Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: HOG shots
baitcast
Super Nomad

Mood: good

thumbup.gif posted on 3-19-2008 at 06:23 AM
HOG shots

Except for those who live full time down there the rest of us have to go home,but that doesn,t mean we have to stop fishin,with that in mind I thought I would share a couple of pics of a few hogs taken right off my dock until the weather drove me south again.
Rob
Iflyfish
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-19-2008 at 08:52 AM

Those are some great bucketmouths!
Iflyfish
BMG
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-19-2008 at 09:19 AM

And further north...

lingcod_July_2007.jpg - 49kB

I think the world is run by C- students.
TonyC
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-19-2008 at 10:49 AM

I want to ask what lake those largemouth came out of, but I can understand if you don't want to give it up. Nice catch.
baitcast
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-19-2008 at 11:52 AM

Well Tony that was Long lake down stream from Spokane Wa.,the Spokane river fed into it,most people didn,t realized what a great fishing lake it was,which was fine with me:biggrin:

I was 50' from the water,a neat set-up,my dock was maybe the best on the lake,every year during the draw down I would work on the structure around it,rock piles,christmas trees,tires and piles of water logged wood,great fishing poor swimming.

A great mix of fish,state record northern pike 36#,browns and rainbows,both large and smallmouth bass,a few kokeanee,and quess what,some salmon which would get washed down from lake Coeur D Alene during the spring run-off,I,m looking at one right now as I write this:biggrin:
throw in crappie and perch and you have a good time,loved living there but my old bones finally coundn,t take the cold and snow anymore:rolleyes:
Rob
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-19-2008 at 01:43 PM

Nice pictures baitcast, and very well timed.

The bass around here should just be starting to bite now. I'm going to find out this weekend at some of the ponds in the Monterey area. I always look forward to this time of year as it's the first decent fishing after about a 3 month down time.
baitcast
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-19-2008 at 04:25 PM
For Igor

A couple of tips on bass I learned while living there,I had always heard that bass held in deep water in the winter time,not always I found in fact they feed on a regular basis all winter long and heavy at times.

Example,new years day at half time watching the Rose Bowl,we went out a caught 7 or 8 in front of the house in very shallow water 2' or 3' deep all nice fish:biggrin:

Best times were on south facing shore lines on sunny days,up north where it gets cold as hell an is dark alot all the weeds die back and the fish lose much of their cover that is the time you break out our K/M,s 1/4# or rootbeer grubs no one could believe I was getting fish all year long,this applies to smallmouth as well.

Everything slows down,when you think your going slow,slow down some more,with the lack of cover they will stage on anything.

That fish on the top right was caught in Jan:biggrin:
very cold,we caught them in snow storms.

Enough tips for today Rob
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-19-2008 at 04:47 PM

Thanks Rob. I just haven't had that kind of experience in January - February. Once the rains come the ponds turn to coffee and nothing bites.

Anyway, I like to get them on top. Nothing seems to attack a popper like a bass. Drop it with a loud splash, make a single pop, and wait. About 20 seconds later all hell breaks loose. Water spraying in all directions. What a thrill.

I taught Alex to flyfish at this one pond with bluegills. Well, you guessed it. The larger bass would attack the hooked bluegill sometimes. With a 5wt rod you had the sensation of being hooked to a whale. Of course, he was never hooked. Eventually he'd let go and everything would settle back to normal. After a few minutes we were back to talking in normal tones.
baitcast
Super Nomad

thumbup.gif posted on 3-19-2008 at 05:13 PM
Poppers

Love poppers for anything,if you haven,t tryed poppers for corvina you haven,t lived:lol: spooks and pop-R,s

Coffee stained water,your right wont work,Long lake was a very clear lake in the winter,funny thing most people put their rods away in the winter except the icefishermen,it was only when I took them out in the very late fall,winter and early spring did they realize what fishin they had,and that was when the trout made their move,some nice browns in there also,it was a great lake!!!!!!!! some 15" 16" silvers were on the menu also.
Rob
Al G
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Wondering what is next???

[*] posted on 3-19-2008 at 05:37 PM

Great thread...tomorrow the winds here will be quite (I hope) here in Todos Santos and I am hungery...need some kick back time, but might pull out the crocks...hope I don't have to stop at Ana San's for YT at 960 mn a kilo...:lol:

Albert G
Remember, if you haven\'t got a smile on your face and laughter in your heart, then you are just a sour old fart!....

