BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Photo trip report- How We Spent our Summer Vacation - June 17 - Aug. 17 '08
Paulina
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-24-2008 at 11:38 PM
Photo trip report- How We Spent our Summer Vacation - June 17 - Aug. 17 '08

Dern and I spent two months in Baja this summer. I've been fussing with photos and trying to sort out a trip report in my brain for the past week since we've been back. It was a fun filled, work filled, busy trip that went by way too quickly.

I'll start from the beginning, we left SLO headed for the house in Punta Banda after making a quick stop at our favorite toy stores, Squid Co. and West Marine. No problems with our visas at the San Ysidro border, nothing to declare, our Llave card still worked at the toll booths, we were on our way.

We got to Maneadero to find no Diesel fuel. We returned to the rip off station before the La Buff turn off and secured a spot in line where we waited 30 min. for our turn at the pumps. They were down to their last 100 liters when we pulled up to fill up.

A quick stop at El Recreo for dinner, then to Dern's favorite El Indio for road sodas, then on to Sharkeys to check in with Dennis.

We unpacked and repacked the truck that night, and headed for San Felipe the next morning.

At the turn off from Hwy 3 at El Chinero, we stopped at the military check point. The guys were in good spirits and invited us to join them for a cool slice of sandia. It was a nice break.

We headed into town and checked into El Capitan where we were meeting friends to go on a long range fishing trip on the Andrea Lynn. This was my first trip of this kind and would do it again in a heart beat. In fact, another trip is already scheduled for next summer with the same group of guys.

I hadn't been in San Felipe for over 25 years. I was glad to see my old friend Club Bar Miramar was still there.

Our guide "Chorty" was the best ever. Yes, we're towing in our buddy Todd in this shot.

Chorty quickly warmed up to our friend Ava and had her stapped to the engine in no time. She rode there for the remainder of our trip, until I found her swimming in the bait tank towards the end of the trip.

Ava got the looks, but we got the fish.

On our way home from San Felipe we stopped at the military checkpoint to return the favor of the sandia by giving them some Yellowtail filets for their dinner.

We donated our fish to Agua Viva in Cantu/Maneadero. Thanks to our friends Todd and Pat for pitching in some of their catch as well. They could have used more, as they feed over 150 mouths a day. Next year we'll fish harder!

After three days of sleeping in, trying to make up for lost sleep on the Andrea Lynn,

...and driving back and forth to Arjonas for spare motor parts that we had on order, we packed up again, this time heading for Bahia.

I never, ever, ever will get tired of this view:

I just have to get used to the power lines.

Our first week was spent moving out the old and moving in with the new.

Dern is returning mid Sept. to demolish the old decks, and begin new construction.

That first week was all business, getting the vast majority of our chores over with so we could get on with our summer-selves.

My favorite part of the day is around 5am. It's so cool then (temp wise, mid 80s). The first seagull starts fussing around 5:30. The wind is blowing slightly from the water, the sun is still sleeping behind the mountain. I love it.

I would lie there in bed, up on the deck and hear our neighbors walking by on their morning 5:30 walk. I kept thinking to myself, "I'll get up and surprise them with my walking shoes on tomorrow morning." It never happened.

Mary Ann ended up back at her place after car problems in Catavina. She and her dog Dedo would walk by in the mornings, sometimes stopping in for a visit.

Some mornings we took the panga out.

We got our fare share of fishing on the Andrea Lynn so we weren't jonesing to get out every day. We'd catch dinner and let the rest go.

One of the lucky ones:

Sometimes we'd visit Don Juan cove for a quick breakfast of fresh oysters.

On our way in the cove one day we came across a bottlenosed dolphin, looking after his buddy. I'll post more photos of this pair on another thread.

After fishing off of Piojo one morning, we headed for Smith Island to check out the Sperm Whale that was on the beach. On our way we spotted a Finback Whale so we stopped to take a look.

We were treated to quite a show, a lunch date of sorts.

When the whale moved on, the inflatable motored over and long story short, I reconnected with an old college friend from the early 1980's marine biology days in Bahia. Baja is a small world.

We motored over to the Sperm Whale. We first saw it when the Andrea Lynn had come into the bay a few weeks earlier, although I didn't take photos of it at that time.

It was still pretty "fresh", the rocks were quite slippery with whale goo.

I was hoping to find some teeth, but the "Island People" had beat everyone to them.

There were quite a few Whale Sharks in the bay. Most of them were in the south end, but there were a couple of days where there were at least two or three of them in front of town.

We visited with the Whale Sharks almost every day we took the panga out.

Pablo's daughter Nieves and I get a closer look:

Dern has his turn:

We would usually end our afternoons on the water by landing in front of Casa Diaz, pulling the panga up on the beach.

Dern would run in for a cold six pack of TKT and a bag of ice while I hung out with our Pelican friends.

