Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Northern Pike
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-22-2008 at 11:32 PM
Northern Pike

The first thing that impressed me about this creature was it's total lack of fear. I noticed it almost immediately. Most fish will shy away from you or your boat as the lure is brought closer. Not these guys. If they haven't taken the fly during the retrieve they seem to be perfectly happy just staying by your side. Similarly, they won't flush at your approach along the bank. They simply hold their ground. They are the top predator in their realm and act like it.

To me this fish is deceptively beautiful. Dad used to tell me that all fish are. But this one is exceptional. No, they don't glow like a dorado or have the grand dorsal of a sailfish. But their design and color are remarkable nontheless. At first appearance, they look like a barracuda. But the snout doesn't really come to a point. As Alex said, they look like ducks.

The other quality that became apparent was their agressiveness. They wouldn't run down their prey like most gamefish. Instead, they would follow slowly follow our flies coming closer and closer. Then there was a lightning burst and the fly was simply gone.

We soon learned to take advantage of this character trait. We found that if you could spot a pike all you had to do is dangle the fly in front of it's snout and then came the lightning strike. How could it be so dumb, I thought. Actually, it wasn't an act of stupidity at all. The powers of concentration of this animal is incredible. It just focuses on it's prey with all it's being and simply blocks out everything else. When it sees those feathers slowly undulating in front of it's snout it simply can't resist. Even with you standing over it and it being fully aware of it. This is an animal that's built to kill.

But the most fun we had with pike were with floating mouse flies. These didn't work as well as subsurface streamers but the take was worth all the casting. I had one pike take my mouse and miss. I was so excited I pulled the fly off the water and slapped it back down. This time an enormous swirl as the pike smashed it in anger. But I was to anxious and pulled it before he took it well. I think we were both getting worked up by this time. I slammed the fly down and I swear to you: This fish came flying out of the water and came down head first on top of the mouse. Really, the fight wasn't important after that.

The second picture I'm including here is to show the kind of habitat these fish like. Most of the time they are either in those weeds of a foot or two away from them. We weren't aware of this at the start and would cast away from shore. It wasn't until a few hours later that Alex looked into the grass he was about to step into and saw a body. We found pike up to 3 feet long in those weeds. Somehow they snake their way through those fronds and just wait. I would have to say that most of the takes were from fish that shot out of the reeds in a rush to take the fly. From this we learned to retrieve the fly a foot away from the edge and be ready. Often times they would rush back into the grass as fast as they came out. Following a fly through the grass is usually a futile thing as they just chew their way through the line.

And speaking of teeth, they are impressive. They don't grow from the jaw. Rather they seem to grow from the roof of the mouth looking like stalagtites in a cave. We caught a lot of pike on this trip but I can't say I ever became comfortable handling this fish. You're up to your waist in water as you bring it to your side. A 10 inch head full of teeth that could easily just cut you to pieces if it had a mind to do so. It slashes around you as you try to work your hand around it's back. We were never bitten, however, and nobody we met at the lodge had it happen to them either.

This last image is of the area we stayed at. The name of the mountain this shot was taken escapes me but Pompano probably knows. The Brooks River winds it's way between two massive lakes. The small lake in the distance is what the the locals call "the beaver pond" but which we called "Pike Lake". Nobody cares about Pike Lake. Everyone comes to see the bears. The stretch of river directly above Alex's unsmiling face (he's a teenager, after all) is the mecca of all wildlife photographers. The water drops about 6 feet there and the grizzlies are waiting.

Now please join me with your stories about pike or any others you wish to share.
Natalie Ann
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-23-2008 at 07:25 AM

Excellent fishing tale and photos, Igor!
Now I understand why my mom used to prattle on and on about fishing for pike in northern Wisconsin and still waxes nostalgic about that fish today.

Your set of photos also really shows us the teen that Alex has become - the many moods and looks that go with that age. It's fun to watch Nomad's children grow up over the years.

Thank you for posting this story. I truly enjoy fishing tales and do hope some others will add theirs.

Nena

Be yourself, everyone else is already taken.
.....Oscar Wilde
Paulina
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-23-2008 at 08:05 AM

Thank you!

Alex has really grown. I know they hate to hear that, but it's happening at our house too. In our case it's the fish or the horse that puts a smile on our teenager's face. I thought about that when comparing your photos of Alex. Your first photo has him captured perfectly.

Thank you for the great report and description of the Pike. I've never met one face to duck-like face, yet.

