BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Aggggh! I'm Chomping at the Bit!!
DeMinimis
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-19-2008 at 12:48 PM
Aggggh! I'm Chomping at the Bit!!

I am so ready to head back to Baja. Not going until Feb. Taking this (no horse trailer, of course) and going from beach to beach for a couple/3 weeks:

and towing this:

Off-road, gulf side, any thoughts on a good route? Want to start at least 200 miles from the border (at a minimum) and start working our way south. Wouldn't mind hitting a nice motel every 4 days or so for cleaning up. Thanks.

[Edited on 8-19-2008 by DeMinimis]
thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

Mood: muy amable

[*] posted on 8-19-2008 at 01:26 PM

You pretty well defined the route by your description.
Down from San Felipe, over the Sisters to Gonzaga, on down to Punta Final,
motel at Alfonsinas,
up to Calamajue Canyon, if you can make it through,
Coco's,
and then if you still have energy it is down to LABay and on to Punta San Francisquito.
Not sure where else along the Northern Gulf that your critter would go.

(is that your other car in the background;D;D;D)
DeMinimis
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-19-2008 at 04:32 PM

That's what I refer to as the Bus Shrine on the East Cape Road between Cabo Pulmo and San Jose del Cabo. This Feb trip is important as its not only a family vacation, but something of a scouting trip for a multi-day off-road trip (large group) in Oct '09 (buggies and bajas). I've covered a fair amount of the lower part of Baja, but I'm something of a greenhorn when it comes to the North (blasted through on Mex 1 in Jan, but that's about it), any any help is much appreciated. Thanks.

You gonna eat that?
thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-19-2008 at 08:38 PM

Well, unfortuately you are not getting much help,
my post was pretty brusque, but if you look at the AAA map you will see that given your starting perameters, my description is pretty much what you have to look forward to.

The road south from San Felipe is rough, getting paved and improved, but still a real contest for the last 50 miles to Gonzaga. Your rig will have no problem, if you are experienced off road.
Recent reports indicate very little traffic on this route, so take plenty of water and be prepared.

You can Nomad=search for info on Gonzaga, most everything you need is there, gas, motel, ice, some grocery.

Then, except for a short sojourn down to Punta Final you are prety much limited to heading up through Coco's Corner, back to the Mex 1 at Chapala, and then an hour of pavement to the LABay junction and another hour of pavement to LABay.
From there you have lots of off road all the way down to Punta San Francisquito and beyond.

There should be some trip reports here on Nomad that describe some of those jaunts.

Good luck, and remember
"Happiness in Baja is a morning with air in all four tires."
DeMinimis
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-19-2008 at 10:06 PM

Thanks. Starting to think might be best to blast down to BLA and start the trip from there. Thanks again.

You gonna eat that?
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 8-20-2008 at 06:44 AM

what kind of truck is that? it looks cool. not a van - not a truck? is it a vruck? or a tran?

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
DeMinimis
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-20-2008 at 07:24 AM

Had a Westy, but saw one of these close up in Baja last year. Decided right then and there that I had to have one. Its a "Sportsmobile.". As you may have guessed they can be found at www.sportsmobile.com

[Edited on 8-20-2008 by DeMinimis]

You gonna eat that?
thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-20-2008 at 08:49 AM
LABay is too civilized....

Quote:
Originally posted by DeMinimis
Thanks. Starting to think might be best to blast down to BLA and start the trip from there. Thanks again.

I say that somewhat tongue in cheek,
but if you are looking for a more adventurous, less populated trip, then stick with the San Felipe-Gonzaga run.

From LABay to Animas to Punta San Francisquito, and even on to El Barril is a great trip, but very good roads, compared to the Gonzaga run. And the cactus forest down there is awesome.

Both great trips, don't let me talk you into, or out of, either one.

And, you owe us a report...
pix too- yours are good!
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 8-20-2008 at 09:46 AM

Soundslike you want to check the coastline of Baja Norte... and Gonzaga Bay is just over 200 miles south of the border.

With your 4WD van and dune buggy, there really isn't anywhere you can't get to if a road is there!

There are roads not on the AAA map or even on the Baja Almanac that lead to the coast... South of Punta Final a graded road to to Puerto Calamajue... Do a search on Nomad for details. The next access to the coast on maps is the highway to Bahia de los Angeles. However, there are at least three points along the coast that you can drive two between Puerto Calamajue and the L.A. Bay area!!

The first I have not been on, but it is clearly seen on the Google Earth satellite images going from the Puerto Calamajue road in Arroyo Calamajue east to the coast several miles south of Puerto Calamajue. A Nomad did write about it some time ago... and Coco warned about drug runners using that remote spot...

The next two I have been to and both are reached from the dry lake bed along the Bahia de los Angeles road: Bahia Guadalupe (Remedios) and Punta Candelero: http://www.vivabaja.com/1202/

Side trip to Bahia Guadalupe and Punta Candelero (GPS map datum set to NAD27 Mexico):

0.0 miles, Leave the L.A. Bay highway and head northwest then northeast across the Laguna Amarga dry lake.

13.5 miles/0.0 miles, Come to Arroyo Mesa de Yubay and 'T' junction of roads: 29°11.27'/ 113°47.15', right turn next two waypoints.

8.6 miles, Road Fork, go left for next waypoint: 29°11.84'/ 113°40.20'

9.8 miles, Bahia Guadalupe (Remedios): 29°12.37'/ 113°39.27'

Continuing north from 'T' junction, above....

