Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Rancho Ojai - Tecate
MexicoTed
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-7-2008 at 02:24 PM
Rancho Ojai - Tecate

This is a delayed trip report (weekend of June 6-7), but thought I'd let all of you know we had a great weekend at Rancho Ojai Campground just east of Tecate that weekend.

I took my nephews and they loved it. It's very kid/family friendly. They have a pool, playgrounds, mini-golf, farm animals, outside BBQ's and camping cabins. The weather was in the mid-80's during the day and down to 50-55 at night. Also, as you all know, the border wait was minimal at Tecate. We left at 12:30pm on Sunday and had a 22 minute wait.

Great place to get away with the family for a couple days.

Here's a typical cabin

[Edited on 7-7-2008 by MexicoTed]

ro3.jpg - 39kB

MexicoTed
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-7-2008 at 02:29 PM
Rancho Ojai - Tecate

Windmill at Rancho Ojai

ro4.jpg - 36kB

MexicoTed
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-7-2008 at 02:30 PM
Rancho Ojai - Tecate

Nephews (6 & 9) having a great time

ro2.jpg - 36kB

MexicoTed
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-7-2008 at 02:31 PM
Rancho Ojai - Tecate

Inside of the camping cabins

ro1.jpg - 30kB

bajadogs
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-7-2008 at 03:35 PM

I've been curious about that place -

http://www.rancho-ojai.com/

Thanks Ted!

[Edited on 7-7-2008 by bajadogs]
dean miller
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-8-2008 at 06:44 AM

Mrs Miller and I have stopped there on numerous occasions on the way north. We have always enjoyed the stay and the great service. And we are not KOA types
---- That's fer sure--thats fer darn sure! ---
(how many old timers remember that phrase? The years? The movie? The actor who spoke the lines? And to Whom?)

The "Rancho" was awarded the "Number One" or "Outstanding" KOA in the world on several occasions. The owner Fernando (?) was also identified as the number one owner/manager in the KOA organization. The Campground and the owner are really class acts.

As I recall it was not inexpensive..but was a good place to stop when the border was clogged or a good gentle transition back into civilization was required along with a long hot shower.

It is the only campground I have ever visited that in addition to a fire pit had "Kamals' (can't locate dictionario--hope that is the spelling.)

It is my understanding that in the summer time it is populated with upwardly mobile TJ and Ensenada campers and very few Norte Americanos.

As I stated we are NOT KOA types! But this place is the exception...I give it a full five (5) stars!
MexicoTed
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-11-2008 at 12:17 AM

Yes, I highly recommended this place too. The owners are Hernan and Zella Ibanez. They are quite friendly and so is Jonathan (the manager). They have earned quite a reputation in making this a place where people who have stayed here will tell others and who will return themselves.

It was $65 a night for a cabin (prices range from $65-$135 with tent camping around $11, and RVs at $30). There were maybe 10 other cabins used that weekend, leaving most of the campgrounds open. The only downfall to a peaceful time there was the trucks at night coming down the free road with the jake brakes, but I wore ear plus the second night and sleep like a baby.

Ted

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.