The most precious thing we have is life, yet it has absolutely no trade-in value.
Martyman
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-20-2008 at 10:43 AM

When fishing poppers in baja...what is the technique? Usually I pop it and let it sit for maybe 1 second. Should I leave it longer like in the above post from skipjack joe (20 seconds). I've only had a few bites on poppers but they sure are exciting when they happen.
baitcast
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-20-2008 at 12:09 PM
For Marty

Joe was fishin for largemouth with a fly outfit I believe with that in mind these are small poppers so the long pauses will work just fine.

But when fishin Baja from the beach use larger poppers such as a Larger Pop R,s,Skitter-Pop,my favorites in choppy conditions,pop,pop pop pause wham:o short pause.

When the water is flat such as early morning late evening then a Zara Spook works great "walking the dog" what makes these fun things to use is the visual experience it gives,be ready to miss a bunch till you get the hang of it,you will be early on the hook-set because of what you see and hear,wait till you feel the fish,its easy to swing away when the explosion takes place:biggrin:

Everything down there will hit a popper or spook!! even a trigger:lol:
Rob
baitcast
Super Nomad

puzzled.gif posted on 3-20-2008 at 01:06 PM

A Mad Mouse??
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-20-2008 at 01:17 PM

Marty, I've used Pilipoppers in baja with some success. From a boat you just cast up tight against a rocky shoreline and just reel in as fast as you can crank it in. It creates a pocket of bubbles around it and large leopard grouper show up out of nowhere trying to smash it. Stop the retrieve and they lose interest. Look for good areas though: rocky points jutting out, areas where pelicans are sitting nearby, small baitfish in water always has leopard groupers nearby.

Guys, I was thinking last night how every good gamefish has some quality about it that is the very best thing about it. For me the top water strike of a largemouth bass is what it's all about. The water erupts in a boil and you set the hook. The following fight is secondary and nothing to get excited about. It's the topwater strikes that's the essence of bass fishing for me.

The best thing about troutfishing for me is the gentle take of a dry fly after your 'perfect' drift. You can also get them with nymphs or swinging the fly on the end of the line imitating a caddis. There are so many ways to catch trout (e.g. streamers), but for me the very best is stalking an individual with a dry and seeing that nose come out to take the imitation. That single moment is the apex of the sport. I never tire of it.
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-20-2008 at 01:36 PM

Hope I live long enough to experience fishing for muskies.
baitcast
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-20-2008 at 01:54 PM

What a stupid looking thing a mad mouse is:lol:

Which reminds me of the time my wife and were sitting under the trees watching the world and boats go by when I saw a mama duck and four little babies come swimming by the dock,I pointed them out to mama and she says " O aren,t they the cutest things you ever saw" :o a loud scream the water explodes and then there were three.

What a great idea:light: I tried to make one after that feathers and what not but alas none ever worked:lol:
Rob
Iflyfish
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-20-2008 at 02:48 PM

I fished the Coeur d'Alene Chain Lakes out of Spokane Washington one summer. Surfaced fished with poppers for bucketmouths...at night....pop...pop....pop....CABANG! and off it would go. What a blast! Like a submarine emergency surfacing and blowing air at same time.
Also fished for Steelhead in the Little White Salmon in southern Washington State at night, rod tipped with glow lights, slooooowly trolling wiggle warts. Slow thumping of the green glow stick taped to the rod tip…thump…thump….thump, till they go down like they were anchored and then the fish leaps in the air and most of the time throws the plug! Then if you are able to hook them you must find them with your flashlight in order to land and release them. In the early morning light one can see as the water passes by the snout of the steelhead a blue/green glow hallo the color that you see in Baja when the plankton in a red tide explodes in luminescence as it hits the sides of bait fish fleeing your exploding footsteps as you walk the sand beaches of Baja. Magical.
I love reading these posts!
Iflyfish
Martyman
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-20-2008 at 03:34 PM

Thanks for the popper tips. I also fish for pike up near Soo Saint Marie in Ontario. I'll try sneaking up on em next year rather then trolling weedless lures (which does work sometimes)
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-20-2008 at 07:01 PM
Fishing at night

... in the baja surf is really good. As long as the tide is right. The fish seem to feed in shallower water and are more agressive (sp?) than in daylight. The experienced anglers wear those miner's lights over their heads to help with baiting and hook removal. All you have to do is step ankle deep into the surf and heave a 20 foot cast and you're in business. There's a sense of mystery about it. That's the draw.
baitcast
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-20-2008 at 07:21 PM

Poppers at night in Baja,aah yes,fishin on a full moon on a high tide I had some of the best,with poppers and spooks,the water is generally flat and you can hear a pin drop,you can,t see the take much but you can sure hear it:biggrin:

The larger models will come in much closer at night,hooked some real nasties at night in the Gonzaga and BOLA area,s,warm water,full moon and sand between your toes,doesn,t get much better than that.
Rob
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.