BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Complaint about Asuncion Fishing!!
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 10-26-2008 at 08:59 AM
Complaint about Asuncion Fishing!!

Ya just can't please everyone!!!

Upon returning from thier first fishing trip in Bahia Asuncion, angler John Whitaker said he had only one complaint. "You said we would catch a fish on every cast...well....ONCE I had to cast twice before I hooked up!!!" He also commented that before he came, he thought that the reports from here MUST be over exaggerated, but the fishing far exceeded their wildest expectations.
Gotta love a happy client!

John flew in here with Jerry Feller and his buddies Doug Coffey and Stan Woodward, all from California. He was on a mission to catch his first yellowtail on the fly and try for a record cabrilla... so guide Juan Arce put him on the fish and he caught a 5.7 pound calico that may be a record. He was thrilled and captain Juan got a fly fishing lesson as well.

The guys limited out quickly on yellowfin tun, cabrilla and some nice yellowtail and even did some free diving at San Roque Island. The water is crystal clear and 76 degrees.

They had a blast in our village and made lots of new friends as they gave fish away. The lobster dinner at Ramonas Diner was awesome and she cooked up their catch too as lots of locals dropped by to see what all the noise was! They are already planning their next trip down.

Juan's partner Herman Arce's son was pretty excited as he got to put on the pilots headphones and he gave him his cap...I asked him if he wanted to go for a spin and he looked away and said, nah, maybe next time!
This group made a big impression on our village with their good humor and generosity. Juan now has a digital scale!!!

[Edited on 10-26-2008 by shari]

DSC00765.JPG - 48kB

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
shari
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-26-2008 at 09:04 AM

John taught Juan how to cast with a flyrod which he thought was pretty cool and amazed how big a fish you could catch on light tackle...of course Juan manuevered the panga around which helped alot...here is the possible record cabrilla in all it's glory!

juanyjohncalico.JPG - 50kB

shari
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-26-2008 at 10:41 AM

I dont have a clue about all this record stuff...but John sure was excited...sounds like there are lots of catagories, classes...types of rod, line, fly?????? tippet?? There are way bigger calico here, but this was a fatty and these guys were some of the most fun fishers we've had the honour of taking out. And I'm not over exaggerating THAT!

What was neat was Juan got to see how this flyfishing works and learned how to accomodate this type of hook-up.
Hey Whistler...are there some of your amigos from Abreojos in San Roque this weekend? Just wondered as they have dirt bikes and quads.

shari
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-26-2008 at 11:22 AM

So, is that a yes then? I waved at them yesterday and wasnt sure who they were..there is a whole gaggle of em though with fancy riding gear and lots of rod holders on those quads...looks like they are enjoying themselves. Juan is fishing out of San roque these days as it's closer to the fish and a better beach for launching so we're out there alot lately...cheers

shari
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-26-2008 at 05:02 PM

Yep, that's him...he was so excited about it...if he didn't get the record, he will one day!
Today was another outstanding fishing day...a real beauty...calm, not much swell...clear water...a wack of fish...limited out in a couple hours on nice 20-25 lb yellowtail and nice tuna and a couple dorado.

robintunasm.JPG - 41kB

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 10-26-2008 at 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by whistler
Shari,there is a group of guys,American and Mexican that ride together.I think you met Ralph and Rich.Rich sold some spear gun bands to Juan.His dog,Roja rides on the back of his quad.My Mexican friends from Abreojos sponsor an off-road race.They on occasion check out different courses.
You once told me that Sirena knew Mayra Gutierrez.If you see her tell her,Glenn said hi and best regards to the family.

That would be "Fishin' Rich" who has 'Roja'... Cool guy we have camped with in the desert and Baja with my kids... Sarah loves Roja!

