Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Chile Rellenos
Carol
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-11-2008 at 06:40 PM
Chile Rellenos

Hi everyone,

Looking for your opinion on best place to get Chile Rellenos?

I like my Chile Rellenos with puffy batter and with the green pepper a wee bit crisp.
danaeb
Senior Nomad

Mood: groovy

[*] posted on 10-11-2008 at 06:44 PM

In the world???? :o

Experience enables you to recognize a mistake every time you repeat it.
tjBill
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-11-2008 at 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by danaeb
In the world???? :o

I think she means Kelowna, Canada. :bounce:
sd
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-11-2008 at 07:07 PM

Palomar Hotel in Santiago, BCS.
azvazquez
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-11-2008 at 08:18 PM

Papa Fernandez, Gonzaga Bay!
Woooosh
Banned

Mood: Luminescent Waves at Rosarito Beach

[*] posted on 10-11-2008 at 09:18 PM

Our house when my mother in law is in town. The "puffy" batter is egg white meringe that is traditionally pan fried.

\"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing\"
1961- JFK to Canadian parliament (Edmund Burke)
thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

Mood: muy amable

[*] posted on 10-12-2008 at 11:15 AM
Our house- for sure

They are Teresa's specialty,

She made 15 for a dinner party this week,
Went to five stores before she found peppers that met her approval.

The meringue has to be just so, then dipped and quickly deep fried, and then the grease patted off with paper towels.

The relleno is the ultimate test for trying out a new restaurant.

Order one, and you will immediately know just how good the place is- and most places do not measure up.

For starters, most places use canned peppers, and it is all downhill from there!
Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 10-12-2008 at 11:44 AM

I definitively agree that the make-or-break meal at a restaurant are the chiles rellenos. I can give you dozens of places where not to order them, including the La Fonda restaurant. My wife sees them on a menu and always wants to order them. I was not paying attention to the restaurant name, but it was in Vizcaino right off Mex 1. I just know that next time there that's what we will order...the best rellenos in Baja

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-12-2008 at 12:32 PM

OK,
I really love the rellanos with the light puffy outside and slightly crisp chile, but John prefers the less puffy outside and softer chile.

So is there anyone else who prefers them the John likes them, or am I correct that my preference is the correct one. :lol::lol:

(When in Oregon we also have the same disagreement over fish and chips. )

One thing we both agree upon about the rellenos is we dislike it when they are smothered with sauce.

Hope to hear more suggestions about restaurants.

Diane

Woooosh
Banned

[*] posted on 10-12-2008 at 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by thebajarunner

The meringue has to be just so, then dipped and quickly deep fried, and then the grease patted off with paper towels.

Order one, and you will immediately know just how good the place is- and most places do not measure up.

For starters, most places use canned peppers, and it is all downhill from there!

ahh. The mexican restaurant "litmus" test. I agree that you can tell a good Mexican restaurant by their chile rellenos- some would say by their margaritas- but I'm open to a double test.

I do the same with Calamari Fritti at Italian restaurants and Hot and Sour Soup at Chinese joints. Sometimes getting the hard menu items right is easy and they screw up the simple ones.

Back to Chiles Rellenos- the difference between crispy and soft rellenos can be in the quality of the meringue. If there is any tiny bit of yolk at all in the egg white meringue it will soak up the frying fat and never get crispy. Stiill good (even more flavor I guess) but not crispy or fluffy anymore.

[Edited on 10-12-2008 by Woooosh]

\"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing\"
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 10-12-2008 at 03:44 PM

I'm NOT a chile relleno fan but I LOVE the ones they have here at Moiras Taco stand and they are only 15 pesos and delicioso..not too hot...just straight goods...chile relleno with queso on a tortilla that you put all the fixins on. That way, I can test just one and not have to order a whole order like a restaurant....she also has great tongue tacos.