Come to dry lake bed of 'Laguna Seca': 29°13.87'/ 113°50.67'

Road turns sharp from north to east: 29°17.50'/ 113°50.51'

Junction with Arroyo Los Candeleros: 29°20.16'/ 113°46.81'

Gulf Coast near Punta Candelero, 19.6 miles from T junction: 29°22.60'/ 113°44.50'

To see web pages/ photos of many spots in Baja that may be of interest, use this index of direct links: http://community-2.webtv.net/vivabaja/tours/

Have a great time!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

DeMinimis
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-20-2008 at 09:52 AM

Thank you very much. I convinced the wife that I need a Lowrance Baja 540C for this trip!!

You gonna eat that?
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 8-20-2008 at 09:58 AM

Please see the page on L.A. Bay area attractions... you could spend several days there! http://community-2.webtv.net/vivabaja/tours/

South of L.A. Bay, is Pancho at Bahia San Rafael... this is one special guy and you will enjoy his hospitality... He (with Zac's help) made some palapas down on the sand for you to camp in.

On south of San Francisquito and El Barril is a beautiful area called Los Corrales. Do a search on Nomad for posts by 'The squarecircle' and 'Sharksbaja' (and others) on Los Corrales... I have not yet been, but the beach looks like heaven!

[Edited on 8-20-2008 by David K]

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 8-20-2008 at 10:10 AM

Here you go... http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=10618#pid1450...

(from 2005/6, photos and maps no longer all there, but lot's of good text... and it was Nomad 'Barry A' who had the details along with 'The squarecircle'...)

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 8-21-2008 at 06:58 AM

You could also try the La Turquesa mine trail. Now that would be a real adventure in a 4 wheel vehicle, just ask the sqcircle. There's only two or three real problem areas to get around and up.
DeMinimis
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-21-2008 at 07:25 AM

Good ideas one and all. Thanks. I'm too busy looking at Google Earth to get any real work done because of you folks!:lol:

You gonna eat that?
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 8-21-2008 at 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DeMinimis
Good ideas one and all. Thanks. I'm too busy looking at Google Earth to get any real work done because of you folks!:lol:

:lol: Yah, I know the feeling!! Have you seen my posts on the Nomad Historic Interest & Literature forum where I Google-Earthed the El Camino Real between the missions? I mean it is amazing to see a 250 year-old trail from space!:light:

John M
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-23-2008 at 03:36 PM
Plan??

DeMinimis - are you intending to park the van and take day trips in the buggy, returning to the van each night for another adventure the next day?

John M
DeMinimis
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-25-2008 at 08:16 AM

We lined up a couple (friends) that will drive support (Sportsmobile w/trailer) come Oct. In Feb, we're planning the little day trips (or more). I can see us setting up at BLA for several days in Feb.

You gonna eat that?
DeMinimis
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-11-2008 at 09:46 AM

Well, here it is nearly four months later. We moved up our Feb trip to 12 days from now. I could not wait until Feb. We're hauling a trailer down to San diego for a buddy this trip. We're leaving the buggy behind. I decided I needed to completely re-do the buggy (suspension, powerplant, transaxles, etc.). Buggy will be in pieces for another five months or so before I finish it up proper. Anyway, Dave and everyone, thanks again for the tips, advice, e-mails, etc. I did get that Baja 540c and hope to install it tonight. The Baja map from PCI (bicimapos) will be here next week. If I thought I was chomping at the bit four months ago, I'm coming out of my skin now. We're gonna beat feet to Gonzaga and start this little Sportsmobile adventure from there. Wondering how 2+ weeks with a wife and two demon spawn (9 and 6 year olds) will go in a van that will get seemingly smaller each day. Man I'm glad Pacifico is reasonable down there.

Oh yea, since I took the above pic of the Sportsmobile, I've added Bilstein remote rezies shocks all-'round (I had to custom fab mounts for them), some Toyo M/Ts, and a lot of engine work (replacing anything that I think could fail down there and keeping the used parts as spares to bring along just in case). Still need to go grab a decent air compressor, a good off-road shovel and a ton of the duct tape of the 21st century...zip ties. I love my zip ties. Those things have gotten me home more than once in Baja.

[Edited on 12-11-2008 by DeMinimis]

You gonna eat that?
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 12-11-2008 at 09:56 AM

You will have fun... just don't be stuck to a timeline schedule... If you find a cool beach or interesting mine or beautiful canyon... then don't rush it, you will have found that 'Baja Feeling' that we go there for... Baja Angel says it is 'magic' down there...

I am sure you have researched everything well, and printed out road logs, maps, posts from Nomad that sounded interesting to you...

Naturally, we expect a nice detailed trip report when you return!:yes:

Have a great time!

[Edited on 12-11-2008 by David K]

DeMinimis
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-11-2008 at 10:06 AM

A trip report will be sure to follow. Funny thing, I've got this general idea in my head, but I'm about the least prepared (route, camping sites, grub, etc.) that I've ever been this trip. Don't know what it is. Perhaps it has something to do with that old adage, "The best laid plans..." As you know, this whole Mexicali vs TJ crossing thing has me all spun out and for no reason. Probably go with what I know and cross at TJ and trun left to Gonazga as you and most suggest. Banging down the road from the north to Gonzaga is really my sorta thing, but on the first day, with what will be tired kids and La Bruja riding shotgun, might be a bit much for day 1 (which will really be day 3 for us). Christmas eve parked close to the blue toilets at the border parking lot it most likely shall be.

You gonna eat that?
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.