BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  ..  11
Author: Subject: Care to give Baja Nomad a little something?
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 9-24-2008 at 05:36 PM
Care to give Baja Nomad a little something?

Nomads... the mailing address if anyone would wish to give a gratuity (tip) to Baja Nomad to help him keep this site on the Internet... if you find the inforamation to be valuable... a little reward for his efforts... it is right here: http://www.bajanomad.com/contact.htm

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 9-24-2008 at 05:38 PM

How about we ( meaning you) organize a fundraising party!

"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." J. A. Shedd.

A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it. – Albert Einstein

"Life's a Beach... and then you Fly!" Fishbuck

Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-24-2008 at 05:45 PM

Curious;
Does Doug need/want the funds ?
Or is this just a thought of yours, DK ?

But a fundraising party sounds good - go for it !
And post pictures ! :lol::lol::lol:
BajaNuts
Super Nomad

Mood: no worry, no hurry....it's all good!

[*] posted on 9-24-2008 at 06:06 PM

I'm wondering if the tienda will be restocked at any time in the future, especially the shirts. I'd love to get one, only been a member since May '08. I'd also like to get a 2009 calender (or 3), but I understand it's hard to sell calenders cuz if you don't sell them.....what do ya do with the leftovers???
I also have experience with etched glassware.....like.........cerveza mugs or margharita glasses?!?!?!?! I can design and facilitate production of glassware for Tienda BN if there is any interest?
BajaNutsAnn
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 9-24-2008 at 07:51 PM

I like the idea of creative fundraising and I would be happy to help baja nomads remain on-line...what about something like a silent auction where people who either make things, have something to donate, or provide a service could contribute items to be auctioned.....maybe through this site....or at the fundraising party or both....I know lots of us are artists and have something to contribute...maybe make it an annual event...or how bout a fishing tournament?

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-24-2008 at 08:02 PM

I think this is a great idea. How about we do it in Asuncion the first or second week of November?

Quote:
Originally posted by shari
I like the idea of creative fundraising and I would be happy to help baja nomads remain on-line...what about something like a silent auction where people who either make things, have something to donate, or provide a service could contribute items to be auctioned.....maybe through this site....or at the fundraising party or both....I know lots of us are artists and have something to contribute...maybe make it an annual event...or how bout a fishing tournament?

BajaNuts
Super Nomad

Mood: no worry, no hurry....it's all good!

[*] posted on 9-24-2008 at 08:03 PM

I'm willing to contrubute to the longterm financial viability of the website, ....and I stand by my offer for glassware, but I'm still not sure if financial support is desired or required.

As a junior, I'm not up on all the ins-and-outs of the forum, but I'd like to know if we're getting all excited for nothing.

Does this have anything to do with recent posts about yearly subscription fees?
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 9-24-2008 at 08:14 PM

I have an idea...........how about persons who continually promote their Mexico related businesses on Nomads actually pay for advertising on the site?

Why expend all those man-hours organizing a fundraiser or auction and dealing with the logistics?

If you gain financial income from promoting your business on Nomads..........then take some of that money and actually pay for advertising here.

I don't think this is a radical new model I'm talking about...............

Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-24-2008 at 08:21 PM

Reward? Hell, are we not the reason his forum flew? I want a kick-back.

DON\'T SQUINT! Give yer eyes a break!
Try holding down [control] key and toggle the [+ and -] keys

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
toneart
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Skeptical

[*] posted on 9-24-2008 at 08:32 PM

I would be open to the idea if it were necessary. Since Hose A left I see very little support from Doug. All I have seen is discriminatory deletions from solid contributors whereas offensive newbies' posts are allowed to stand.

I am sure he is busy because the moderator tasks have fallen back on him. But I would need to see a policy statement from him as to his philosophy for the board going forward.

I have been left with the impression (which I can't substantiate) that Doug's philosophy runs along political biases. If this is not true, let him refute it. I would be happy to be wrong in this respect and would publicly declare that I was wrong.

I love and support differences of opinion, but not civil rudeness in the form of attacks and name calling. I admit I am sensitive when it comes to personal issues and what I consider unjust.

As for now, I lurk and post where I see I can contribute responsibly to Nomad's needs as requested. I have made many friends and have received many U2Us of support during my defenses of the Mulege flood situation when my posts were rudely flamed. I have emails of those I would like to stay in touch with. By the way, I have been surprised by the bipartisan friendships that have been extended to me. I also miss the humor and banter among friends. I have not lost my sense of humor but am not willing to share it much anymore here. It used to be play. It used to be fun.

So, to sum it up: I would be happy to financially support the BajaNomad website because I think it is a valuable resource. However, I do have a life, thank you, and don't really need to post here if it continues to feel hostile to me personally; hostile by non-support from Doug, and hostile from flaming trolls.

I am being objective, polite and non-partisan, and I expect the same if I am to contribute financially.

Otherwise, I will continue as a reluctant Nomad and help where I can, unless I am banned. If that happens, well, I am not asking for it. I am not a martyr. You all can be the judge.

Best case scenario is that I am made to feel welcome by management and will happily support this valuable Baja information exchange.

