Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  ..  8
Author: Subject: netting cabrilla in Loreto
Don Alley
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-6-2008 at 03:59 PM
netting cabrilla in Loreto

It's the time of year when the cabrilla (leopard grouper) move in close to the island shores. Nets around most of the Loreto Marine Park islands are prohibited April through August. Yeah, right. This morning, Isla Carmen...

The whole cove was cut off, with the other end of the net anchored against the cliffs. They may have had a hooka diver on one of the other boats to herd all the fish into the net.

Last time out there, for the Governor's Cup Tourney on Saturday, we saw them set a net close in at Carmen, around Punta Lobos, in the afternoon. It's business as usual.
tehag
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-6-2008 at 04:13 PM
Netters

Print the shot with the boat name readable on it and give it to the Guarda Parque. I don't know that boat, do you? Doņa Nicole?
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 5-6-2008 at 04:24 PM

Who would imagine.:lol:They also set the nets and run 'em using wet suits, snorkles, hookah rigs, and anything else available. :) Somebody will be wondering what happened to the grouper fishery.:(
Don Alley
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-6-2008 at 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by tehag
Print the shot with the boat name readable on it and give it to the Guarda Parque. I don't know that boat, do you? Doņa Nicole?

I don't know the boat, but I know the one I saw Saturday, but no pics. I sent pics to someone who will forward them to the park and we'll see what happens.

Oh, the boat I saw Saturday? They were loading up supplies at the ramp this afternoon. I believe they have a fish camp on the island.

[Edited on 5-6-2008 by Don Alley]
Sallysouth
Super Nomad

Mood: missing Baja...

[*] posted on 5-6-2008 at 05:56 PM

Geez I hate this.I posted some time ago about the same thing happening at Marquer Bay on Carmen.It was aweful to see what they were doing, pulling up Cabrilla and many other species, huge nets surrounding the bay from one point to the other.I know these guys need to make a living but during spawning season, not right!Those guys look very familiar, and the boat....::mad::mad::mad:

Happiness is just a Baja memory away...
vgabndo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Checking-off my bucket list.

[*] posted on 5-6-2008 at 10:12 PM
San Nicolas' at the end of March

I didn't think that long lining was legal.

IMG_0781.JPG - 48kB

Undoubtedly, there are people who cannot afford to give the anchor of sanity even the slightest tug. Sam Harris

"The situation is far too dire for pessimism."
Bill Kauth

Carl Sagan said, "We are a way for the cosmos to know itself."

PEACE, LOVE AND FISH TACOS
Mexpedition

[*] posted on 5-6-2008 at 10:30 PM

Makes me sick. Just like the tuna industry. And, being a West Coast sportsman, it reminds me of what has happened to the Salmon fish stock, and, the Steelhead. I still have memories of the Steehead runs on the Mad and Trinity Rivers. The question is, will the people who depend on fishing for a living unite with reasonable environmentalists to adopt a solution before the fisheries crash, as with the cod in New England? I try to be an optimist, but, I am usually dissapointed. (Please insert appropriate face here).
Capt. George
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-7-2008 at 04:35 AM

Cod Fish have made a big comeback in New England. Finally some good science was used....not the typical enviro mumbo-jumbo..

Striped bass stocks back to astounding numbers..

Mexico protect their fishery, not in our lifetime brother!

Notice how they covered the name of the boat in fear of getting caught, wadda joke!!

\"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men\" Plato
Pescador
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-7-2008 at 08:33 AM

Now they are surrounding whatever is up and feeding near the shore and then as soon as they circle the net, divers go over the side and they slowly move the net up and over the rocks so that nothing is missed. We are watching pangas so overloaded with cabrilla and yellowtail coming in to the fish sellers in Santa Rosalia, San Lucas Cove, and San Bruno. Since they closed down the east cape, they just seem to be moving farther north. I will watch to see if there is any response from the Park at all.
Don Alley
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-7-2008 at 10:59 AM

Someone requested the exact location.

It was a small cove, called "Playa Blanca" by at least one local captain. It lies between Punta Tintorerra and Punta Lobos on the north end of Isla Carmen. It's a popular anchorage (a sailboat was anchored behind the nets). We've stopped there before; it's a good spot where Paula can snorkel and I can fish. It's been fair fishing in the past for small fish including roosters, green jacks, yellowtail snapper, sierra, barred pargo and of course leopard grouper.
Cypress
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-7-2008 at 11:14 AM

My sympathy for the folks that fish the Sea of Cortez, both commercial and recreational.:( Maybe the pelagic species will be able to survive, but the local reef fish are in trouble.
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-7-2008 at 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Capt. George
Cod Fish have made a big comeback in New England. Finally some good science was used....not the typical enviro mumbo-jumbo..

Striped bass stocks back to astounding numbers..

Mexico protect their fishery, not in our lifetime brother!

Notice how they covered the name of the boat in fear of getting caught, wadda joke!!

Mexico will do something after their stocks drop to the level they fell in New England: total demise.

I knew the stripers had come back but it was really great to read this about the cod comeback. Maybe the grand banks will return to it's former glory.

Don't agree with your view about environmentalists, though. Fishermen and environmentalists should work side by side as they have a common goal. Most fishery biologists, the ones with the 'good science', are also environmentalists. I think it's the political leanings that keeps the two sides apart. Very narrowminded and self-destructive.

