Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Asuncion/BOLA report
Santiago
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-16-2008 at 07:20 PM
Asuncion/BOLA report

Here’s a quick report regarding a working-on-the-casita trip with a quick side trip to Asuncion that my 23 year old son, Brock, and I just returned from.
We crossed the border on Monday at 5:00pm, July 7 at San Yisidro and stopped to declare about 20 gallons of paint/primer/GacoDeck (sealant for flat roof/deck) and about 2 dozen 2X4s. Inspector wrote up a minimum import value of $250 that resulted in a fee of $157 MN. As I’m a whoos on these matters I consider $14 ‘merican for a clean conscience not a bad deal. Also was just curious on the process. We arrived in Bahia Asuncion about 5:00pm the following day and stayed in one of Juan and Shari’s houses, Najaranja. Spent the evening with them, BajaBoy and other folks whose names I don’t recall.
Woke up at 4:00am to get the fishing gear together for a day with Juan and I can’t find my rod tube. Reels/lures/gear all there – just no rods. Nadda, nowhere. We get over to Juan’s about 6:30 just as he’s leaving and beg some spare rods. We start out about 5 miles south of the main island looking for yellowtail but the water around Asuncion is still a little cold and off colored so we get nothing. Fish for calicos at the kelp beds and we all get hooked up for an hour or so. Fish with cut squid north of the island, no bites until we get close to San Roque where I get broken off right away. Brock then starts swearing as he gets hung up on the bottom but then starts yelling that the bottom is moving. I know he’s in trouble as I had him on a very light bass rig, 12 pound test. Juan is shaking his head that there is no chance where gonna get this fish in and grumbling about gringos and their insistence on using way-to-light rigging. He pulls anchor and starts backing down on this fish which we all know to be probably a good size sheephead. After about 10 minutes of careful boat maneuvering and Brock being very careful to not horse the fish in, it tires and Brock starts gaining line. A few minutes later he lands the first sheephead of his career, about a 10 pounder. We spend the next hour in the midst of the kelp fields throwing crocks catching all manner of fish – a lot of fun and something I’ll try in a kayak on my next trip.

[img][/img]
Brock with his 10# sheephead

That night Shari cooks up a caldo with the sheephead and we end the evening playing music and general carrying on.

Thursday we leave and head to Vizciano to get the lumber for our building project. Shari and Juan assured me they would have what we needed. I have a 2007 Silverado, king cab so the bed, with the tailgate down is not even 8’ – we are getting 30 2X6X12’ and 9 sheets of ¾” plywood. The crew at the yard was very helpful – they unloaded all my tools from the bed, put the 2X6’s in first, laid the plywood down on top of that, loaded all the heavy tools to the front and everything tied down good with CHP approved rope I brought and about 5 red flags. We spent the next 3 hours going about 50MPH north to the BOLA turnoff and on to our place in Camp Gecko.
A note about the lumber: the 2X6 was doug fir (I’m pretty sure) but not stamped. The plywood was what I would call A/B, 7 ply, but also not stamped. It was not T&G. The cost was $6400MN or about $592US. This is a premium of about $175 over my cost at my local yard here in Sacramento but as I would have had to pay duty and haul it 1000 miles and I don’t have a flatbed trailer anyway I was not unhappy. I’ve since learned that the way to do this is to call the lumber yard in Maneadero, order from the English speaking sales person and have it delivered to BOLA. And that’s exactly what I will do next time.
Won’t bore you with all the building stuff but to say that working in 95 to 100 degree heat, 50-60% humidity we got about 1/3 done in 4 days than what I planned. Did no fishing in BOLA but 4baja was there – I’m sure he’ll post his report next week.
Oh - we had our first rattlesnake - a little 7" bugger.

We trapped him and took him out in the desert a ways.

shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 7-16-2008 at 07:28 PM

Hey Santiago...we sure had a blast with you and your son...excellent musician with Ray on back up sax! I laughed at your picture of the red licorice tub...earlier that day I saw our Comandante and Leri (skateboarding cop!) saw them stuff their pockets with the stuff...Scott's get out of jail free idea of friendship( and a couple scampi). Licorice, tecate, sheephead stew, live music and good pals....wonderful visit amigos.

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-16-2008 at 08:05 PM

Santiago-

Great time for sure...can't wait to meet up at your place next time.

Zac

Pacifico
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-18-2008 at 08:33 AM

Santiago -
How is that GacoDeck product? Have you used it before and are you happy with it? Is it reasonably priced? I've been on their website and it looks pretty simple to apply. Any 1st hand info is appreciated! Thanks!
Martyman
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-18-2008 at 10:58 AM

Where did your rods turn up??
Santiago
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-18-2008 at 11:06 AM

Pac: GacoDeck was very easy to install - we'll see on how it actaully turns out in a few years. About $550 for 240 sq ft.
Martyman: rods are forever gone - hope whomever found them enjoys 'em.

CaboRon
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Peacefull

[*] posted on 7-18-2008 at 11:15 AM

Thank's for the trip report ,

Could you help us out and

Thanks so much,

CaboRon

CaboRon
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Peacefull

[*] posted on 7-18-2008 at 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by soulpatch
Pics look fine to me.
Nice beacon.

Two of them are over 1K pixels wide .....

The forum limits are 600 pixels wide in order to maintain the the screen width .....

Please check out the posting guidelines ....

Here is the word from the horses mouth ...

Please read it ....

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=23465

Thanks,

CaboRon

Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-18-2008 at 12:15 PM

OK all you pixel poachers raise your hands. Second thought put them back down it's just too hot for that silliness.:bounce:
Butt seriously, thanks for the info I didn't read many of the rules.

Bahia Concepcion where life starts...given a chance!
Santiago
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-18-2008 at 06:38 PM

I went back to photobucket and changed them to "message board" size. Any ID the rattler?

Pacifico
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-22-2008 at 08:17 PM

There are so many different species and it is hard to tell exactly unless you are an expert. I've caught a lot of rattlers (mostly Southern Pacific rattlers) and there is a big difference in how they look between juvenile and adult. Here is a possible ID:
http://www.sdnhm.org/fieldguide/herps/crot-eny.html

Any herpetologists out there???

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.