Saludos,
P>*)))>{

\"Well behaved women rarely make history.\" Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
baitcast
Super Nomad

Mood: good

[*] posted on 10-23-2008 at 08:17 AM

:lol: That last look brings back memorys,why don,t we ever see pic,s of the old man with a fish?
Rob
Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 10-23-2008 at 09:26 AM
A truly great post, Igor.

Kudos, bravissimo, salud....You've captured the exuberence of youth and the startling first-met ferocity of the pike...a real surprise to first-timers. ('Jacks' in my neck of the woods.) Those are experiences that we will remember fondly when it's time for Alex and others to take thier sons and daughters on these rights of passage.

I'm too busy packing for a hunting/fishing trip right now, but will gladly contribute to this thread later. Hopefully with some nice photos.

In the meantime, I will repost this old favorite reminder of youth and adventure in the northern woods.

The smiles on Jason's face have lasted from then til now.

FISHING (11).jpg - 41kB

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

Mood: muy amable

[*] posted on 10-23-2008 at 09:30 AM
and now for the bad news

Some idiots have planted them in some of our NorCal lakes and they eat everything else in the lake.

Goodbye trout, bass, coho, you name it,

Pikes rule!
No doubt about it,
but at a terrible cost to the rest of the fish cycle.
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-23-2008 at 10:19 AM

Are you referring to Davis Lake? I thought they eradicated them last year.

If you know of other lakes I would really like to know about it.

As a gamefish they really don't come close to a rainbow trout. I know the DFG is totally dedicated to keep these fish out of California and that's the right policy. They really don't belong here.

Actually, comparing the fighting qualities of trout and pike really makes no sense to me. They're very different from one another. Each has it's own good qualities. But I suppose that if a 150 foot run of line peeling off your reel is your ultimate measure of a good gamefish then, yes, the rainbow is a finer gamefish.

I'll try to add shots of the rainbows we got on the river tonight after I get home from work.
Paulina
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-23-2008 at 10:43 AM

YummmmY!Fresh caught rainbow trout pan fried in cornmeal for breakfast is my favorite!! Can't wait to see 'em.

P<*)))>{

\"Well behaved women rarely make history.\" Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
Ken Bondy
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Mellow

[*] posted on 10-23-2008 at 12:13 PM

Wonderful fabulous post Igor!! One other fringe benefit that comes from fishing northerns is that they hang with walleyes which, IMHO, are the best eating fish that swims in fresh water. Again, great great post.

Saludos,

++Ken++

[Edited on 10-23-2008 by Ken Bondy]

carpe diem!
Pescador
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-23-2008 at 12:13 PM

Igor, I can't believe that you would wear that many clothes while fishing. Must be way up north.:lol:
Natalie Ann
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-23-2008 at 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ken Bondy
Wonderful fabulous post Igor!! One other fringe benefit that comes from fishing northerns is that they hang with walleyes which, IMHO, are the best eating fish that swims in fresh water. Again, great great post.

Saludos,

++Ken++

[Edited on 10-23-2008 by Ken Bondy]

That's exactly what my mom sez!:yes:

Nena

Be yourself, everyone else is already taken.
.....Oscar Wilde
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-23-2008 at 12:57 PM

I thought about you several times on this trip, Ken. Yes, I did.

You see, after going through your website a couple of years ago I figured out where the picture of the salmon with bear was taken. As I stood on the photographers platform I understood where you must have been standing and where the bear stood. The only thing missing was the lens you used.

I got the impression that the fishermen there don't seem to look favorably on the photographers. It seems to be a case of 'we were here first'. The fishermen see the photography and viewing as a fad that has come and will go away. The anglers, on the other hand, have been there since the 40's now.

The photographers, on the other hand, think that the anglers are just nuts. Whereas the natural lovers are herded by the park service and pass through a system of gates and fences the anglers just wade in with the bears. Well, not exactly, next to them but these behemoths always seem to show up unexpectedly when the reel starts to scream. And then you just get the hell out of there.
Ken Bondy
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Mellow

[*] posted on 10-23-2008 at 03:52 PM

I am very flattered Igor. That is a great shot of Alex in front of Brooks river showing both lakes. What an amazing place, didn't you think?
++Ken++

carpe diem!
thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

Mood: muy amable

[*] posted on 10-23-2008 at 04:46 PM
Yes, Davis Lake is the main culprit

Quote:
Originally posted by Skipjack Joe
Are you referring to Davis Lake? I thought they eradicated them last year.