On the other hand a lot of our coastline is being closed off to fishing by environmentalists who claim that it's the only way to bring back the resources. :fire::fire::fire: That really bothers fishermen as the 'good science' shows it can be accomplised with sound fishery management practices.

And then there are the PETA people..... Last I heard, they now want to prohibit horseracing because of that racehorse that collapsed at the track a couple of days ago.
Roberto
Banned

[*] posted on 5-7-2008 at 07:51 PM

All that's missing are explosives. This makes me sick. But the reality was explained to me a long time ago by Lucy:

"They fish for beer". And now, "They fish for Meth". Folks, there IS NO planning for the future, virtually anywhere. THIS is the reality of the magnificent Sea of Cortez -- soon to be known as the Dead Sea. What will happen to those same fishermen at that point, God only knows, and I don't think even He will be able to help.

[Edited on 5-8-2008 by Roberto]
Pescador
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-7-2008 at 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Roberto
All that's missing are explosives. This makes me sick. But the reality was explained to me a long time ago by Lucy:

"They fish for beer". And now, "They fish for Meth". Folks, there IS NO planning for the future, virtually anywhere. THIS is the reality of the magnificent Sea of Cortez -- soon to be known as the Dead Sea. What will happen to those same fishermen at that point, God only knows, and I don't think even He will be able to help.

I agree to a point, but I can also see the other side of the coin and these guys are doing what they know how to do and will not quit until forced to do so. Now we need to be a little realistic here. They are only able to do this during one short time of the year when the baitfish are literally driven close to shore and this usually occurs only in the spring. It has been going on for at least the last 15 years and they have not totally decimated the stocks yet. Even though the numbers are scary, it is still small potatoes compared to the large seine nets set out by trawlers. I watched these guys for the last month or so and many times they end up with one or two fish for the days work. I also have seen it when they needed extra pangas to haul in all the fish. They have brought so many in to the Santa Rosalia area that the price is almost half of what it was a little over a month ago. The numbers of netters however is increasing since things have shut down on the East Cape so that is having a big effect from Loreto to Santa Rosalia where there is no enforcement.
We could really mess with them by harrasing the feeding yellowtail before they can drop the nets but that scene could get a little ugly I suspect unless there were a lot of boats involved.
Roberto
Banned

[*] posted on 5-7-2008 at 08:27 PM

Sorry, it's not small potatoes.

The inshore grouper fishery is one of the most sensitive. This way of targeting it is just one of many. Constant gill-netting, trapping, etc., all target these species that are NOT pelagic. There are areas of the Cortez where they have been wiped out. It's only a matter of time.

Regarding the people who do this, there are two sides, one being the one you talked about (they do what they know), and there is the one where they take control of their own destiny and manage the resources they depend on. It sounds horrible, but often the barrier to get to the second is laziness, plain and simple, coupled with the desire to fulfill immediate needs (beer, meth). How many times have you seen local families go hungry while the subsistence fisherman is drinking beer with his friends using the money from the day's catch?

There are plenty of locals who understand this and advocate for change that will allow for regeneration of otherwise irreplaceable resources. It's also true that these folks are left with NO help from that same government that is willing to take those same resources for pennies on the dollar compared to what they will get on the global market.

All in all, it's a pretty dismal picture, and it's difficult to understand what the exit path is. For sure, however, the local folks CAN take control of their resources, and not only is it not happening, but they are often right there in the front lines of the war of destruction.

tehag
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-7-2008 at 08:43 PM
nets

Sort of dropped a dime on the netters today and got this answer back:

YA TOME LOS DATOS, EL NOMBRE DE LA PANGA SE VE CLARO, TEN LA SEGURIDAD QUE VAMOS HACER TODO LO POSIBLE PARA QUE ESTOS NO HAGAN MAS DAŅO EN EL AREA NATURAL PROTEGIDA, PARQUE NACIONAL BAHIA DE LORETO.,

ATENTAMENTE.
LUIS MARTIN CASTRO ROMERO
INSPECTOR FEDERAL DE LA PROCURADURIA FEDERAL
DE PROTECCION AL AMBIENTE..(PROFEPA)

Good sentiments anyway, we shall see.
Capt. George
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-8-2008 at 04:09 AM

Unless we, (no matter what you may think your status is), as "visitors", Ban Baja, nothing will be done to protect the fisheries.

Not go to Baja? Not likely, so we just have to suck it up.

The striped bass population came back so strong that we have a good commercial market....starts in July and over by Sept, tonnage filled that fast!

Good sound scientific data and management works...

\"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men\" Plato
Cypress
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-8-2008 at 07:59 AM

Not go to Baja? At the rate things are going in the Sea of Cortez, the great fishing will, might already be, a thing of the past.:no: There are many other things that attract people to Baja, but the fishing was my #1 reason for spending time there.:) My total catch for 4 months wouldn't fill a 45 quart igloo cooler.:D Admittedly, it was during the winter and my fishing was restricted to within a couple miles of shore, but there were days that I didn't even get a bite.:no: I used both lures and bait.:) Have been fishing my entire life both commercial and recreational. On a scale of 1 to 10 the inshore fishing in Baja along the Sea of Cortez ranks about 2.:no:
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-8-2008 at 10:03 AM

Waiting for Skeet, at this point .....
Roberto
Banned

[*] posted on 5-8-2008 at 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Skipjack Joe
Waiting for Skeet, at this point .....

You don't already know what he's going to say?
 Pages:  1    3  ..  8

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.