Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Marlin Biting in Loreto
bill erhardt
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-28-2008 at 12:57 PM
Marlin Biting in Loreto

Not only are dorado on the chew east of town toward the canyon for anyone willing to run that far out and make an appropriate feathery presentation, but the marlin that appeared in force last week east of Punta Lobos are now biting. At least, one did this morning. I launched this morning at 5:30 and headed out to where the marlin were concentrated last week before the blow from the north began on Friday. The forecast was for calming conditions today with little or no wind. What I found, however, was a brisk 10 knots from the north with white caps and 3' - 4' seas. I started trolling east at daybreak and before 7:00 was hooked up. Thirty minutes later, after a photo op, I released my first marlin of the year. I would not have bothered with a photo for fear of salt spray on my new camera, but he was the first marlin of the year and as such deserved to be memorialized. I was unable to remove the hook with my de-hooker, so brought his head in the "tuna door" for the extraction. After a short resuscitation he was on his way none the worse for wear. After the release I continued to troll east for a short time until the seas built to the point that when in a trough the horizon was sometimes, but not always, obscured by the surrounding waves. I turned and trolled back toward Punta Lobos and was back at the marina by 11:00.
I would estimate the strapping striper at 110 pounds.

4-28-08marlin5 (Large).jpg - 37kB
bill erhardt
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-28-2008 at 01:02 PM

The conditions were much different today than last Thursday when the many tailing marlin in placid, calm water showed no interest in trolled feathers. For the third day in a row I saw no other boats in the area mining the pelagic gold. With the conditions today, however, discretion was probably the better part of valor.

4-28-08sea (Large) (Medium).jpg - 45kB
BMG
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-28-2008 at 01:14 PM

Went out of La Paz yesterday. Saw quite a few tailing and leaping marlin but couldn't entice any of them to bite. Saw lots and lots of squid in the water so not hard for the predators to get fat bellies with little effort.

I think the world is run by C- students.
Pescador
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-28-2008 at 01:34 PM

Shoot Bill, that Marlin was headed north to my hooks but you waylaid him. Hope a couple get through but the water is really slow to warm up and way more wind than normal.
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 4-28-2008 at 01:45 PM

Glad the Marlin are back.:) They're sorta like tourists, seasonal critters. :) They come and go. :) How 'bout the local guys, snapper, grouper etc.?:?:
bill erhardt
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-28-2008 at 02:01 PM

Jim...... I sent him on up your way. That little hole in his jaw will be all healed up by the time he gets there. The water temp where the marlin are now is only about 71, but it does not seem to be slowing them down.
Cypress..... I don't know about other resident bottom fish, but this has been a good year for cabria.
Don Alley
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-28-2008 at 02:55 PM

Congrats on the marlin, Bill, and thanks for the report.

I guess I have a decision to make for the tourney Saturday...yellowtail or dorado? Probably a long trip for either, as Catalina remains the only consistent yellowtail spot.
fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 4-28-2008 at 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bill erhardt
Not only are dorado on the chew east of town toward the canyon for anyone willing to run that far out and make an appropriate feathery presentation, but the marlin that appeared in force last week east of Punta Lobos are now biting. At least, one did this morning. I launched this morning at 5:30 and headed out to where the marlin were concentrated last week before the blow from the north began on Friday. The forecast was for calming conditions today with little or no wind. What I found, however, was a brisk 10 knots from the north with white caps and 3' - 4' seas. I started trolling east at daybreak and before 7:00 was hooked up. Thirty minutes later, after a photo op, I released my first marlin of the year. I would not have bothered with a photo for fear of salt spray on my new camera, but he was the first marlin of the year and as such deserved to be memorialized. I was unable to remove the hook with my de-hooker, so brought his head in the "tuna door" for the extraction. After a short resuscitation he was on his way none the worse for wear. After the release I continued to troll east for a short time until the seas built to the point that when in a trough the horizon was sometimes, but not always, obscured by the surrounding waves. I turned and trolled back toward Punta Lobos and was back at the marina by 11:00.
I would estimate the strapping striper at 110 pounds.

Bill, you are my hero! Thanks for the report. My fishlust level is now at the clinically insane level.
Are you hiring any deck hands? Will work for fish! (and help with gas:coolup: )

[Edited on 4-28-2008 by fishbuck]

"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." J. A. Shedd.

A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it. – Albert Einstein

"Life's a Beach... and then you Fly!" Fishbuck

bill erhardt
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-28-2008 at 03:46 PM

Don..... Thanks. Me, too. I think that the odds are probably with a big Catalana yellowtail, but it is time for the big bulls to start showing up outside.
Fishbuck..... No, thanks. If I start taking along deckhands I'll have to rename my boat.
fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 4-28-2008 at 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bill erhardt
Don..... Thanks. Me, too. I think that the odds are probably with a big Catalana yellowtail, but it is time for the big bulls to start showing up outside.
Fishbuck..... No, thanks. If I start taking along deckhands I'll have to rename my boat.

Ha ha, ya good point!:yes:

"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." J. A. Shedd.

A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it. – Albert Einstein

"Life's a Beach... and then you Fly!" Fishbuck

BajaBruno
Super Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 4-29-2008 at 08:08 PM

I hate to commit the sin of anthropomorphism, but I always wonder what's going on behind those golf-ball-sized eyes as they stare at you when the hook is being removed. "Why is that sea lion wearing a hat and what's he doing to me?!!!" :biggrin:

Thanks for the photo and report, Bill.

Christopher Bruno, Elk Grove, CA.
Alan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-29-2008 at 11:14 PM

You are the man! Darn Bill, I swear you could find marlin and wahoo in the Bering Sea!:lol:

In Memory of E-57

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.