Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Tuna pens and Salmon farming
TonyC
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-23-2008 at 06:53 PM
Tuna pens and Salmon farming

Can this video about about salmon farming up north, have the same negative impact in Baja with regards to tuna pens? Maybe it's different because they call it tuna ranching. I'm scared for the future of Baja Norte.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=ERrpIKp5-vI&feature=related
Frank
Senior Nomad

Mood: Is it time to leave yet?

[*] posted on 5-23-2008 at 11:39 PM

It takes a lot of food to fatten up tuna. Ive watched them use a snow shovel to feed those fish sardines.

Ive heard the waste from the fish have made the bottom barren. I havent confirmed that one though.
My opinion,

Eventually the sardine population will cycle {naturally or manmade from over fishing} like it has before, and there wont be anything to feed the tuna. The pens will disappear when its no longer profitable.
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 5-24-2008 at 09:30 AM

I was told that there was a huge increase in the sardine fishery to feed all the tuna in those pens...gee...less sardines...less fish here=bummer.

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
Iflyfish
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-24-2008 at 11:54 AM

This really saddened me. I had no idea of the havoc that these pens cause. Sometimes I think that humans are like birds, that we crap in our own nests. And like Shari points to, we are all part of interdependant eco systems that affect eachother.

Iflyfish
bacquito
Super Nomad

Mood: jubilado

[*] posted on 5-24-2008 at 06:31 PM

I recently read that Tuna Boats were trying to capture Blue Fin Tuna to put in the pens because they had just about ran out of tuna to market.
Also I have heard that pollution around the pens is a problem and there is a fear of transmitting disease from the concentrated population.

bacquito
fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 5-24-2008 at 08:30 PM

A tuna is unusual in that it is warm blooded. The only way for them to keep warm is to burn energy, food energy. But the water in Ensenada is really to cold for a bluefin. So it must take way more food energy than normal to keep them alive and fatten them up. It's not a natural enviornment for them.
It's very difficult to tell what kind of impact this is having on the bluefin population. The counts from San Diego were way down last year. I didn't fish once with them and I love that kind of fishing.
As for the waste issue, I doubt there is truth to it. The is alot of current there and my guess is that it is washed away.
I also guess there is about 100 pens there now. Maybe only some are full.
I'm also not going to dive under those pens to verify the condition of the bottom. All I can say is "yuck". But if someone is brave enough to do it I'd sure like to know.
I'm also looking for a black "navy seal" type zodiac for a night time raid on the pens. I would imagine that it would only take a few seconds to hook up with a live 'dine. Then run hard for the beach and get the heck outta Dodge.;D

"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." J. A. Shedd.

A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it. – Albert Einstein

"Life's a Beach... and then you Fly!" Fishbuck

TonyC
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-24-2008 at 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by fishbuck
I'm also looking for a black "navy seal" type zodiac for a night time raid on the pens. I would imagine that it would only take a few seconds to hook up with a live 'dine. Then run hard for the beach and get the heck outta Dodge.;D

Make lemonade out lemons.....I like how you roll Fishbuck. I'm down. Tight lines on your trip. Definitely need to meet you Bro..

[Edited on 5-25-2008 by TonyC]
fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 5-24-2008 at 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by TonyC
Quote:

Make lemonade out lemons.....I like how you roll Fishbuck. I'm down. Tight lines on your trip. Definitely need to meet you Bro..

[Edited on 5-25-2008 by TonyC]

Ya, sure is nice of those guys to bring the bluefin in close for us.
I'm hoping the WSBs and forkies will show in June around SQ . So maybe we can split a boat when it goes off.
And you know it's gonna go off!

"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." J. A. Shedd.

TonyC
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-24-2008 at 09:30 PM

Pic. of Kelly last year....wish it was me with him that day.

I'm hoping to fit in a trip either Aug. or Sept., thinking about heading down for the July 4 weekend for a day of fishing.
Don Alley
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-25-2008 at 08:52 AM

Here ya go Fishbuck:

Sportfishing Ranch

Quote:
How It Works
Lone Star BFR variously catches and purchases healthy big-game fish from all over the North Atlantic, Caribbean and beyond, then releases them into separate species pens to grow even bigger until they're ready to be caught.

Two days before your scheduled fishing day, we remove several individual fish of whatever species you've contracted to catch (our pens operate like advanced purse seines to facilitate this). Then, we transport them to a smaller pen to which you're shuttled immediately by boat or helicopter when you arrive. There, your big-game boat with captain and crew awaits - as do several huge fish, all hungry and looking to eat! Does it get any better?

:lol::lol::lol:

[Edited on 5-25-2008 by Don Alley]
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 5-25-2008 at 10:44 AM

Jeez!:o Why not just put 'em in a big swimming pool?:?:
Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-27-2008 at 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Don Alley
Here ya go Fishbuck:

Sportfishing Ranch

Quote:
How It Works
Lone Star BFR variously catches and purchases healthy big-game fish from all over the North Atlantic, Caribbean and beyond, then releases them into separate species pens to grow even bigger until they're ready to be caught.