After an easy beach retrieve we would clean up the boat, clean the fish and maybe take a siesta if we had time before heading in to town.

"Office hours" at Casa Diaz are around 4pm, give or take. We'd quad into town with Ava to meet the other office staff to lie about fishing, and talk about what ever else that should happen to cross the patio. It's how we keep up on the Coconut Telegraph.

We took a break to head over to the Pacific side to cool down a bit as well as to hit up the ATM in Guerrero Negro and buy another Rotoplas while we're there.

We stayed overnight at the Malarimo. Our dinner in their restaurant cost more than our hotel room. It didn't matter, the food was good, there was wireless internet in the bar, and the shower felt wonderful.

Our new Rotoplas ended up not fitting into the back of the truck, so we had to loosen the back half of the camper shell in order to shove it in for the ride back to Bahia.

We stopped at La Casita in Jesus Maria for Tortas to go.
Yum-o!

We returned to Bahia in time for the summer fiesta, soft bol, horse races, rodeo, dances, greased pole and pig wrestling. We only made it to the races and the rodeo. See my other posts in the trip reports section for photos.

Dern got a bad ear infection. He refused to go to the doctor until we returned from G.N. We drove into the clinic to find the doctor m.i.a. With the help of the new police in town, ( I jumped in his truck and he and I went searching), we tracked the doctor and his assistant down at Guillermo's. Dern was given a huge shot. The assistant only had to say, "Dude" to know where that shot was headed. He got a weeks worth of pain meds and 2 weeks worth of antibiotics for $20.00. The doctor looked so young that we named him Dougie Houser.

(Center with the sunglasses on)

We had dinner many times at Pablo's house as well as with our neighbor Phyllis and Jim. Mia and Tony had us over for dinner one fun night with the Ocana family.

We also visited with the ugliest rooster in town, who happens to live at the community market. We were told he's a "Churkey", a cross between a chicken and turkey. He hasn't any feathers on his neck, breast or on his meaty drumsticks. Poor guy.

No one had to eat crow this trip, although we were prepared should the need arise:

There were days that we hung out on Paradise Island:

And wrestled for 2 days with the old mining train turn table as we cleaned out the cactus garden. That monster is heavy.

The weather for the most part was bearable. The nights were in the mid 80s. We only took the ice chest to bed with us one night. The hottest it got was 110 in the shade. Counting falling stars is a fun way to fall asleep. The lightning show over the islands at night was non stop on some nights. We had rain, thunder and lightning too. One night the lightning felt so close that the hair on our arms felt like it was standing on end. That night we decided to move our bed down, off of the deck.

The sunsets were wonderful. One night in particular the sky was three colors; bright blue, purple and pink. Jimmy Buffett was playing a live concert on our satellite radio. Dern mixed two c-cktails that we took with us down to the water, which was 94 degrees. We waded in, enjoying our drinks, the sky, the music when out towards Horsehead Island a whale breached. Not only once but three times!

We saw it all.

What more could one ask for to end a perfect evening?

Dern tried to get Mary Ann's other car working but couldn't. We ended up towing her Trooper back to her garage from town. We fashioned a tire bumper on the front of our truck to gently push her Trooper and Jeep back into her garage for safe keeping.

She and her crew kept us company in the back seat of our truck on our way back to Punta Banda on Aug. 8th.

We caravaned up with Phyllis and Jim. Kevin arrived the next day to pick up Mary Ann. Jim and Phyllis stayed with us for the weekend before they headed north.

Dern spent the rest of the week finishing the wood windows on the house, visiting with our neighbors, unpacking and re-packing in preparation for heading back stateside.

We cleaned fish for the Punta Banda Yacht Club's fishing derby. That was a fun day.

On our last day in Baja we helped judge the chili cookoff at Gordo's in La Buff. Then it was time to head back to the states.

As always, it was too fast, most of my tan washed off in the shower, and I'm homesick for Baja already.

P<*)))>{

[Edited on 25-8-2008 by Paulina]

\"Well behaved women rarely make history.\" Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-25-2008 at 01:12 AM

Nice trip report(s)! :dudette:

Thanks! :cool:

MAGA
Making Attorneys Get Attorneys

Keri
Super Nomad

Mood: muy contento

[*] posted on 8-25-2008 at 06:41 AM
Great trip report

Loved it sometime I want to try swimming with the whale sharks looks like a lot of fun. You got some great photos . I think Marv is looking for some of the sharks for his calendar this year. Glad you guys had such a great time and thanks for sharing it with us,k:yes::yes:

http://www.pyramidresort.com
011521-646-119-9445
Ken Bondy
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Mellow

[*] posted on 8-25-2008 at 06:56 AM

What a fantastic report!! I scrolled through it several times, savored every photo and every word. I am living vicariously through you guys Paulina y Dern. Thanks sooo much for taking the time to put this together. ++Ken++

PS: I was on the Andrea Lynn for my white shark trip to Isla Guadalupe last year (out of Ensenada). Funky old boat, nice crew.
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 8-25-2008 at 07:03 AM

Paulina, What an adventure!!:bounce:Thanks.
Bajalover
Nomad

Mood: Strongly - Missing Baja

[*] posted on 8-25-2008 at 07:08 AM

Paulina, ONE AWESOME trip. Wow. Can't beleive the power lines. Last time I visited BOLA they were putting up the metal sails monument at the cross roads.
Seeing your report makes me want to can everything I'm doing and head to Baja.
Wow!!!

