Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: short bola report
4baja
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-22-2008 at 08:52 AM
short bola report

left thursday mourning and got to the border around 7am with no problems. got the usual stuff and crossed with a cigar in hand and a 1/4 tank of gas looking forward to cheaper gas in mex. filled up and south we went in my friends saburben with a caved in drivers side that blended in well down there. the first thing we noticed was a lack of tourist(were are all the people and cars loaded to the roof) we felt as if we were the only people heading south. we did see a few vehicles with surfboards on top heading north but the roads were empty and even very few trucks heading either way. the other thing we noticed was the baja was as green as ive ever seen it and everything was in bloom(wow) snapped a few shots after stopping for tacos and on the road again. stopped in el rasario for a few beers for the road and talked to a few people about the lack of tourism and was told bacause of the crimes up north nobody was comeing down, very sad indeed. got to catavina and picked up some food and beers and was suprised not to see the local haired out (inventer) gringo that allways hits us up for a peso. pulled into BOLA around 3:30pm with 85 degree temps and glass on the water and again were are all the tourist? hit the lacal taco stand and downed a few more beers before heading down to hour places. opened up the garage, pulled out the quads and turned on the power supply and the water sysytem and we were ready to party. day two, joe went and paid off andy for the panga that he bought last trip and towed over to his place, we tore off the old center consol and removed a bunch of junk to get it ready for the fiberglass guy in town. the boat will be getting a newer trailler and a 50 hourse 4stroke in the future and allso new paint, dos amigos is and will be the name of the boat. there was alot of friends in canmp and we visisted the rest of the day. day 3, started out as a clear sunny day so we decided to fish lagringa for halibut and get some c-ckels. ou buddy bedman decided to join us so we packed up some food and beers and headed for the point. the road is pretty washboarded but we made it out in record time(allthou bedman blew are doors off) and we fished the first point pretty hard with crocs and scampis, our buddy joe tried flyfishing and bedman tossed out some squid and fell asleep in his car. we eneded up with no fish so we filled the small ice chest with c-ckels and headed back to camp to prepare them for the feast that night. on the way back i notices clouds building on the mountains to the west of us and looked like maybe a west wind was building so that night we batten down the hatches just in case. we put down a few beers and told some lies before we all hit the sack and got ready for the next day. the wind came in heavy that night with gust too 70 mph and the trailles were rocking all night, it sounded like a freight train comeing down the mountain and all i coud here was crap blowing all around camp and a few things hitting the trailler. i woke up about every two hours and went outside to check things out, the dust was everywere. day 4, very windy outsisde with sprinkles and dust abloweing everware, the place across from me lost all the tyvec and carpeting he had on the roof and lost his fence. every boat that had a tarp on it when we pulled in was now in shreds and boats filled with dirt. i went down to check on my kayak and it had blown over the jetty from the beach and the hatches blew off. if the tide had come up it would have been goodbuy yak my old friend. it was windy all day and me and bedman decided to go check on marry anns place and to look at the launch ramp. her place looked ok but her launch ramp need some concreat repair work before it could be used again, we notices a heavy red tide in the area thet my frient trever reported the day before. on our return to camp we noticed that one of the bi garage doors on docs garage s was ripped of by the wind and all his stuff inside was exposed to thew weather, we new he was comeing in that day so we left it too him. day 5, woke up to a glassy day and and invited us to go fishing on his boat do amigos 2, the boys took him up on it and i stayed to do some electrical work and add a new inverter to the grid. they came back around 1 with a bunch of bottem fish but no yellows or grouper but they were stocked just to get out. we got the boat in and andy cleaned the fish while all of us had a few beers and smokes. trever had never been down there before and he was blown away on the place and took lots of pictures out by the islands, looks like hell be comeing back down soon. we started cleaning up that evening and got ready for the long trip home. day 6, closed up everything and hit the road around 10am, filled the tank and picked up a 6pack and said adios to the bay till at least may. we drove all the way to ensanada and got a room at the bahia, got our room key and cleaned up to go out to dinner. we walked around ensanada looking for a place to eat and again" were are all the tourist?" every place we went was empty with just a few gringos walking around. we ended up eating at this small taco restaraunt and haveing some beers and the bar tender told us its been very slow down there and buisneses are hurting. he blamed it on the reports of crime and the economy in the states. as we walked back to our hotel rooms we felt like we were the only gringos in town. we went through tecate the next day and the wait was 15 minutes(wow) and was the quickest crossing i have every had. flew home with no traffic and got home around 5pm just intime to plan the next trip.

