Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Is Tijuana safe?
fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 6-25-2008 at 04:41 PM
Is Tijuana safe?

I was scolded a little about my report from TJ by one of it's leading citizens.
So I thought I would try and report exactly what happened and maybe offer a few pointers. I learned a few things about TJ.
I arrived quite late or early Sat. morn. Why did I drive there so late you ask?
I'm trying to figure out a way to make my way as far as I can on Friday night after I get out of work. (11:30pm).
I have already driven as far as Ensenada and gotten there at 2-3 am. Why do this. Because I usually need to get up early and get to my place in San Quintin and sometimes Bola on Sat. so I can fish on Sunday and be back to work at 3pm Monday.
So yes I'm pushing it a little.
I dicided that maybe I just need to get as far as TJ and get into a hotel and maybe play a little in the clubs. So that is the background.
This was my 1st try at TJ. I don't really know my way around there yet. But I'm not really scared of much either.
I got there around 2:30-3:00am. I had a little hotel in mind but didn't know where it was. So I drove into town and found my way to Revolution.
I didn't really want to go driving around that late so I parked in front of the OXXO across from the 24hour Soriana. There were no tourists but lots of locals. I went into the OXXO to buy a beer but it was too late. So I asked if they knew where the Hotel Catalina was and they didn't.
There were other cars parked near mine and it wasn't obviously marked "No Parking" in any way. Later I noticed that it was faded white paint on the curb. But not very well painted.
The barkers from the Aloha club were working me hard as I sat at my truck trying to figure it all out. What the heck... I needed a beer. 1 beer and a very nice lap dance from a beautful lady($16) and I'm back down at my truck.
I grab some cash and walk down the street looking for the Catalina. Turns out to be about 2-3 blocks away and I get a room for $20 and head back to get the truck.
As I'm walking back the Aloha club barker is yelling for me to come quick because they are towing my truck.
I run back and the cop is standing by my truck and the tow truck is making his way over to us.
So it's a very seriuos crime to park in the white zone I guess. The ticket is $80 and the towing is $60 but would I like to pay it right there on the spot. So we settle on $100 and I feel like the luckiest guy in the world as I driving over to the hotel.
It's funny that no one mentioned that it was illegal to park there including all the cops that were standing around when I was still there. And the barker actually wanted a tip for helping me not get towed. I guess it was only illegal after I walked over to the hotel.
I secured my truck on street parking in front of the hotel. I stuff a few bucks in my pocket and head over to the Hotel Ceaser which is the closest bar to the Catalina. I get to the corner of Revo and a very pretty girl intercepts me and begins to offer various services. At this point I want a beer or 2 and then get into my room for some rest. It's like 4am. She is very persuasive. And very charming. Before I can fend her off she has managed to touch me just about everywhere that can be touched. The she abruptly storms off!
What the heck?
So over to the Ceasars and another lady this time a very very plump one plants herself on me. I order a beer and reach in my pocket to pay. Where's the money?
Lightbulb goes on. That street hoochie reached into my pocket and got my beer money.
Oh well, apologies to the waiter and I'm out the door and now I just want to hide in my room and wait for the sun to come up.

So here is Tijuana tip #2. Before you go to TJ you should try and know where there is a secure parking spot for your vehicle. Drive directly to that spot and park. Don't drive around or park on the street. There are too many traps to fall into. Walk or take a taxi after that.

Don't bother with the Catalina. It's way too noisey. Truck noise from the street and door slamming noises will prevent much sleep.

It's easy to get a ticket or get towed in any beach city in SoCal too. So TJ is not unique in that little scam either. But parking in a white zone will not get you towed in Newport where I live. It's about a $30 parking ticket that will be on your windshield when you come back. In fact it takes three unpaid parking tickets in Newport before they will tow you.
The only time they will tow you here is if you park on private property like someones driveway.
So yes I made a couple rookie mistakes and it cost me a few bucks. But TJ is full of little scams so I doubt if that will be the last time I get tricked. They're waiting for you! And they will probably get you.
But I will definately go back. I had a great time. I still need to find the right little hotel and my secure parking spot. You can bet I'll know exactly where to go next time I drive down there at 2:30-300am.:coolup:

[Edited on 6-25-2008 by fishbuck]

[Edited on 6-27-2008 by fishbuck]

"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." J. A. Shedd.