Thank you for considering my plea.
Tony

dao45
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-24-2008 at 08:32 PM

I would be happy to donate a nice piece of silver jewelry with stones for this project
fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 9-24-2008 at 08:40 PM

I will donate 1 nights camping on the beautifuls shores of Campo Fishbuck to the auction. Okay maybe 2 nights.:yes:

"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." J. A. Shedd.

shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 9-24-2008 at 09:34 PM

Why expend man(woman)hours organizing something...well...cause it will be FUN....a PARTY...and we might get some nifty stuff too and help make Nomadlandia a better place....I will also pay to advertise if that is what it takes but like the idea of friendly nomad spirit creative funding too.
Come to think of it...even thought I'd end up doing alot of dishes(as usual), it would be really fun to host a nomad party here seeing as quite a few will be here already....we can do our own little thing for doug....but I really like the idea of auctioning off stuff Nomads make...put me down for donating a hand carved yellowtail necklace and lobster dinner for 2!! A raffle with lots of prizes would be cool too...like we have here on Mothers Day....every woman got a prize!

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-24-2008 at 10:06 PM

Ok then, can we at least know why David, you think this place may go away?

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
dao45
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-24-2008 at 10:08 PM

Hey Fish buck would that include Pacifico?
Sheri you have seen what I do.I would also be open donating a number of not so expensive items in silver with stone so everyone had a chance to win something.Within limits of course no more than 10 or 20 pieces
tripledigitken
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-24-2008 at 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Hook
I have an idea...........how about persons who continually promote their Mexico related businesses on Nomads actually pay for advertising on the site?

Why expend all those man-hours organizing a fundraiser or auction and dealing with the logistics?

If you gain financial income from promoting your business on Nomads..........then take some of that money and actually pay for advertising here.

What he said!
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-24-2008 at 10:14 PM

Are you saying we should shower Doug with silver and precious stones. No? Then are you suggesting we should buy stuff and give the earned profits or income to Doug?

Hoo...weee! We'll I guess he's got some real loyal folks here. Something fishy about all this!:lol:

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 9-24-2008 at 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by tripledigitken
Quote:
Originally posted by Hook

What he said!

When Fishbuck Airways finally makes a peso I'd be glad to pay for all the free advertising I get. Under my current bussiness model it should only take 10-20 years to turn a profit.

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 9-24-2008 at 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Sharksbaja
Ok then, can we at least know why David, you think this place may go away?

Hi Corky,

Doug is human, too... and he gets a ton of grief over lack of moderation or too much moderation... really a no win scenario.

Amigos de Baja finally had enough of playing babysitter as they were spending their personal fun time moderating... When the site crashed without warning, they elected to not fix it. Nomad, in this format, has been here since 2002 and most of the posts are still here to read from back then...

Think of it as a 'thank you'... 'a tip' for good service. This is a free service that really does cost something to have. Sure Doug makes some money with Google ads (if you guys click on them for a quick look), the banner ad from BajaBound, and if you buy stuff from the Tienda Baja Nomad... But that really isn't a lot considering how thousands of people use and enjoy this site... and ow much energy Doug invests here, for us.

Here is part of my reply to a u2u I recieved from a Nomad who asked if something 'bad' was happening and thought a web site didn't cost anything:

Nothing bad is going on... don't worry... It does cost money to run a site on the Internet and it takes man hours to moderate it, too... Doug makes some money from Google when you click on the Google ads... as well as some from BajaBound.com for their banner ad. It would help if people all used those features or bought stuff from Tienda Baja Nomad. If not, but Nomads still want to help... a donation or contribution is appreciated... Think of it as a thank you to Doug for keeping this great site on line for so many of us to enjoy 24/7!

David

To donate/ contribute/ tip: http://www.bajanomad.com/contact.htm

(PS since I know it will get asked, the answer is yes... I have donated to the site)

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 9-24-2008 at 11:24 PM

I'm trying to figure out how much someone would bid for a lobster dinner they might have to drive a minimum of 700 miles, ONE WAY, to collect?

Let's see, the fuel, the lodging there, on the way down and back, the tourist card, the insurance...........carry the 2, divide by 2 dinners...........

You think the bidding would be fast and furious? I'm thinking the Charthouse on my nickel and a 100.00 donation to Doug would be cheaper and more effective.

You see, the problem with this FUN little idea of an auction is that when it is done and Doug gets the proceeds, the expenses of Nomads continue. So, now we organize another one?.........and another? What if future ones do poorly? The expenses still continue.

Donations trickling in here and there when DavidK decides to request it? PULLLEEAAZZE!!!! It's an honorable thing he's doing, but...............

I like the idea of businesses supporting Nomads on a predictable basis with a predictable amount.

Nomads like to support businesses they hear good things about here, right?

San Ignacio B & B, B. A. B & B, all of Graham's books, Baja Cactus Motel, FDT's tours, etc. Problem is; why shouldn't Doug reap some reward for likely increasing sales for these businesses?

How about a BUSINESS membership to Nomads that has an annual fee? Business members are then allowed to promote their services on the boards at will. Heck, some already do, so it's not like it would be a radical difference. :o

Or maybe create a business directory board where people can pose questions to the owners, make reservations, etc. They can do logos, publish coupons, whatever. Declare the regular boards off limits to business owner's promoting their OWN businesses. Regular members comments and recommendations about businesses would be allowed.

I've seen this model work on other boards....why not here? It's not really re-inventing the wheel.

[Edited on 9-25-2008 by Hook]

Pages:  1    3  ..  11

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.