Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: 5 Things to Pack for a Trailer-boat Trip
ZThomas
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-12-2008 at 11:24 PM
5 Things to Pack for a Trailer-boat Trip

While researching the book, I learned to pack a number of unusual, Baja-specific things you might not think of on a first trailer-boat trip. Here's a few of them. Anybody else have neat little things that make a DIY fishing trip easier?

1. A 25- or 50-foot garden hose. For whatever reason, Mexicans love to cut the male ends off their garden hoses. My mother, who gets all peeed off every time she discovers that the guy who waters the plants at their place south of Mulege has cut the end off another one of her hoses, says it's like circumcision: in Baja, it's customary to circumcise a new garden hose just like you'd circumcise a new baby boy.
At any rate, it's true that the majority of garden hoses in Baja are "circumcised," which means you can't screw them into the flushing port on your outboard -- or screw a flushing muff onto them. So take your own hose to flush your engine. Alternatively -- or in addition -- you can take a clamp-on male hose end. They cost like $1 at the hardware store, and they clamp down onto a cut hose end with a couple of screws.

2. A long extension cord and a battery charger. A battery charger is a no-brainer, but it's easy to forget the extension cord. If you kill your boat (or truck) batteries -- and it does happen, with bait pumps or interior lights accidentally left on, shorts, malfunctioning alternators, etc. -- you can just run an extension cord from a motel-room outlet out to your rig in the parking lot and recharge it overnight.

3. Spare tie-downs. Whether you use a single strap over the whole stern or a pair of transom tie-downs, you're not going to find a replacement in Baja -- and it's near impossible to jerry-rig a suitable replacement. Even if you have strong enough rope or webbing, you can't get it tight enough without a camming buckle. I've had mine stolen once, and I've also lost one transom tie down that just loosened up after too many miles of washboard and fell off. So take an extra or two. They're relatively cheap, and towing your boat in Baja -- especially on dirt -- without good tie-downs just isn't an option.

4. Work clothes and gloves. Shorts and flip-flops just aren't suitable for changing a trailer tire beside Highway 1. Hopefully, you won't use them the whole trip, but throw in a pair of jeans or Carhartts, real shoes and socks, and leather work gloves right beside your tool kit and jack. Changing a tire or replacing a hub sucks regardless, but it's a lot more pleasant when you're not scuffling around in the thorns and broken glass and frying-pan-hot dirt bare-handed in shorts.

5. A pocket tape recorder. I kept a tape recorder beside me on the seat the whole time I was researching the book, but I found I was using for much more than just book-related information. Tape recorders are great for remembering all those things you think of while you're driving but can't write down -- stuff you want to pack next trip, where that good taco stand is San Quintin that you never see until you're past it, how many stop signs you go through in Ensenada before you turn left at the strip joint to get back to Highway 1, what the name is of the new hotel in Guerrero Negro you want to ask about when you get home, etc., etc.

Baja-specific tackle, hand-picked by the author
of The Angler\'s Guide to Trailer-Boating Baja
www.TranspeninsularOutfitters.com
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-12-2008 at 11:52 PM

Bajajudy compiled this list a couple of years ago. It might be helpful.

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=9392
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 9-13-2008 at 08:56 AM

Without going through the long post that Joe linked, I've always felt that something comfortable/insulative to lie on while you work on your back under a vehicle and a basic means of creating shade were right up there in importance. We carry one of those basic Costco 7 foot umbrellas and a moving blanket.

For the trailer, nothing is more important than spare bearing assemblies and the means to replace them. Tires are a given.

For the boat, spare bait, bilge pumps can sometimes be hard to find. Bring an extra each............nothing worse than not being able to fish live bait when that's all they want.

vacaenbaja
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-13-2008 at 09:35 AM

I carry one complete hub assembly. If you ever loose a bearing, no messy repacking required. Just slip off the messy old hub and slide in the new one,and deal with the fragged assembly later in a safer location. It is all about staying off the middle/ side of Mex one. Very dangerous. Just like when you get a flat. Never change it from the street side of the road. If possible pull over ACROSS to the other side of the road so that the side with the flat is on the inside away from traffic. Of course this applies only on narrow shoulder situations.
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-13-2008 at 11:43 AM
Duct Tape

As Karl Malden used to say "Never leave home without it".

I just patched my waders in alaska with it and it held for a month.

It's many uses are legendary.
Natalie Ann
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-13-2008 at 12:03 PM

Duct tape.... my five year old amiga recently made a wallet out of it.;D

nena

Be yourself, everyone else is already taken.
.....Oscar Wilde
ZThomas
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-13-2008 at 04:45 PM

Good thinkin' on the pad to lie on and some kind of portable shade for changing tires, etc. Both of those are going in before my next trip.

I lost a bait pump once before I started carrying a spare and managed to finish out the trip by taking the spray nozzle off my washdown hose, and tying an 8-oz. torpedo sinker to the end of the hose to hold down on the bottom of the tank. Worked fine for macks and caballitos--probably wouldn't for sardinas.

ZT

Baja-specific tackle, hand-picked by the author
of The Angler\'s Guide to Trailer-Boating Baja
www.TranspeninsularOutfitters.com
BornFisher
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-14-2008 at 05:47 PM

Power pack. Best $60 I ever spent.
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 9-14-2008 at 08:21 PM

Three things you do not mention, but I am sure you had with you.

1. A sense of humor

2. Lots of patience

3. A willingness to accept repairs and solutions that are ourside the proverbial box.

Our friend is still driving in San Diego with an oil pan repaired with epoxy in Bahia Asuncion.

Love the tape recorder idea to go along with a camera

Diane

baitcast
Super Nomad

Mood: good

[*] posted on 9-15-2008 at 07:20 AM

I lost track of the number of trailers with a nice rig just setting there along the road with a obvious bearing failure,those things cannot be treated to kindly,number one on my list.
Rob
And of course duct tape and WD 40 :lol:
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 9-15-2008 at 10:49 AM

WD-40 really only has one good use..........displacing moisture, especially in electric applications. For freeing rusted parts or light surface lubrication, there are many better options. I carry LPS or Boe-shield for lubrication and usually Kroil as a penetrating oil.

I really like Boe-shield as a preventative spray on exterior bolts. Goes on as a liquid and dries like a waxy substance that waterproofs. LPS seems to stay liquid and can be rinsed off, but is a better penetrant than Boe. Kroil is the king of the penetrants, by most accounts.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.