Here's Rich and elgatoloco at Guadalupe Valley in 2001:

and Desert Bull and Fishin' Rich at my Viva Baja #3 party in 2002:

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

BajaVida
Senior Nomad

Mood: muy cool

[*] posted on 11-3-2008 at 07:29 PM
was Nick Curcione a college professor?

if so, he gave me my lowest grade in college more than 30 years ago
I think the name of the class was Deviance and Behavior
no wonder I did not do well

No se apure y dure.

Don\'t hurry and you\'ll last longer.
BajaVida
Senior Nomad

Mood: muy cool

[*] posted on 11-3-2008 at 10:07 PM
Nick C was the one

I graduated from Loyola in 76.

No se apure y dure.

Don\'t hurry and you\'ll last longer.
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 11-4-2008 at 10:38 AM

Shari - way cool, i have run into Jerry several times at the Serenidad during the whales trips. Great guy, nice plane. Takes guts to leave a 206 on an ungarded strip. did he hire a local guard?
i'd like to see more pictures of your runway for my achives until i too can make it down.

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
Iflyfish
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-4-2008 at 11:34 AM

geobas

The internet is a wonderful thing, full of great information, however it is unfiltered and one can find all sorts distortions and vendettas if one reads enough. It is hard to be in the world in any sort of public way and not accumulate enemies and competitors. This post is from a person who it seems has a bone to pick. Remember when reading posts like this that there are always at least two sides to every story. Because it is written does not make it true.

Juan and Shari have a wonderful reputation here on Nomads and I have read over and over how people have enjoyed their hospitality. I too have enjoyed their amazing generosity and good will. I am sorry to read this post and the perspective of the person who posted it. Sounds like bad feelings on the part of the poster. Posting this in this way generates rumor and provides greater exposure to this persons negative feelings. He got a free ride on your post. Maybe you wanted it that way, maybe you have a bone to pick with Juan and Shari and if you do I hope you will take it up with them and not in this forum.

The sort of success and public exposure that Juan and Shari have had are bound to flush out negative feelings in some. Consider the source. What is their agenda?

Iflyfish
SiReNiTa
Special Correspondent

Mood: Savoring life while saving the world!

[*] posted on 11-4-2008 at 12:11 PM

grrrrrrrrrrrr:mad:
ok...i'll try to be calm..if that guy is the same person i think he is thenhe is a very disturbed man...and yeah why don't weask ejido juarez, every single person in that ejido LOVES my mom as does every one who meets her...or at least a 99% am i wrong?? and sure why not while we are at it ask the biosfera delvizcaino...when i went to school in guerrero i would see them in the street and the would constantly ask about my mom...ask every one on his list and they will tell you great things as most of those who already know her will...
and yes it's true you can't please everyone...

and if "frank" is checking this post you can rest assured that you can't and won't hurt my mom she is an awsome person so just stop trying...todo lo que tienes es que estas ardido de lo que nosotros tenemos una verdadera familia con amor y respeto...asi que deja d estar de enfadoso and get a life!

Live life as well as you can,
don\'t regret the things that once made you smile,
learn from your mistakes,
and thank God for every second he gives you upon this earth.

Visit me at
Http://BajaScents.Scentsy.com.mx
Iflyfish
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-4-2008 at 02:51 PM

SiReNiTa

Your mom is a wonderful person and we know that. For years now we have read wonderful posts by people who have experienced the hospitality of Juan and Shari and yourself also. I know, I have been there and learned a great deal from your mom about whales. I will never forget our trip to the lagoon and those amazing creatures. I have experienced you and your parents generosity and kindness. You know who they are and who you are. There is really no need to defend them or yourself, your character is clear to all who have known you.

It is hard when someone takes a swipe at those we love. However no one is loved by all and if one is in the public domain then one is bound to meet up with people who for whatever reason do not like us. I have been there; I try to be honest and positive in the world and yet ended up with someone threatening my life. People interpret the world from their own perspective and sometimes we have no control over that perspective. We can only be in charge of how we comport ourselves.

Maybe the Newbie geobas did not realize that he was defaming your mother by posting his innuendo? Let’s give him the benefit of the doubt and see if he desists or apologizes for the pain he has caused. Remember that Jesus told us that you will know his followers by how they treat others.