If you know of other lakes I would really like to know about it.

As a gamefish they really don't come close to a rainbow trout. I know the DFG is totally dedicated to keep these fish out of California and that's the right policy. They really don't belong here.

Actually, comparing the fighting qualities of trout and pike really makes no sense to me. They're very different from one another. Each has it's own good qualities. But I suppose that if a 150 foot run of line peeling off your reel is your ultimate measure of a good gamefish then, yes, the rainbow is a finer gamefish.

I'll try to add shots of the rainbows we got on the river tonight after I get home from work.

As to "Total Eradication"
Who knows?
They tried it once and failed to eradicate completely,
and the ecofreaks really got on them for their efforts.
Seems like the second try worked.
The real danger was whether the pike could get past the dam somehow, down Big Grizzly Creek, into the Feather River and possibly contaminate Orville Lake and then on to the Delta.
Give that rascal 10 years and he would find a way to get there, one way or another.

Let's simply hope that the feeble minds that made the original problem have moved on to other kinds of mischief.
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-23-2008 at 04:52 PM

Yes it is.

It felt as though I was wandering around in a zoo without bars. The Park Service seemed to be on edge the whole time as well. It will only take one dumb accident and they'll shut that whole thing down I fear.
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-23-2008 at 10:47 PM
Brooks River Rainbows

This one's for you, Rob.

The trout in this river grow to a prodigious size. I caught many trout in the 22 inch size every day. And after a few days on the river you can spot the 25 inchers easily and go after them.

Plastic bead eggs - that's all you need. They're feeding on the sockeye roe and will pounce on the stuff. The more seasoned veterans would fish with dries but the beads were good enough for us. That's a 5 wt rod you see in the second picture to give you some perspective.

Paulina, trout are delicious prepared in your manner but unfortunately no trout are allowed to be kept in this river. All were released.

Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-23-2008 at 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pescador
Igor, I can't believe that you would wear that many clothes while fishing. Must be way up north.:lol:

You're right, Jim. The older I get the more I wear. Fifteen years ago I would wet wade that pike pond but now I wear polar fleece inside the waders. I also only wade with the knee brace now in rivers with rocky bottoms. I had a couple of falls this summer walking on those bear trails along the bank and the brace kept the ACL intact. So it's a good thing. The roots on the trail get slick and slippery from the rain.

Quote:
Originally posted by baitcast
...why don,t we ever see pic,s of the old man with a fish?
Rob

Do you remember that television series with Tim Allen as a toolman or some such thing. There's a character that's always behind the fence giving advice to Allen in times of need. You never get to see his face though. Well, I've decided to pattern myself after him at nomads. :P

Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-23-2008 at 11:05 PM

And this last one's for you, Paulina. We didn't have any whale bones to pose with but I did the next best thing with this pair of moose antlers.

By the way, I couldn't believe how heavy those things are. The ones on the ground must have weighed 50 lbs. Alex tried to lift them but finally just gave up and we went for the shorties.

Von
Senior Nomad

Mood: getting ready!

[*] posted on 10-24-2008 at 06:35 AM

Man that looks like fun!

READY SET.....................
baitcast
Super Nomad

Mood: good

[*] posted on 10-25-2008 at 06:54 AM

Big bows are a wonderful fish,while reading your post I,ve had flash backs to my time with Dad fishing great places up north and there were a bunch.

His first love was stream fishing for eastern brook,in those days our equipment was metal telescope rods and single action bait-casting reels.

After a time he discovered that the real big fish lived in lakes so we took to trolling,flatfish for the bows and big spoons for the lake trout,never used a motor only rowed he said they made to much noise for hours he would row,when I got a little bigger it was my turn to row,I loved it.

On a hike in on the Clearwater river we discovered fly fishing by accident,bait was dead but the fish were rising for something,just by chance he had a couple of flys and tried one,fish on:o and on a old metal rod,and that started something new to us.

Speaking of flys we used to troll with them in BC for KAMs before I moved to Calif we had fished such places as
Clearwater river
Madison
Bitteroot
Snake
Yellowstone
Fire hole
Just to name a few,this will ring a bell with some of you I,m sure

We lived on lake Pend Oreille for three years so we fished alot,this where He caught he,s biggest rainbow 12# it was,I,ve found some pic,s of those days and will try and post.

I,ve cherished those days with my dad,what adventures we shared,thx Igor for reminding me of them.
Rob
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.