Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Baja Norte - Rosarito Dining Update
Gypsy Jan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Depends on which way the wind is blowing

[*] posted on 10-16-2008 at 04:54 PM
Baja Norte - Rosarito Dining Update

Carnitas Javier, on my must try list. Located on the free road, three lights signals up from the cuota; several people have said that is the best place, hands down.

Baja Med (the cafe version of La Querencia) has moved to the catering location, also on the north side of the free road, two light signals east of the cuota.

That's Amore, in midtown Rosarito is still the best Italian restaurant in Baja and maybe all points north. Prices are reasonable, service is excellent and attentive. The food is often stellar.

Bahia Cantiles, located midway between the Rosartito Beach Hotel and Cantamar on the free road (behind the strip club, Virgins) is a "Cheers Bar" kind of place, where, if you go there more than once, everybody knows your name. Good food, beers on tap, everything is fairly priced. Well behaved dogs are welcomed inside.

[Edited on 10-16-2008 by Gypsy Jan]

“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow mindedness.”
—Mark Twain

\"La vida es dura, el corazon es puro, y cantamos hasta la madrugada.” (Life is hard, the heart is pure and we sing until dawn.)
—Kirsty MacColl, Mambo de la Luna

\"Alea iacta est.\"
—Julius Caesar
Dave
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-16-2008 at 05:13 PM
Huh?

Quote:
Originally posted by Gypsy Jan
Baja Med (the cafe version of La Querencia) has moved to the catering location, also on the north side of the free road, two light signals east of the cuota.

Where exactly? La Querencia was my favorite place to eat in Rosarito and now one of my favorites in TJ. Is this the old La Querencia local?

conquestkm
Junior Nomad

Mood: "I could have been a Rhodes Scholar, except for my grades."

[*] posted on 10-16-2008 at 05:16 PM

The 1/2 kilo to go this the best deal around

Conquestkm
conquestkm
Junior Nomad

Mood: "I could have been a Rhodes Scholar, except for my grades."

[*] posted on 10-16-2008 at 05:17 PM

The 1/2 kilo to go this the best deal around
Thats at Carnitas Javier

Conquestkm
The Gull
Super Nomad

Mood: High

[*] posted on 10-17-2008 at 07:24 AM

Jan,

La Mananitas moved to the cross street where Waldo's is on the main drag. The building is about 100 feet toward the ocean. It is nicer than the building they had next to Bada Bing. Same menu, wonderful soups.

I agree with your other recommendations.

�I won\'t insult your intelligence by suggesting that you really believe what you just said.� William F. Buckley, Jr.
Gypsy Jan
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-17-2008 at 07:29 PM

Dave.

Yes, Baja Med has moved to the original location of La Querencia restaurant. If you are heading into TJ, it is on the left, just before the second (or third, duh, I can't remember that well) traffic light.

The hollow tile brick wall is painted with the name "Baja Med". A bakery is located just west of the property and a propane gas station is on the east (that is how I always figure it out), at the traffic signal. Also, there is a pedestrian bridge over the intersection.

La Querencia in TJ has a website that is maintained by SDRO, but it is woefully under-maintained, and doesn't have current info. It locked up when I tried to post a link to the site here.

—Mark Twain

\"La vida es dura, el corazon es puro, y cantamos hasta la madrugada.” (Life is hard, the heart is pure and we sing until dawn.)

\"Alea iacta est.\"
—Julius Caesar
Bajafun777
Super Nomad

Mood: Enjoying Life with Wife In Mexico, Easy on The Easy

[*] posted on 10-17-2008 at 10:26 PM

In Rosarito I like Suzanns probably misspelled this as the food and service are both great, the owner also onsite most of the time, good wine selection and good bar service. I also like El Nido for breakfast in the back outdoor patio, and I like the bar for the wet dinner meal, and I like the chicken cooked on the open grill along with any of the beef selections. It is a little pricey on some things but have never ever heard of anybody getting sick at either one of these places. Had my last birthday get together at Suzanns and it was great food and did I say the beer was real cold and the tequilla was one shot after another. I also like the place across the street from Rosarito Hotel that has music and good tacos along with did I say cold beer and tequilla????? I know some may not want to spend the higher cost at La Fonda on the free road down the road in La Salina area but never had bad food there and did I say the beer was cold and the tequila greeeeeat!!!!! I also eat at another open air tacos shop down the street from Rosarito Hotel but cannot think of the name as did I say I was at home having really cold beer and somebody finished the tequila and forgot to get some more, so bummer!!! Later, bajafun777

Alex
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-18-2008 at 01:34 AM

How is Baja Med Different than La Querencia in Tijuana? Does it offer any of the Pizzas Like at the Baja Med Pizza company in TJ?
Gypsy Jan
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-18-2008 at 06:26 PM
Alex, I Can't Answer Your Questiion

La Querencia is the flagship restaurant, with a very large and interesting menu, which I have posted about a few times before.

I have never been to the Baja Med restaurant in TJ, but the waiters at La Querencia told me that it was the same menu concept, but less complicated and with a pizza approach.

