nogales crossing and the route through Tucson..............and it is shorter and more scenic.

It's rare if the Sonoita crossing is 5-15 minutes.

As mentioned the last time I went to Mazatlan, I returned by all-of-Mexico sticker about 5 months late and suffered no penalty BUT BE SURE TO KEEP ALL YOUR PAPERWORK REGARDING THIS STICKER AND THE STICKER.

Bottom line, you dont have to return via K21 and Nogales.

Martyman
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-4-2008 at 12:14 PM

Great report. I have to complain about the slow down/double fine for construction zones though. As someone who works in the street occasionally, it is important that people slow down. Alot of dummies speed up to "get through it".
Enjoy!
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 3-4-2008 at 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajafun777
If you do go mainland use the toll road, get a map from ontheroad.com, get Mexico Insurance, and stay in the bigger cities for better choices and prices. You will also see a lot of trailers and motorhomes from the States on this toll road. I still like Baja but Mainland is not bad, however, I still think I will be in Baja more and just visit Mainland once a year or so:). Later----Bajafun777

We have driven all over the mainland and really enjoy the free roads. We only take the toll roads when we absolutely have to do so---that is seldom. The free roads take one into some very interesting places not seem from the toll roads. Now, if we were towing a big trailer or driving a motorhome, it would be different.

We have founds things to love in all the states, but the inland colonial cities are our favorite.

Enjoyed your report. One thing about traveling the mainland that is so very special is that every area is so different.

Getting the itch to head for Oaxaca and beyond.

Diane

[Edited on 3-4-2008 by jdtrotter]

lingililingili
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-4-2008 at 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mango
Nice report.

A nice little side trip/detour you can take next time is Los Alamos. It is about 30 minutes inland from Navajoa which is an hour or two north of Mochis. Neat little town with some great old buildings.

Mango: Have you been to a little fishing village called Las Bocas also outside of Navojoa? No phones, no hassles. There is beer as well as a plaza for Sunday evenings!

And by the way, Los Alamos has always been a favorite of mine!

•Life is just one damned thing after another

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.