Sometimes you really do question; why you are and where you are.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 8-25-2008 at 07:10 AM

Paulina, you get an A+++ for that trip report!!

Thanks for taking us Nomads along!!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

baja-spirit
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-25-2008 at 07:11 AM

Thanks for sharing. Where was the picture of you sitting in the rock circle at? I haven't seen that before. Your pictures make me anxious to go. But have to wait until the middle of Sept... thank you so much for taking the time to share your trip with us....
Bajagypsy
Super Nomad

Mood: Living the dream

[*] posted on 8-25-2008 at 11:36 AM

looks like you had a wonderful time, I'm counting the days till we can get back. Loved the whale shark pictures, we got to snorkle with them last year.

Don't you hate it when your tan washes off, I always tell Mr. Gypsy, I'm not having a shower, till I'm back in Baja!!:lol:

Yakfishing
Junior Nomad

Mood: Onshore wishing I was offshore

[*] posted on 8-25-2008 at 03:15 PM

Paulina,
WOW - great write up.
Thanks for taking the time to document it all and share it with us.

When are you headed back?
El Camote
Senior Nomad

Mood: y Blues

[*] posted on 8-25-2008 at 09:07 PM

Paulina, wonderful! Just like being there. I just showed Charlie the whaleshark pics before he went to sleep - I think he's going to dream about them.

Knowledge is good. - Emil Faber
Paulina
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-25-2008 at 10:13 PM

Baja-spirit, that was over on the Pacific side.

Yak- I most likely won't be back to Bahia until New Years, but Dern is heading back in a couple of weeks.

El Camote, give that big boy a big whale shark hug from me. I bet he'd LOVE to see one in person...

Thank you for all the kind replies, they are appreciated.

P<*)))>{

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 8-26-2008 at 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by baja-spirit
Thanks for sharing. Where was the picture of you sitting in the rock circle at? I haven't seen that before. Your pictures make me anxious to go. But have to wait until the middle of Sept... thank you so much for taking the time to share your trip with us....

Last year, Cardon posted several photos, a map and directions of/to The Arch at 'The Wall', look here: http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=16663

[Edited on 8-26-2008 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Paulina
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-26-2008 at 12:46 PM

From the link David provided:

Quote:
Originally posted by oladulce
...You know, pot smokers always seem to find the best arrowheads and sharks teeth because they can stare at the ground for hours. That might be a clue to this artisan(s) also !

Upon closer inspection of this oven at The Wall, we found exactly what oladulce was talking about to be true.

Arrowhead points and scraps were littered on the oven rocks, obviously collected by someone with the ability to stare at the ground for hours...

P<*)))>{

vivaloha
Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 8-26-2008 at 02:45 PM

Ahhh...your text and photos just took us right back to the source...
Its a lifestyle down there and you guys were living it up!
Thanks so much for sharing your trip and photos with all of us!

Much Aloha to you and th Dern Man!

Vivaloha

Baja California can be a heaven or hell experience - often the determining factor is your AWARENESS in the moment.
Natalie Ann
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-26-2008 at 02:50 PM

Brava!!! Excellent trip report, Paulina.

Nena

Be yourself, everyone else is already taken.
.....Oscar Wilde
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 8-26-2008 at 02:54 PM

Enjoyed this very much ----thanks.

Diane

tripledigitken
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-26-2008 at 03:13 PM

Great report and photos, especially the crow on the fork.:lol::lol::lol:

Ken
Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-26-2008 at 04:38 PM

You obviously know how to make the most of Baja...my type of trip.

Zac

aha baja
Nomad

Mood: wherever you go, there you are...

lol.gif posted on 8-26-2008 at 09:46 PM

Hola PyD Great trip photos! I recognise the ravens head on a fork! Nice to know it found a new home. Maybe you should name your digs " Racho de la Cabeza Raven":lol:Looks like the place is really begining to shape up.Saw the guy in the doorway of the old "casa con llantes" Quen es. Also really liked the new "floaty toy" youv'e aquired! Oysters, muy delicioso! Call you soon... still have your Mexican Bird Of Paradice I need to drop by. Hasta out.........
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.