bola march 2008 003.jpg - 33kB
4baja
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-22-2008 at 08:54 AM

new dodge ram

bola march 2008 006.jpg - 39kB
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 3-22-2008 at 09:41 AM

Thanks for the report. Love the new Dodge Ram, should sell a lot.
When I was driving up hwy1 last Sunday I noticed very little traffic all the way to San Quintin. Now is the time to go south.
Santiago
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-22-2008 at 10:05 AM

Hey Steve: did you find the 2 beers??
Ken Bondy
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Mellow

[*] posted on 3-22-2008 at 10:10 AM

Loved your report 4baja!! I got to live vicariously through you for a while :D
++Ken++
RockhouseTom
Junior Nomad

Mood: Really Ready to Go!

[*] posted on 3-23-2008 at 08:56 AM

Thanks for the report Steveo, It is good to see it in written form too. I don't know about the Dodge, the last one in camp I had to deal with was David A.'s and it took a Ford to pull him out! :biggrin:

Santiago:
No doubt He found the beers you left for him. You can count on Steve to allways find the Beers! :lol:

\"FREEDOM\" William Wallace
4baja
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-23-2008 at 11:51 AM

sorry grover, typed it fast and had to go.
thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

Mood: muy amable

[*] posted on 3-23-2008 at 02:57 PM

Yep, we saw pretty much the same in mid-Feb.
although we managed to fit our week in LABay between big windstorms, very mellow indeed.
No gringos,
No turistas
No traffic
Sort of spooky, wasn't it??
Steve&Debby
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-23-2008 at 09:35 PM

First, did you find the ram skull in BOLA? Sounds like a good time to go to Baja. No crowds,although it sucks for the local buiseness.
David A.
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-24-2008 at 04:23 AM

Tom,
I have to chime in on this one. The Dodge pulled the Ford out of the mud in Las Animas before the tide swollowed up his new truck. Nothing like two trips to Las Animas and back in one day.:lol:
RockhouseTom
Junior Nomad

Mood: Really Ready to Go!

[*] posted on 3-24-2008 at 05:46 AM

Just give me enough time David,
You won't have to go all the way to Las Animas to have to pull me out.
The Quick Sands of Gecko can swallow you up with out warning!:o

\"FREEDOM\" William Wallace
4baja
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-24-2008 at 06:37 AM

steve, the skull is david A and yes i believe he found it there. they have been seen along the beaches there. no jim i didnt find the beers but i did find plenty at the store.
David A.
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-24-2008 at 11:18 AM

Stevo,
Looks like you have post 1000 now. :o:o:o
Debra
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-24-2008 at 12:11 PM

Steve, did you notice if my cabin is still buired?

Mean people suck!
4baja
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-24-2008 at 02:21 PM

yes debra, very much so. better bring a big shovel.
Debra
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-24-2008 at 10:41 PM

DRAT! Do you have one around that I can borrow? I was promised it would be dug out. UGH!

Mean people suck!
4baja
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-25-2008 at 06:46 AM

theres plenty of guys with shovels around, just ask. terrence is there and allso jay. bedman will be there another week and thomas is allso there this week. mike who is your neighbor is planning on building a retaining wall out front to protect his place from the sand. if i were you i would go in on it with him or you are going to have a bigger problem in the future. streach that waal all the way from his place to out front of yours as a sand diverter and this will keep most of the sand out.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.