I am sorry that you have been upset by this; you have more important things to do. I hope you are doing well in College studying those amazing creatures of the sea that you and your mother both truly love.

Abrazos Forte

Iflyfish
thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

Mood: muy amable

[*] posted on 11-4-2008 at 03:17 PM
Actually it was not exactly a graduation

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaVida
I graduated from Loyola in 76.

They gave him a diploma if he promised never to come back...
:bounce::bounce::bounce:
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 11-4-2008 at 03:56 PM

Hello!

Let me take a minute to tell anyone who cares that I know geobas (George)... I have been to his home, worked on his irrigation, and talked about Baja a lot... George was an Amigo de Baja from before Baja Nomad.

George is a good guy, and I think he is just now getting active again on the Internet after a few dry years... Am I close George?

Now, about Bahia Asuncion and Juan & Shari's place... go to their guestbook and read my post today: http://www.bajabnb.com/guest/

I am thinking it is the success that Shari has had in promoting Bahia Asuncion that has made someone jealous or angry.

George, if you take some time and read the countless nice comments Nomads have made about Shari, then the one or two negative things will seem quite strange and out of character... Elizabeth and I had a great time there during our July '07 Baja vacation: http://vivabaja.com/707

Feel free to call or email me if there is a need!

>>> UPDATE 11-6-08: The 'geobas' I know and talked about above is NOT the geobas who has been posting on Nomad recently. Some imposter has stolen my friend's handle... Thanks to Doug for banning this fake!

[Edited on 11-6-2008 by David K]

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 11-4-2008 at 04:09 PM

Regarding the Bahia Asuncion posts. They're heavy on the self-promotion side, free advertising comes to mind. :D I'm not buying, not selling, enjoy the fishing pictures.:D Keep 'em coming.:D
Iflyfish
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-4-2008 at 05:09 PM

geobas

The reference to Jesus, a pretty wise man in my book, was for SiReNiTa, whom I know to be Christian. It was meant as comfort to her. This has been very painful to this family. These are highly sensitive people. If you scratch me enough you will find that Buddhist metaphysics most closely mirror my perspective. I try to provide support in the context of the person I am attempting to support. I don't know you nor have I ever read any of your posts.

Now I know something about you. I am glad that I offered you the benefit of the doubt. One never knows what the motivation of another poster is.

You wrote “Secondly, I didn't set out to insult anybody. I was really concerned about the comment about the "irate Americans" that this person mentioned. This is a message board for Baja Nomads -- e.g. people that travel to locations in Baja. If some Americans are irate about something, I think that is topical.”

By posting the quote from their website on this forum you may have inadvertently added insult to these good folks. It appears from your post that was not your intention. One could read the post as the game “Let’s You Two Fight” a game outlined by Erick Berne in Games People Play. That’s how I read it.

As to “irate” Americans, the post you quote is from ONE person, in Spanish, who may have an axe to grind. If I posted on N omads that someone on another site had demeaning things to say about you would you want me to post that on this board out of my concern for the interests of all the others on this board? I doubt it. A direct email or U2U to Shari would have sufficed. If you wanted to "help" her then advice to take down the post would have been more direct and in my view more helpful. If I were in her position I would have a problem with deleting someones post to my site, I would not want to white wash what is said there, but I may be as naive in this as perhaps Shari is.

You wrote:
“I also received a nasty U2U from Shari, accusing me of being "Frank" or "Mike". I don't know who "Frank" or "Mike" are. I'm George. Some old-timers around here know me. My only message to Shari is that since the inflammatory comment is on HER website, why doesn't she just remove it? It's not rocket science, you know?”