The former Baja Med in Rosarito near the city hall (Palacio Municipal) had a reduced version of the parent restaurant menu; tacos, salads,sandwiches and a Mexican version of "omakase", bringing to you the best of the kitchen, until you say, "Stop".

I haven't visited the new location for Baja Med, but I suspect that it is operating in the same way.

Migelangelo, the chef/owner, is a true artist and visionary, and in eight years of eating at his various restaurants, we have always had a great meal at a great price and discovered something new to ohh-and-aah about.

—Mark Twain

\"Alea iacta est.\"
—Julius Caesar
jeans
Super Nomad

Mood: Encantada

[*] posted on 10-19-2008 at 12:56 PM

Quote:
Carnitas Javier, on my must try list. Located on the free road, three lights signals up from the cuota; several people have said that is the best place, hands down.

My parent's also enjoyed Javier's many times. Then, about a year ago we went in there (my second time) and our plate of carnitas was mostly hunks of fat and skin. We politely told the waiter that we had been there several times in the past and usually got more meat and we were disappointed. The waiter just shrugged his shoulders and said, "Yes, our cook...he is no good"

We now go to Flor De Michoacan for carnitas.

Let us know if they got a better cook! :lol:
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 10-19-2008 at 01:12 PM

Flor De Michoacan ...............Outstanding carnitas, I agree with Jeans!!!!!:tumble:

[Edited on 10-19-2008 by bajaguy]

Gypsy Jan
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-19-2008 at 02:49 PM

Jeans, I can't comment on Carnitas Javier, I haven't been there yet, but it was highly recommended on this board recently.

We have been to Flor de Michoacan in central Rosarito many, many times over the years and have always enjoyed the food; but our Mexican American friend recently vetoed it as a dining destination, because it was "too greasy". Go figure, every experience is subjective.

Now to new news, Ruben of Ruben's Baja and Grill on the free road across from the Las Gaviotas community is opening up a tapas bar in central Rosarito, across the street from Bancomer, tomorrow.

99 cent beers during "happy hour" and if you are drinking, free tapas are served. He is planning lots of entertainment and special events. His only warning is that the staff speaks Spanish only, so be prepared!

To get on the mailing list, send an email to: http://www.rubens_baja_grill@yahoo.com.mx

—Mark Twain

\"Alea iacta est.\"
—Julius Caesar
Bajabuff

[*] posted on 11-13-2008 at 02:43 PM
Flor de Michoacan

Hi, yes the Carnitas are great at Flor de Michoacan. I ate there Monday last with very picky friends from LA. They raved about them. "best they ever had" "best salsa ever"
Dick
Woooosh
Banned

Mood: Luminescent Waves at Rosarito Beach

[*] posted on 11-13-2008 at 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajabuff
Hi, yes the Carnitas are great at Flor de Michoacan. I ate there Monday last with very picky friends from LA. They raved about them. "best they ever had" "best salsa ever"
Dick

Yup, they're the best. If you're taking some carnitas to go- the best fresh tortillas in town are just across the street- in the little market between the Elektra Store and the Don Louis Hotel.

\"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing\"
1961- JFK to Canadian parliament (Edmund Burke)
Robe

[*] posted on 1-12-2009 at 02:10 PM

any suggestions in same area for good fine and live music? somewhere with good ambiance, not too expensive to celebrate a birthday?
BajaSerg
Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 1-12-2009 at 02:44 PM

Bahia Cantiles.....Happy Hour woo hoo!

Gypsy Jan
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-2-2009 at 07:40 PM
Carnitas Los Panchos

Is our newest favorite carnitas place.

As the sign states, proudly operated by the family since 1947.

Located on the north side of the free road to TJ, just past the bridge over the toll road.

We have had lunch there several times over the last few months, making it a destination on returning from TJ. (They also do breakfast)

Great food, great prices - always busy.

—Mark Twain

\"Alea iacta est.\"
—Julius Caesar
JESSE
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-3-2009 at 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave
Quote:

Where exactly? La Querencia was my favorite place to eat in Rosarito and now one of my favorites in TJ. Is this the old La Querencia local?

Dave,

I am really surprised about that, their food is just awful, and the only time they where good was when their where at the original location, where the uncle actually did the cooking. Now that he his gone, the food has gone down dramatically in quality.

Try Ottos grill about 1 kilometer north of the original Querencia, thats the uncles restaurant, and his food is delicious and just like the original.

Dave
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-4-2009 at 12:08 PM
To each his own

Quote:
Originally posted by JESSE
I am really surprised about that, their food is just awful, and the only time they where good was when their where at the original location, where the uncle actually did the cooking.

Been to Otto's a couple of times and while I appreciate what he does it's not my cup of tea. He specializes in seafood and Mexican influenced sauces both of which I am not a big fan. He puts out good food, though a bit lacking on presentation.

Gypsy Jan
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-4-2009 at 12:23 PM
La Querencia/Baja Med

Was supposed to reopen in the old La Querencia location on the Free Road, but the mural painted on the wall seems to be advertising catering, so I am confused (that's all right, I more or less live in a permanent state of confusion),

So, here's a link to La Querencia's website: http://www.laquerenciatj.com/

—Mark Twain

\"Alea iacta est.\"
—Julius Caesar
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.