Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: mulege to asuncion and back
mulegemichael
Super Nomad

Mood: up on step

[*] posted on 11-7-2008 at 09:43 AM
mulege to asuncion and back

Whew!....whatta trip! We left our casa in Mulege this past Sunday with our amigos Mike and Irene Schmidt from our hometown of Sequim, Washington. We had heard SO much about the fishing at Asuncion that we just had to see for ourselves. There was very little traffic so we were able to cruise right along with our bundle of fishing gear strapped to the top.

We took our left turn just before the Pemex at Vizciano and headed out across the stark desert of that region. On a long straight stretch about half way between Vizciano and Asuncion I noticed what appeared to be a herd of very white sheep crossing the road way up ahead of us. They just kept coming and coming; it was so strange!...my passengers thought it was a mirage. As we got closer, we saw that it was foam, huge chunks of white foam, blowing across the road. We were in an area of salt flats and the wind had whipped the briny water into a giant cauldron of light, fluffy foam. As the chunks got bigger, they broke off and dashed across the road; a big herd of foam borregas.

We pulled into town around midday and headed to our host's casa, Shari and Juan, to get the keys to our house. Their casa is situated out on a gorgeous rock bluff overlooking the pacific; just spectacular!! Shari greeted us like she'd known us all her life; big hugs and all. She invited us to a party at her place that night but we turned her down as we wanted to get right with the exploring and FISHING! She then asked if we would like a little chunk of fresh yellowfin for sashimi. Never say no to fresh tuna. She comes out packing this HUGE slab of tuna for us. THAT'S a "little chunk?".....wow! So off we go to our beach house with our dinner already planned for the night.

All my bride, Rosalind,(aka beachgirl on Nomads), could think of the entire trip out here was getting on the beach with her spinning gear. I have created a monster after introducing Roz to fishing a couple years ago....so...once we were settled in, she treks off to the playa, packing her gear, in search of anything that would bite. She immediately starts catching little halibut and croakers and is in "fisherwoman" paradise...but..as luck would have it, she wades a little too deep and gets knocked down by a wave. She comes up gurgling and a snarfling, rod in one hand, her hat in the other...but...her glasses are gone. Oops! The poor girl is legally blind without them, and, because she left her other pair in Mulege, she's doomed to live in a world of shapes and forms for the next three days.

Our plans were to fish with Juan for at least a day, possibly two while we were there but the next day was too windy so we just sat around, hiked the beach, read and just generally enjoyed the magnificent scenery of Asuncion Bay. One of the real pluses of staying at our host's place is that they will arrange to have all our meals delivered to our house while we are there...I LIKE that! That night, at our selected time, lupita delivered a wonderful meal of fresh lobster,caught that morning, cooked to perfection, to our doorstep. It was just wonderful! We all fell asleep that night with smiles on our faces.

The next morning we were to meet Juan at San Borque, approximately 12 kilometers north, where we would head out in his panga. We were there at sunrise and Juan was waiting in his boat just offshore. He picked us up and we took off. As we rounded the point, we could see that we were headed into 8 to 10 foot swells and both Mike and I tightened up just a bit. But, because Juan had spent his entire life on these waters, we just let him do his deal and we relaxed after a little bit. The guy,(Juan), is a super skipper and a real neat person in general..and he KNOWS where the fish live! After a 20-30 minute run we stopped and started yo-yoing. I had a hookup on about my first 5 drops but only was able to get one nice 'tail in the boat. It was pretty rough conditions so after an hour or so, we decided to troll for tuna. Another 30 minute run or so and we put the gear out. From there on out it was nonstop action!...double hookup after double hookup! We were swarmed by great big beautiful yellowfin! The only downside to this experience is the presence of many sea lions who don't hesitate to latch on to our catch. At one point we screwed around with one with our tuna in his mouth for 30 minutes or so...they really are a hassle to deal with. We finally were able to break him off then got right back into it. While one of us would be playing a atun grande at the boat, we could see dozens and dozens of other tuna under him. Just a fabulous experience and in 62 years the best tuna fishing I've ever had!

We finally said,"no mas" and told Juan we were done. I had expressed an interest in trying my new 8 wt Sage flyrod out at some point and Juan was all over it. We headed for the lee side of San Borque Island to see if we could find some calico bass. Juan was born and raised on this chunk of slab rock and all that was left of his parents home is now a few pillars of block and concrete smack dab in the middle of the island.

I immediately started catching calicos on a chartruese clouser minnow then hooked into something that just took off! I was deep into my backing when I just had to point my rod at "whatever" it was, and break it off...never did see it but whatever it was, it had some pretty hefty shoulders on it.

Once we hit the beach, Juan told us to go home and relax, that he would take care of everything. A short time later we found ourselves on our patio with cold Pacificos and a book in our hands, listening to the surf of Asuncion Bay pound the playa right out in front of us.

Shari called later that afternoon and told us the fished had been cleaned and was on ice for us. Roz and I went to their place and picked up the fish and Roz bought some of Shari's gorgeous abalone jewelry. We settled our bill up with them and I had to FORCE Juan to take a propina..Geez!!

They are SUCH gracious hosts. So kind, informative,giving,and at our every beck and call...we will be going back sooner rather than later.

That night we had Lupita cook us up a HUGE plate of Paella and other assorted mariscos and delivered to our door. Once again, our heads hit our pillows early with visions of screaming reels and huge tuna.

The next morning we were up early and packed by 8 and on the road. A nice leisurely drive home found us back in our driveway by 1pm; exhausted physically, rested mentally and already planning our next trip to this little sliver of paradise called Asuncion

dyslexia is never having to say you\'re yrros.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 11-7-2008 at 09:53 AM

What a great report... and this tells you the true Bahia Asuncion/ Shari & Juan story!

Just an FYI: It is 'San Roque'

Thanks Michael for the trip report!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-7-2008 at 09:56 AM

Although I think you mean San Roque Island, the story is always the same.
Great fishing, great scenery, nice folks and awsome hospitality from Juan and Shari.

Some might say you get what you pay for; I'd say you get more than money can buy !!

Hope to see you all for Christmas !!
Lauriboats
Senior Nomad

Mood: Loving life in Baja

[*] posted on 11-7-2008 at 10:20 AM

Great story, sorry we didn't get a chance to meet you while you were in Asuncion, maybe we can meet up in Mulege sometime, we are in Mulege now. Stop by and say Hi. Jim and Lauri

What we see depends mainly on what we look for.
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 11-7-2008 at 11:53 AM

mil gracias amigos for your kind words...we cant wait to get together again.
By the way....this was not a paid announcement!

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
Barbareno
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-9-2008 at 08:11 AM

Great report Michael. Hope ya saved us some fish. Too bad about the glasses.

I am real curious about the fly fishing part. I will be bringing mine down. Tim thinks it will be too light for in the boat. Its a 7 weight rod. Did you try yours on shore? I'll have no idea what I am doing. I'll be winging it. Literally.

Barb
mulegemichael
Super Nomad

Mood: up on step

[*] posted on 11-12-2008 at 09:06 AM

barbareno....your 7 weight is WAY too small...WAY!!!...i was using an 8wt sage fishing for calico bass and was just about spooled by something big...your 7wt would MAYBE be adequate fishing from shore for little stuff but EVERYTHING down here pulls hard...bring a 10wt down for boat fishing and you'll not be disappointed.

dyslexia is never having to say you\'re yrros.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.