Since the quote from the site is signed “Frank” is it possible that her feelings were hurt by reading this on the Nomad site and thought perhaps this person “Frank” may have a vendetta going and want to spread his views to this site? In the Hospitality business reputation is very important, comments like “Frank” made are designed to undercut the credibility of Shari and Juan. I don’t know what “Frank’s” motivation is. I do know that he posted his comments to their commercial site. You brought it over here. I wonder why? Comitan said it well, so many positive comments on their site and on this site, why would you choose that one to post? No doubt Shari wondered why also and drew a conclusion of her own.

You wrote:
“Now if there is something happening with real estate in Bahia Asuncion, would somebody please speak up? After all, that's what this board is for. It's not just a venue for all these shameless free plugs and new threads that get started every time somebody catches a fish in Bahia Asuncion, right Shari?”

It appears that you like Cypress read Shari’s posts as advertisement. I can understand that perspective, they do have a Bed and Breakfast as well as Guide Service and have helped many with transactions related to Real Estate, construction, where to have laundry done, who has the freshest handmade tortillas and coldest beer etc. I would never have heard of this wonderful place nor have visited it had I not read about it on Baja Nomads. For this I am grateful for Shari’s posts. I also enjoy her efforts at cross cultural exchange and understanding. We have engaged in prolonged dialogue on these issues and I have learned a great deal from her about these issues.

My experience of Juan and Shari is that they go overboard, way overboard to welcome and facilitate people who come to Asuncion and they have contributed significantly to their community by increasing knowledge and hence tourism to this rather remote spot. They also need to make a living and rightly so. I watched people rip them off because of their naive generosity. I also know that Real Estate, particularly in Mexico can be very tricky business indeed and that the caution “buyer beware” is apt in regard to that issue. I also know from my own experience buying and selling property that disputes, misunderstandings and hard feelings are rife in that domain. I had someone come back to me on a Real Estate transaction who wanted me to effectively rebuild the office I sold him because he did not like the original construction and this was AFTER the entire transaction closed. I paid him thousands of dollars extra to remedy problems that he identified AFTER his and my inspectors both said that the property was sound and AFTER the transaction was complete. The more I gave him the more he demanded. This was in the USofA. Now if you ask him, he would probably say that I was some sort of creep out to cheat him? Go figure? I cannot imagine a field more complex than Real Estate transactions in Mexico where the rules of the game shift over time. Your asking others on this site to post their grievances is a way to open a can of “he said”, “she said” worms that I think has no place here. There are legitimate and appropriate ways to address issues like this, posting a third parties rant from another site in order to generate negative comments is in my view an inappropriate use of this forum. If you have a legitimate beef or you own, that then is another matter.

I have followed the great threads of people building homes in Asuncion and hope they will keep posting their wonderful adventures. I really enjoyed the thread of Susan and Bob and their construction project. I have also followed with interest how they addressed problems and issues they came across and welcome their personal experiences with this. Keep ‘em coming.

Iflyfish
shari
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-4-2008 at 06:04 PM

OK...wasnt gonna get sucked in by this but.....just let me say, I wish I had a fish picture from todays trip with Baja Micael....BUT.....my computer has gone into rehab and I am on a very old laptop with lots of missing keys....so bear with me if I spell something wrong...
Nope.....definately NOT a rocket scientist but for some strange reason, I have no access to a computer....PLUS....I'm very busy with our friends here.....eating, making sashimi, having fun,...sorry that bugs some people. Most people who come here ask us to all keep in touch through this site which is what we do...do PLEASE....if you are insulted by my posts....please do not read them...gotta go have some fun....excuse me

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 11-6-2008 at 08:32 AM

>>> UPDATE 11-6-08: The 'geobas' I know and talked about above is NOT the geobas who has been posting on Nomad recently. Some imposter has stolen my friend's handle... Thanks to Doug for banning this fake!

shari
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-6-2008 at 08:54 AM

geez...and I U2U'd an apology for jumping to conclusions about his/her identity....I guess I take that apology back then...gosh, this is just too weird...but thanks doug for figuring it out.

Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-6-2008 at 10:18 AM

What kind of sicko would steal some ones handle and then post malicious Dibble? Thanks Doug.
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.