[*] posted on 7-4-2008 at 03:37 PM
CARNITAS URUAPAN

YUM YUM! Strange that it's never mentioned on NOMADS
Gypsy Jan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Depends on which way the wind is blowing

[*] posted on 7-4-2008 at 05:42 PM

Mais non, Mssr. bancoduo

Carnitas Uruapan has been around for decades in TJ (and I heard there is a branch in SD).

I have posted on Nomad about my visits to the original TJ location. The food is always good.

But, I prefer La Cachanilla, located on the right hand side of the old free road going to Rosarito, about one mile-and-a-half before the junction with the toll road (just look for the line up of semis parked in front with the big pink pig painted on the outside).

Also, Carnitas la Flor de Michoacan in central Rosarito.

“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow mindedness.”
—Mark Twain

\"La vida es dura, el corazon es puro, y cantamos hasta la madrugada.” (Life is hard, the heart is pure and we sing until dawn.)
—Kirsty MacColl, Mambo de la Luna

\"Alea iacta est.\"
—Julius Caesar
BajaWarrior
Super Nomad

Mood: Anxious to get south

[*] posted on 7-4-2008 at 08:36 PM

The location of the Carnitas Urupan is actually in the city of Lemon Grove, literally a mile out of San Diego City limits. It's on Broadway, and it's closed on Tuesday's I believe, call first...

It aint TJ, but damn good and no border wait...

Haven't had a bad trip yet....
fulano
Banned

[*] posted on 7-4-2008 at 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaWarrior
The location of the Carnitas Urupan is actually in the city of Lemon Grove, literally a mile out of San Diego City limits. It's on Broadway, and it's closed on Tuesday's I believe, call first...

lizard lips
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-5-2008 at 07:49 AM

There are so many carnitas places from TJ to Ensenada and I have tried them all but I have to say the best is Carnitas Javier which is on the north side of the free road from Rosirito to Tj. The food is excellent and the prices are nice. Don't go on the weekend. IT'S PACKED....

larry
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-5-2008 at 11:22 AM

I read about Carnitas Uruapan in Sunset Magazine, of all places, probably 25 years ago. The family stopped there on the way to Ensenada back then and had a memorable meal--carnitas por kilo and indoor picnic tables as I recall. Haven't been back since then, merely because it is a hassle to deal with border crossing in TJ, but I bet it is still a place worth visiting.
vandenberg
Elite Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 7-5-2008 at 12:58 PM

OK, we all agree on Carnitas being a great treat.
Now, how about you Nomads supplying the rest of us with the way you do yours.
The latest way I figured up is to boil the pork till tender, usually leg, with a myriad of spices, cut it in 11/2 inch cubes, cool it, sprinkle with garlic powder, cumin, some chili powder and hot chili flakes and then fry them in very hot oil till crispy brown. Some times I also smear blended Chipotles on the cooled pieces. Yum! Yum!

[Edited on 7-5-2008 by vandenberg]

I think my photographic memory ran out of film

Air Evacuation go to
http://www.loretobarbara@skymed.com
lingililingili
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-5-2008 at 01:19 PM

Buy a pork butt (no bone) Put in a roasting pan with lots of Garlic, season with salt and pepper. Put enough water in roaster to reach half way up the pork. Stick in the oven and cook for six to seven hours. The aroma of the meat cooking will drive you nuts all day long!

Some options:

1) Just dice it and make tacos with all the fixins.
2) Dice spuds, fry them up with diced onions, throw in some diced carnitas
til heated thru and then make tacos with all the fixins.

•Life is just one damned thing after another
fulano
Banned

[*] posted on 7-5-2008 at 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by lingililingili
Buy a pork butt (no bone) Put in a roasting pan with lots of Garlic, season with salt and pepper. Put enough water in roaster to reach half way up the pork. Stick in the oven and cook for six to seven hours. The aroma of the meat cooking will drive you nuts all day long!

That's about how I make it. I usually put a pork butt in the oven before I go to bed, at about 300 degrees. The next morning we shred it. Before we make the carnitas, we fry the shredded pork in a pan with a little oil, adding more salt and pepper.

[Edited on 7-5-2008 by fulano]
lingililingili
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-5-2008 at 03:34 PM

Yup, that's how my mama made it when I was growing up. Guess she learned from her madre when she was growing up!

•Life is just one damned thing after another
Graham
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-5-2008 at 04:27 PM

(It's Mrs. Graham here)

Yeah Bajawarrior and Fulano!

Just jumping in to add a few more good words for Carnitas Uruapan in Lemon Grove, CA. Lemon Grove is our local stomping grounds (including our business address) and we have been long time fans of that CU--in fact, from way before they moved to Lemon Grove from Spring Valley (near the old K-Mart and FantasyLand), when Sweetwater Road was developed into the SR 125.

This is a wonderful family run business, and the clientele is largely Mexican. They are closed on Mondays and Tuesdays, and open at 11 a.m. on Wednesday. They were our choice to cater Graham's 50th BD party many moons ago.

Exit SR 94 at Lemon Grove Avenue, go south a few blocks and then east (left) on Broadway, to #8035, on the right. (619.462.0704)

But I agree with Gypsy Jan about La Cachanilla--when we lived in Puerto Nuevo, it was our family's favorite!

Bonni

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.