Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Bahia Asuncion Trip Report
Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-13-2008 at 07:37 PM
Bahia Asuncion Trip Report

Hey Amigos-

Just wanted to share a quick trip report with you. This will be an abbreviated version but for pictures check out my slide show at
http://picasaweb.google.com/ZAJohnston/Asuncion72008

Also you can check out my blog for more perspective as I get to them. But for the down and dirty:

Left San Diego about 4:15am on June 30th and stopped in TJ for my FMT. I was surprised to find a couple of young ladies working the office. It was a refreshing change especially as they were polite, friendly, and professional. Thanks to this board I was aware of the detour in TJ and had no problems navigating. I breezed through TJ, Ensenada, and San Quintin. For those that say only travel during the day light hours, I disagree...I miss all the traffic and can relax during the drive.

I made the my usual stops along the way for gas at El Rosario and Vizcaino and arrived in Asuncion about 5:00 or so. I was surprised to find new topes in San Quintin near the Military Base. Also, two long stretches south of El Rosario where it appears they are adding a new lane of highway. Why they chose the places they did I'll never know?

My main goal during this trip was to do some work on the house and to study for an upcoming math competency test. If I could get in some fishing, I would but no worries either way.

I arrived at my place to find some c-cktel de abalone, scallop, and caracol. My friend Lupita dropped it off shortly before I arrived. Great food would be the story of this trip. Between oysters and fresh fish at Juan and Shari's, white sea bass plates from my neighbors, to awesome lengua tacos in town, I did not go hungry.

Also of note on this trip were the many cultural affairs going on. On two consecutive nights, there were quincineras and dances at the Concha near my place. I also took in a baseball playoff game and the famous horse races. Oh and how could I forget watching Sirena surf a bit and the elementary school graduation.

With my wife due in a few weeks, I was at the Internet cafe each day. The cafe has wi-fi and I was able to call her from my laptop which made both of us a bit more at ease.

Not much else to report at this time except that each of you should make a trip out that way at some point. I think the people are what make Asuncion special.

Zac

HPIM0967 (Small).JPG - 49kB

shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 7-13-2008 at 08:28 PM

Glad you got home OK Zac...it was a pleasure having you here and spend your last childless days here...life as you know it will never be the same very soon...it'll be BETTER! I can just see little "umberto" trying to throw horseshoes next year at this time! Best of luck with the new little Nomad and see ya at Thanksgiving we hope! LOVE your new planter by the way.

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-13-2008 at 08:49 PM

:cool:

MAGA
Making Attorneys Get Attorneys

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 7-13-2008 at 09:03 PM

Cool Zac... I hope Tracy and you have a wonderful parenthood!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Barbareno
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-14-2008 at 05:36 AM

Great report Zac. Man I could stare at your pictures forever. And I must check out your blog.

Has it been 9 months? Hello to Tracy and baby on the way.

Barb and Tim
jorgie
Nomad

Mood: on the road....again,again

[*] posted on 7-14-2008 at 06:06 AM

an Asuncion family
Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-14-2008 at 06:15 AM

Best wishes to you and Tracy on a speedy delivery and wonderful life ahead !!
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 7-14-2008 at 06:49 AM

nice shots, cool place, get away coming along. proud people. very enjoyable story.

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
Tiomiguel
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-14-2008 at 10:27 AM

Great Pics Zack, your place looks great and is coming along nicely. Best wishes from Jane and I to Tracy for a good delivery and homecoming. See you at Christmas with the new addition hopefully. Looks like you got a lot done, including some calculus studying, Yechhhh.
Cheers guys.
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 7-14-2008 at 10:30 AM

I just wonder if after baby, you will make it down here so quickly---you must drive fast and your stops have to be the fastest stops around! :yes::yes:

It was good to see you and good luck with baby!

Diane

cabobaja
Nomad

Mood: Smiling

[*] posted on 7-14-2008 at 10:38 AM

Thanks Zac for letting me drop-in and putting me up for the week, (and putting up with me)

Had a great time. Meeting the people of Asuncion, the fishing with Juan and the hospitaliy (and cooking) from Shari.

Cannot wait to throw some shoes with you and Kevin.

Marco
Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-14-2008 at 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by jdtrotter
I just wonder if after baby, you will make it down here so quickly---you must drive fast and your stops have to be the fastest stops around! :yes::yes:

It was good to see you and good luck with baby!

Diane

Nope, don't drive fast just avoid the congestion in TJ/Ensenada/San Quintin during the day. My average speed is between 41-50 mph. Also, I pack a lunch for the drive. But with a baby, I'm sure that might change.

Thanks for all the well wishes from everyone.

Zac

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.