Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Need jig-stick recomendations
Santiago
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-21-2008 at 07:27 PM
Need jig-stick recomendations

Due to complete stoooopidity on my part - I'm without a jig stick and must buy a new one. Looking for recomendations for jigging/yoyoing irons for yellowtail. I run 50# spectra with top shot of mono. Want to be in the $200 range.

Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-21-2008 at 07:35 PM

Santiago: I will sell you my Stick for the $200. It was custom built by the Fishing Outfit at Signal Hill. I will garuantee it, will ship to you and you no like send it Back. All of my sticks were custom built.

I will send you a Phot0 if you will u2u me your email. I started and ended fishing with Salas Jigs, even had some built for the Mexicano ?Commerical Fisherman.

Skeet/Loreto
Pescador
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-21-2008 at 08:06 PM

Cabelas has a salt striker rod CSSBC-705-2 that is a pretty fair jigging stick for $89.99
The Ugly Stick in the Tiger Rod has a medium or a medium heaby for $57.99
Stock no BWCAO2201 or 2202
Offshore Angler, www.basspro.com has a series of Offshore Extreme Rods that retail for 109.99
Since I build rods I have not tried everyone of these but have had friends who have used them and seem happy.
Kinda depends on what kind of jigging you want to do. If it is the new butterfly/knife jigs then the rod changes significantly from normall yo-yo and iron.
jeans
Super Nomad

Mood: Encantada

[*] posted on 7-21-2008 at 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Santiago
Due to complete stoooopidity on my part - I'm without a jig stick.....

Now that sounds like a story that we need to hear as a diversion from the recent "Newbies from Hell"....:lol:

[Edited on 7-22-2008 by jeans]

Mom always told me to be different - Now she says...Not THAT different
Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-21-2008 at 08:26 PM

For $200 you can get almost anything but a Cal graphiter.
Even the Cal Westcoaster 670HC is under $200 - very nice rod !

Is this for "tossing" jigs or yoyoing jigs and how long do you like ?
Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 7-21-2008 at 08:36 PM

IWish I knew what

you guys are tawkin about...

JIGS...TOSSING JIGS...YOYOING...BUTTERFLY/KNIFE JIGS...AAAARRRGH!:?::?:

I NEED TO GET INTO FISHING, BUT THIS IS WORSE THAN SPANISH:o:o:o

I AM GUESSING I NEED TO MAKE A HOUSE-CALL ON OSPREY ONE OF THESE DAYS.

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-21-2008 at 09:28 PM

Also, if you post this question on Allcoast you will get a frenzy of enducated answers.
And they are nicer than Bloodykooks.
Also "The Hull Truth" if you don't mind a few east coast answers.
Udo and others; These are both good sites to lurk on to learn about saltwater fishing.
Alan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-22-2008 at 06:45 AM

I just picked up a SuperSeeker 6480 for my Trini 40N and can't wait to try it but it's above the price range you mentioned. The Calstar 90J has enjoyed great reviews for many years but if you plan on butterfly/knife jigs you will want a stiffer rod that shuts off sooner such as a grafighter.

In Memory of E-57
Don Alley
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-22-2008 at 07:44 AM

For deep yoyo jigging, I like a shorter rod, maybe 6 1/2 ft, glass or graphite. One that can also double as a bait stick, and can pull 20lbs of drag, like a 40-50 lb rating.

For casting jigs, I like an 8 footer. 30 or 40 lb line. I use both, depending on the proximity of bottom structure.

I build most of mine, and like the Seeker and Calstar composites, but I believe they may be out of your price range.

I have a Seeker SD8 glass jigstick. It casts very well, can take either the 30 or 40 line, parabolic action that's easier on your back than the 8 foot composites after pulling on a couple of big ones. Disadvantages are it's a heavy stick for a long period of tossing jigs, and it's butt is too large to fit in a rod holder.

I also have a nice, lightweight Graphtech, 8 foot for 30lb line,that was priced lower than the competition when I bought it 6-7 years ago at Eric's Tackle in Ventura. Like the SD8, cork tape (no reel seat) grip for a clamped on rod. It's caught a lot of yellowtail.

I broke my 8foot Shikari jig stick this season and will possibly replace it with a Calstar 800m, I like my shorter 700m.

Butterfly jigging, I'm still trying to figure it out, and the tackle for it.
Pescador
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-22-2008 at 08:20 AM

Well there you go Santiago, many different options. Tell us about what you want it to do, how you normally use it, and where, and I am sure that we can come up with some good reccomendations about the most suitable rods for that application.
Santiago
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-22-2008 at 08:34 AM

I'm baiscally going to use this for Salax 6X and jrs in 150' to 250' deep water. I was using a Seeker Black Beauty 670 but I broke the tip on the up-swing - sent it in for repair (posted a report on the whole thing 6 months ago) and Seeker kindly explained that I was miss-using the rod, even though it had a "J" in it's designation, it was really a live bait rod. They replaced it and then I lost it on the washboard going to Asuncion because someone DIDN'T TIE THE BAZOOKA DOWN. (That's for you, Jeans, and I completely agree with your editorial comments...)
How about Seekers West Coast Series which I beleive is the Sabre blank - anyone have experince on these or are these too 'old school'.
Skeeter: now this is intriquing on several levels - I'll definately send you my e-mail for photos and history.

Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 7-22-2008 at 08:49 AM

Santiago, for about half your budget, you could use a Penn Torque graphite jigging rod that is slim and lightweight. Good comfy grip so you can use them for a long day. Comes in a couple different lengths and probably at least 3-4 line weights. A workhorse rod at 5'8" 80-130 lb model TJ8013C58 ..coupled with a Daiwa 40 Saltist with a 6.4:1 ratio lets you work quick and deep. Can be had in 6'6"for a good casting-jigging combo in a pinch. They are about a hundred bucks.
I also use a 5'8" and 6'6" Shimano, and no problems with those either, except they are lots more money.

We have been having some fun trying the butterfly lures and methods on really deep fish off the Oregon coast lately..lings, sea bass, etc....when we can get out! Dang wind. The jigs are 3-d type with flat sides and a real shiny look, weighted to wobble on the way down - be ready to get hits before it hits bottom. Lots of different weights and colors available but I favor the chartrueses in almost every wobbler ..salt and fresh..just my choice over the years.

Tight lines!

p.s. Last night's dinner at Two Dog's Oregon house was delicious lingcod...ummm-good.

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
Santiago
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-22-2008 at 09:18 AM

Wow - another 'thumbs-up' for Two Dogs - good spot.

Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-22-2008 at 10:04 AM

Oh Pompano ....

BBQ rib dinner at our place tonight.
Only 1 hour east of Portland !!
My recipe is WORLD famous ! :yes:
Pescador
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-22-2008 at 02:03 PM

I think that a 6 1/2 to 7 foot is a better jig stick for what you are used to and what you are doing. The black steel series was a great rod and you might want to go one step heavier with the SC665H which is 6 1/2 but the tip size goes from a 9 to a 10 and should hold up even if you get lucky and hit one of those big 50 lb fish on a tear. I like Calstar in terms of holding up to the abuse and the GF700H is a great blank.
Charkbait has the very rod you lost for $191.00 or the same price on the 665H if you want to beef up a little. 6 inches on tip length will not make much difference in terms of the action on a Salas.
Wish I was not so busy right now or I would wrap you one for the cost of materials but just can not get to another rod right now.
Sorry about your loss, bet someone was jumping up and down with joy when they found a bazooka full of rods.

[Edited on 7-22-2008 by Pescador]
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 7-22-2008 at 02:29 PM

When Pescador talks about fishing in the Sea of Cortez, listen and take notes.:) He lives there, makes his own rods etc. and spends more time fishing than a lot of folks spend breathing.:yes:
Santiago
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-22-2008 at 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pescador
I think that a 6 1/2 to 7 foot is a better jig stick for what you are used to and what you are doing. The black steel series was a great rod and you might want to go one step heavier with the SC665H which is 6 1/2 but the tip size goes from a 9 to a 10 and should hold up even if you get lucky and hit one of those big 50 lb fish on a tear. I like Calstar in terms of holding up to the abuse and the GF700H is a great blank.
Charkbait has the very rod you lost for $191.00 or the same price on the 665H if you want to beef up a little. 6 inches on tip length will not make much difference in terms of the action on a Salas.
Wish I was not so busy right now or I would wrap you one for the cost of materials but just can not get to another rod right now.
Sorry about your loss, bet someone was jumping up and down with joy when they found a bazooka full of rods.

[Edited on 7-22-2008 by Pescador]

"Yes, Master"
Went with the 6.5' as I never really felt good about that 7 footer.
Charkbait's just got some more of my money...:(

Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 7-22-2008 at 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Diver
Also, if you post this question on Allcoast you will get a frenzy of enducated answers.
And they are nicer than Bloodykooks.
Also "The Hull Truth" if you don't mind a few east coast answers.
Udo and others; These are both good sites to lurk on to learn about saltwater fishing.

Quote:

Quote:

DIVER, are these sites with a dot com, or are they a blogspot.com? Any help is appreciated! I am sure that none of you great fisherpersons were born with a silver rod in your mouth...you had to start somewhere.

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-22-2008 at 05:49 PM

allcoast.com

thehulltruth.com

You can browse both without registering but registration is free to post questions.
Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-22-2008 at 07:00 PM

Santiago: The Rod I am selling is a Harnell!

Maybe some of the old timers can tell you about it/ Pictures coming tommorrow.Skeet
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.