A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it. – Albert Einstein

"Life's a Beach... and then you Fly!" Fishbuck

ELINVESTIG8R
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 6-25-2008 at 04:52 PM
Holy cow Fish! From bad to worse.

bajadock
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-25-2008 at 04:55 PM

Fish,
You certainly have a positive attitude. Thanks for the heads up on how to find expensive beer in TJ.

Lauriboats
Senior Nomad

Mood: Loving life in Baja

[*] posted on 6-25-2008 at 05:03 PM

I can think of safer places to hang out by myself at 3:00 AM.

What we see depends mainly on what we look for.
fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 6-25-2008 at 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Lauriboats
I can think of safer places to hang out by myself at 3:00 AM.
Well what are you offering? Sorry couldn't help myself;D
I figured there would be some kind of response like this. My answer is..." You ain't me".

"Ships are safe in the harbor. But that's not what ships are built for"... Some smart guy

"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." J. A. Shedd.

Frank
Senior Nomad

Mood: Is it time to leave yet?

[*] posted on 6-25-2008 at 05:30 PM

Lap Dance $16.00?:biggrin:
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

Mood: Its Pole Line Road time

[*] posted on 6-25-2008 at 06:02 PM

Next time, stay in Playas, not downtown. I used to party with my friends and stay on Revo near Cuahuilla at a new (at the time) motel called, "Plaza De Oro". At my young age (back then), I thought, "What a perfect location!" I was 1 block up from Hard Rock Cafe, and I had free parking. But, this place took a serious dive after I returned with my then-wife Suzanne. People doing all sorts of bad stuff in the parking lot, then vandalizing cars parked there, the night attendant scoring bad stuff in the alley behind the motel, leaving ME to watch the hotel FOR HIM. I decided that TJ took a turn for the worst around 1999, and we decided to not go back.

So, I'm divorced now, older, mid-life crisis material, and I still won't park my junk in the parking lot in this area. Plus, the place is now infested with some serious c-ckROACHES, the noise, problems, etc., Fish, you gotta watch out when you hang out around places like that. Plus, you're going alone which isn't too smart. My father's 79 yrs. old, and he always told me, "You better go with a friend who has your back, never alone."

My Junk:

[Edited on 6-26-2008 by Ken Cooke]

[Edited on 6-26-2008 by Ken Cooke]

MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 6-25-2008 at 06:12 PM
Not as Safe as yesteryear.

Be sure to wear protection.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 6-25-2008 at 06:26 PM

Nice photo Ken of your Jeep going to Mision Santa Maria de los Angeles... that's the kind of 'tough Baja' I want to experience... not what poor fishbuck is going through!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-25-2008 at 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Nice photo Ken of your Jeep going to Mision Santa Maria de los Angeles... that's the kind of 'tough Baja' I want to experience... not what poor fishbuck is going through!

While the wild outback is nice, city life is fun and entertaining too. Plus, the guy is hooking up with a suavecita. Man cannot live by camping and drinking beer alone...

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 6-25-2008 at 06:50 PM

Agreed Ken... having your very own 'Baja Angel' is what makes it all worth it!

108 120r.JPG - 34kB

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-25-2008 at 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Agreed Ken... having your very own 'Baja Angel' is what makes it all worth it!
I agree 110%. Always camping alone has its limits.

Neal Johns
Super Nomad

Mood: In love!

[*] posted on 6-25-2008 at 07:11 PM

Ken, nice picture of your Baja Junker. Never thought you would admit it!

Toyota Neal :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Great picture of the road coming out of the palm grove. You are almost there! Good work with Photoshop cloning the tow strap and Toyota out!

My motto:
Never let a Dragon pass by without pulling its tail!
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-25-2008 at 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Neal JohnsGood work with Photoshop cloning the tow strap and Toyota out!
My Rubicon has pulled Toyotas out of Baja, and it is definitely ready and up for the task if the need arises in the future.

