Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Tamale Inn, Rosarito
Gypsy Jan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Depends on which way the wind is blowing

[*] posted on 8-4-2008 at 08:19 PM
Tamale Inn, Rosarito

We (my Mexican American friends and I) had a great meal there last Saturday.

I had the eggs and pork chops and I forget what they ordered, but the bill was less than $20 US.

We were there while waiting for our appointment at the beauty shop next door.

A Mexican couple came into the beauty shop; the husband and wife wanted pedicures. Then the husband ordered appetizers and Tecate and mariachis while his toes were being treated.

The barber went over to the Tamale Inn, the snacks and Tecate were delivered, but, since The Tamale Inn doesn't serve liquor, I guess that this was a two stop deal).

Sadly, no mariachis showed up before we left.

The boyfriend said that the next time we want to get a beauty treatment, he was going to bring along a six pack and enjoy the wait.

“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow mindedness.”
—Mark Twain

\"La vida es dura, el corazon es puro, y cantamos hasta la madrugada.” (Life is hard, the heart is pure and we sing until dawn.)
—Kirsty MacColl, Mambo de la Luna

\"Alea iacta est.\"
—Julius Caesar
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 8-5-2008 at 06:26 AM

Tell us about the Tamale menu. Various types?
Gypsy Jan
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-5-2008 at 08:24 AM

The Tamale Inn is mostly a breakfast and lunch place (I think they close at 4 pm).

The menu boasts about its American style breakfasts, with "the only bone-in ham steak from the U.S." with eggs. I can state that it is good.

I had the three pork chops "Dixie Style" with eggs. It came with excellent hash browns, a slice of watermelon and a biscuit smothered in country grayy (toast is an alternative choice). There were complimentary chips with excellent salsa.

There are several Mexican and American lunch specials on the menu, but I never seem to get past the terrific breakfast items.

—Mark Twain

\"La vida es dura, el corazon es puro, y cantamos hasta la madrugada.” (Life is hard, the heart is pure and we sing until dawn.)

\"Alea iacta est.\"
—Julius Caesar
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 8-5-2008 at 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Gypsy Jan
I had the three pork chops "Dixie Style" with eggs. It came with excellent hash browns, a slice of watermelon and a biscuit smothered in country grayy (toast is an alternative choice). There were complimentary chips with excellent salsa.

Ohhhh Lordy, that sounds good. Maybe the place should be called "The Pork Chop Palace."
BajaSerg
Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 8-5-2008 at 09:48 AM

Food sounds good but were is the Tamale Inn located in Rosarito?
Gypsy Jan
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-5-2008 at 11:02 AM
Gahhh! I So Bad

With directions, but I will give it a try.

Romero's Tamale Inn is located in the Zona Centro, on Benito Juarez Blvd., on the ocean side of the street in a small strip of shops that front the sidewalk. There is a small, two story hotel, whose name I can never remember, directly across the street at the stop sign.

The beachfront, highrise Corona Hotel is nearby, a little bit north, if I remember correctly.

If you look up the Rosarito Visitor's webpage (which I tried to find to give you a link, but failed miserably), I'm sure they will respond with better contact info.

And, I might add that we have been eating there for more that eight years and the food has always been good and the breakfast that I had there last week was excellent. My Tijuanense friends were impressed, they said that this was the kind of restaurant they had wanted to find in Rosarito.

—Mark Twain

\"Alea iacta est.\"
—Julius Caesar
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 8-5-2008 at 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Quote:
Originally posted by Gypsy Jan

Ohhhh Lordy, that sounds good. Maybe the place should be called "The Pork Chop Palace."

Real country gravy---the kind that causes rage with your doctor? Boy, oh boy----sounds great. :yes:

Diane

docsmom
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-5-2008 at 03:04 PM

Gypsy Jan,
So glad to hear you had a good experience there. We too have been having great breakfasts there for years but the last two times we went there they claimed to be out of food because of "break-ins" the night before. I believed them but it ticked off the DH and he swore not to go back there again. Next time we're down I'll drag him in because I love their great omelet with avocado and DH will just have to deal with it. Hopefully they'll have biscuits and gravy and they won't have had a "break in" the night before. All will be well and DH will be happy.
Thanks for the update!
Gypsy Jan
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-5-2008 at 03:33 PM
I Had Not Eaten There in Years

Without claiming any inside information, you should know that the restaurant on that Saturday was crazy busy.

Our orders took about forty-five minutes, but our waiter constantly replenished our water and the chips and salsa.

When the food was delivered, it was perfect - eggs over easy and they just creamed across the pork chops.

The waiter/manager(?) checked with us several times to make sure we were happy.

[Edited on 8-5-2008 by Gypsy Jan]

—Mark Twain

\"Alea iacta est.\"
—Julius Caesar

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.