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
Woooosh
Banned

[*] posted on 10-12-2008 at 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by shari
I'm NOT a chile relleno fan but I LOVE the ones they have here at Moiras Taco stand and they are only 15 pesos and delicioso..not too hot...just straight goods...chile relleno with queso on a tortilla that you put all the fixins on. That way, I can test just one and not have to order a whole order like a restaurant....she also has great tongue tacos.

Nice appetizer! I like chiles relleno burritos- but only from the San Diego surf taco shop variety (anything with a "to's" on the end). They add rice, beans and cheese- It's a whole meal in a flour wrapper.

Btw- I think there is something uniquely special about the Carne Asada burritos from those same San Diego taco shops- that doesn't exist anywhere else. It's the softness of the cubed beef and generosity of the guacamole. When I lived in the mountains of colorado in the 80's I used to "charge" my SoCal friends 10 frozen carne asada burriotos and a couple KROC music casette tapes to crash on my floor during ski season.

daveB
Nomad

Mood: wondering about Nomads!

[*] posted on 10-12-2008 at 08:39 PM

Restaurant La Mosca, on the Bahia Tenacatita, Jalisco, served beside pot beans and cold beer, one afternoon every two weeks or so during the harsh Costalegra winter season! Hungary norteamericanos, and others, always swarm to La Mosca like flies when summoned by one of the pretty cooks the day before. Its a Happening!

Second choice is Rafi's house in Bucerias, by invitation only. That's the only reason its second...
Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-12-2008 at 08:44 PM

Chile Rellenos ~~~ I have only been served one I couldn't eat (at Eqapales).... And many more I shouldn't have.
They are absolutely the bench mark of a restaurant. There is a place in La Paz, I think it's the El Sombero or something like that. They have , maybe 10 different rellenos on the menu and the few I tried were really good. But last Friday, before this post started a vendor came by and had beef rellenos. "rez", (sp) I said, that's not a chile relleno. Well he had only two beef rellenos left so I took them and ordered more real rellenos . Yesterday I got my chile relleno con caso fresco. Now these are not fresh rellenos and I did have to roll them in paper towels and reheat them BUT they were good and probably would have been high on the bench mark if fresh & hot. Toasted and skinned Anaheim/California chiles, most seeds removed and stuffed with cheese and lightly batter. Simple and good. IMHO... anything more is an omolet. I try to make them and the battter just doesn't want to stick. HELP
TonyC
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-13-2008 at 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by thebajarunner

WHERE? Would make the drive, if she's within a couple of hours from Vallejo. Also heading down to Baja Norte in a couple of weeks, if she's on the way down.
Sallysouth
Super Nomad

Mood: missing Baja...

[*] posted on 10-13-2008 at 10:38 AM

Russ, After you stuff the chiles with queso, gently roll them in flour, then dip in soft peaked eggs whites.The flour helps the batter to adhere to the chile!

Happiness is just a Baja memory away...
Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-13-2008 at 11:55 AM

Sallysouth, Thanks I tried that and corn starch. Maybe I need to play with the temp of the oil some? Oh, something else I've read in many recipes is to fold the egg yolks back into the whites before you dip the chiles. I'll keep trying.
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 10-13-2008 at 12:26 PM

They're great! If you can just keep 'em from soaking-up too much grease/oil.:bounce:
Sallysouth
Super Nomad

Mood: missing Baja...

[*] posted on 10-13-2008 at 02:45 PM

Your oil must be quite hot but not so hot that they burn.They need a few minutes a side to melt the cheese.I have made them with folding in the yolks (beaten) and they do have more flavor but are not as "fluffy"as with out the yolks.It IS a delicate process, Russ.Keep trying, you'll get it! I also recommend using canola or a similar "high heat" oil.Heat your oil, dip your finger in the batter and drop it(not your finger!) into the pan.If it browns, you are good to go! Suerte, Sally

Happiness is just a Baja memory away...
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 10-13-2008 at 05:01 PM

everyone says how good they are at the jungle in mulege.
i think they suck there. well....i should say they are inexpensive for the thursday nite special - but top notch rellenos they are not.

Bob H will not be agreeing with me here on this one! he likes them so much there he takes pictures of his food!!:lol::lol:

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.