HERE'S THE PROOF

fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 6-25-2008 at 08:14 PM

Ya, for sure TJ is the kind of place where it would be very good to have a wingman. But sometimes you just gotta fly solo. I'm not waiting around for someone to show up. I do it when I want to and when I have time.

It must be nice to have a beautiful wife or girlfriend. But I don't. I'm working on it. But unless you are a bachelor you probably don't know how frustrating it is. Sometimes you need to play by a different set of rule so you can accomplish the mission if you know what I mean. Yes it's risky. But most things in life worth doing carry some risk.
Hey I'd rather go to the church social to get my girls but that might require a level of patience that I don't have. Plus they don't @#$%!
So I'll report again after I check out Coahuilla street. That is if I'm still alive and not in the jail.:cool:
Anybody want to join me. I could use a good wingman:yes:

fdt
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Yeah, what if it all goes right

[*] posted on 6-25-2008 at 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by fishbuck
:saint: Tijauna? :rolleyes:

A well informed Baja California traveler is a smart Baja California traveler!
fulano
Banned

[*] posted on 6-25-2008 at 10:44 PM

Fishbuck:

FDT should pay you to NOT go to TJ and to NOT report your experiences. You cancel out the effect of all his videos.

:rolleyes:
Mango
Senior Nomad

Mood: Bajatastic

[*] posted on 6-25-2008 at 11:06 PM

There's plenty of dangerous places in Mexico. You can mitigate much of the danger just by your decisions.. and you can also make it worse by your decisions.

I've traveled alone a lot in Mexico and have been to plenty of dangerous areas, met dangerous people, and been to many dangerous parts of towns at night etc. (Mexico City, TJ, Chiapas, Guerrero, etc).

I generally will not drink or even go out much at night in most towns(with the exception of my hotel bar) if I am alone. Thats just me, I'm big and tough... but I'm alone and I stand out as a gringo. If I drink too much I become an easy target.. the bad guys know it and so do I. During the day all bets are off and I'll walk though pretty much any neighborhood without hesitation and have several drinks with lunch or an early dinner.

If I really want to party it up I usually find some other like minded travelers to go out with.. and let her rip. I once ran through one of the worst barrios of Mexico City at 3am tossing a empty box back and forth between myself and 6 other former rugby players from Australia, NZ and Brittan who were staying at the same hostel I was. We ran right by two cops that seemed like they were about to stop us; but, even they didn't toy with 7 drunk guys on a dark street singing rugby songs while running in formation and tossing a box back and forth. :lol:

Moral to the story.. get yourself someone to watch your back like Ken suggested or stay low key and lower your odds of finding trouble.. (i.e. Find yourself a hotel with a good bar, arrive when it's still open, and in some cases you can "tip" well and they just might stay open past normal hours.)
fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 6-25-2008 at 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by fdt
Quote:
Originally posted by fishbuck
:saint: Tijauna? :rolleyes:

I know FDT a little. If you stick with him and his tour Tijuana is safe...period! He knows his way around.
His tour is the PG rated tour and will most likely occur during daylight. TJ during the day is still very interesting and fun.

My"tour" is mostly at night, not PG rated and probably not safe. It is however fun in an adult male sorta way.

So if you follow FDT'S advice I'm sure you will be safe and have fun... during the day. If he does another tour I might go alone and try and learn something. Like where is a good place to buy some black cowboy boots.
I need them for my new TJ persona "Streetbuck". He only comes out at night.:cool:

[Edited on 6-26-2008 by fishbuck]

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-26-2008 at 06:46 PM

I traveled 3 times recently to Colombia to visit with my fiancee who lives in Northern Colombia. Her street is so "bad", the cab drivers usually make me walk the last block to her house.

Its all worth it, though. Our immigration case is just in its' last stage, and I'm soooo HAPPY to find someone like Onelis that makes me a happy man. I know as a bachelor, you gotta do what you gotta do. But, be aware and be careful out there, because its not always worth the "fun."

Onelis and I in March '08

Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.