Two days before your scheduled fishing day, we remove several individual fish of whatever species you've contracted to catch (our pens operate like advanced purse seines to facilitate this). Then, we transport them to a smaller pen to which you're shuttled immediately by boat or helicopter when you arrive. There, your big-game boat with captain and crew awaits - as do several huge fish, all hungry and looking to eat! Does it get any better?

Well, looks like the whole thing was an absurd gag! An April fools type of thing.... it's all fake. Hahahaha :lol:
Bob H
fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 5-27-2008 at 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Don Alley
Here ya go Fishbuck:

Sportfishing Ranch

Quote:
How It Works

Sounds fun but I like my idea better. I'd kinda like to get back at those guys for scooping up our bluefin and sending them to Japan.
Why don't the Japanese eat the bluefin from their own waters? Oh that's right they've already fished them out through unsustainable fishing practices.

Gadget
Senior Nomad

Mood: Blessed with another day

[*] posted on 5-27-2008 at 07:13 PM

I find it interesting that since a blue fin tuna is a pelagic fish and needs to swim at large to be what it is, that with the Japanese well trained palet and first rate quality required on all their seafood product, that there would even be a market for pen raised tuna.

What gives?

Seems like there should have been a period in that sentence but I couldn't figure out where. Sorry

"Mankind will not be judged by their faults, but by the direction of their lives." Leo Giovinetti

See you in Baja
http://www.LocosMocos.com
Gadget
fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 5-27-2008 at 07:38 PM

I believe I have read somewhere that the pen raised fish have a higher fat content due to less swimming. I also seem to remember that the Japanese prefer that higher fat taste and texture.
The true pelagics are lean mean swimming machines and might be a bit more "gamey".
Like a "free range" Baja steer versus pen raised.
Maybe

Frank
Senior Nomad

Mood: Is it time to leave yet?

[*] posted on 5-27-2008 at 08:01 PM

Think Kobe beef. Fattem them up, dont let them swim and toughen up, then only harvest when an order is placed.

I had to leave so I wouldnt lob a dean into that full on foamer going on.:lol:
Roberto
Banned

[*] posted on 5-27-2008 at 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Gadget
I find it interesting that since a blue fin tuna is a pelagic fish and needs to swim at large to be what it is, that with the Japanese well trained palet and first rate quality required on all their seafood product, that there would even be a market for pen raised tuna.

What gives?

Seems like there should have been a period in that sentence but I couldn't figure out where. Sorry

The pen-raised tuna does not yield as high a price as wild bluefin, so you are correct. The reason for the pens is dependability of supply, and a close second to the wild caught. That's where the market opportunity lies.
Alan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-28-2008 at 05:41 AM

We came through on the leeward side of the Coronados last weekend and the pens were gone. Anybody know why?

In Memory of E-57
Gadget
Senior Nomad

Mood: Blessed with another day

[*] posted on 5-28-2008 at 09:00 AM

Quote:
I believe I have read somewhere that the pen raised fish have a higher fat content due to less swimming. I also seem to remember that the Japanese prefer that higher fat taste and texture.
The true pelagics are lean mean swimming machines and might be a bit more "gamey".
Like a "free range" Baja steer versus pen raised.
Maybe

Hmm, an interesting concept. Have you ever eaten fresh blue fin tuna?

I was out on a day and a half boat out of Quivera Basin and caught a 38 lb blue fin. It was the jack pot fish until we started in. A guy on 12 lb test hooked up on troll and we stopped for 45 minutes while he got his arse kicked. Even though we were comming in and the jackpot should have been mine, we all agreed to give the $175 to him for landing the 45lb yellowtail.

Since I caught my fish at the beginning of the day, we chilled it, carved up some sashimi and all enjoyed it for late lunch. Melts in your mouth. Tough no. Gamey no way.

"Mankind will not be judged by their faults, but by the direction of their lives." Leo Giovinetti

See you in Baja
http://www.LocosMocos.com
Gadget
fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 5-28-2008 at 10:38 AM

I've caught several bluefin fishing from San Diego. 1 trip on the Mascot VI I caught 3. The small one was 55lbs and 2 at 65.
These were the first tuna I ever caught.
It was very difficult and I was spent after the three fish and losing a couple others.
The jackpot fish was 120-130 or so.
This was on a 1 1/2 day trip.
I've caught several other smaller and yes it's dilicious.
But I was talking about what they (Japanese) like.
I prefer the lean red pieces for sushimi but I think they prefer the fatty parts more.
But I also like YFT and Albacore better than BFT. But I'm not Japanese so what do I know.

Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.