Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Removing fish hook from thumb
Santiago
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-8-2008 at 02:35 PM
Removing fish hook from thumb

http://www.aafp.org/afp/20010601/2231.html
The above link takes you to a good description to what I did to my friend's thumb on our last Baja fishing trip. Andy had caught a small yellowtail on the trailing hook and while he was trying to release it he burried the front hook in his thumb. I grabbed a pair of small bolt cutters I keep on the boat for just this reason (lower left corner of photo) and cut the fish loose, mainly to keep Andy from screaming each time the fish would thrash. Andy tried to pull the hook out but couldn't, even thought I crimp all barbs, all the time. I then told Andy I would do the procedure just like a doctor did on me a few years ago. I wrapped a line around the bend in the hook, Andy applied pressure down on the eye and I gave a gentle tug and it popped right out. Washed it with beer and fished on.
[img][/img]
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 11-8-2008 at 02:44 PM

good info....

i hope to never have to use it!

Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 11-8-2008 at 02:47 PM

Ouch!!!:o
toneart
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Skeptical

[*] posted on 11-8-2008 at 02:53 PM
Saddists and Masochists

would love this method. What about the rest of us wimps?:o:barf::lol:

thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

Mood: muy amable

[*] posted on 11-8-2008 at 07:14 PM

Hey, it works,
I read the thread,
winced,
drank some beer,
and now I feel a lot better

thanks doc.....
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 11-8-2008 at 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by thebajarunner
Hey, it works,
I read the thread,
winced,
drank some beer,
and now I feel a lot better

thanks doc.....

amazing ain't it? i "rinsed" with beer, just like in the story and i feel most refreshed...

Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-8-2008 at 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Santiago
... it popped right out. Washed it with beer and fished on.

E. Hemingway must be somewhere smiling approvingly.
vandenberg
Elite Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 11-8-2008 at 10:02 PM

Well, here's one for the books.
During a salmon fishing trip on the Sacramento River, my father in law set on a double treble hook flatfish and one hook embedded in his scrotum. Fun, fun, fun !!!
And I'm not embellishing on this story.:biggrin::biggrin:

I think my photographic memory ran out of film

Air Evacuation go to
http://www.loretobarbara@skymed.com
toneart
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-8-2008 at 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by vandenberg
Well, here's one for the books.
During a salmon fishing trip on the Sacramento River, my father in law set on a double treble hook flatfish and one hook embedded in his scrotum. Fun, fun, fun !!!
And I'm not embellishing on this story.:biggrin::biggrin:

I hope he wasn't casting at the time! :o:o:O:O

toneart
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-8-2008 at 10:32 PM

Hey, Bajarunner and Woody. You guys are swilling the beer without the embedded hook. I can do that too. :yes:

If I am in error, let's hear the gruesome details. :smug:

Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 11-9-2008 at 05:50 AM

"my father in law set on a double treble hook flatfish and one hook embedded in his scrotum"

is this what is refered to as a...
"pocket fisherman"??? :lol::lol::lol:

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
baitcast
Super Nomad

Mood: good

[*] posted on 11-9-2008 at 07:20 AM

All this information on how to remove a hook is fine and nice BUT what do you do when your trolling with something like a Rebel fastrac with THREE BIG TREBLE hooks and a couple are implanted in your hand with a wild dorado all over the boat:o
Faint I guess:lol:
Rob
vandenberg
Elite Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 11-9-2008 at 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by baitcast
All this information on how to remove a hook is fine and nice BUT what do you do when your trolling with something like a Rebel fastrac with THREE BIG TREBLE hooks and a couple are implanted in your hand with a wild dorado all over the boat:o
Faint I guess:lol:
Rob

Punt !!:P:lol:

I think my photographic memory ran out of film

Air Evacuation go to
http://www.loretobarbara@skymed.com
Pescador
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-9-2008 at 03:52 PM

When I was a teenager on a trip to San Carlos, Sonora, I went fishing with a crusty old guy who was a regular snowbird and a friend of my parents. I guess he did not have a lot of experience cause I caught a big trigger fish and he instructed me to give him the fish in order to remove the hook from the fish's mouth. He put his thumb in a little too far and the trigger fish chomped down and took the first 1/2 inch off the end of his thumb. Blood was shooting out and he hollered for me to open his tackle box, which I did. He grabbed a little bottle of tequila, poured some on his thumb, poured some more down his throat, took out a well used handkerchief, wrapped it around the thumb, and we fished for the rest of the day.
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-9-2008 at 08:09 PM

Took a half inch off! I can believe it. Just that clicking sound they make as the two halves come together convinced me. I've brought up my lead sinkers with deep scars in them from dumb triggers that don't seem to know better.

Getting hooked while flyfishing is common. A sudden gust of wind comes up on your forward cast and your fly is in your back. I once had to walk a couple of miles at Tuolumne Meadows to find someone willing to get an adams out of my back.
baitcast
Super Nomad

Mood: good

[*] posted on 11-10-2008 at 07:49 AM

:lol: Ya that clicking and grinding sound does get your attention!! my worst case was a bass and a plug bouncing around on my hand:o caught me on the web between my thumb and forefinger not a good scene,had to push it though and cut off the tip,hopefully its the last.
Rob
mulegemichael
Super Nomad

Mood: up on step

[*] posted on 11-12-2008 at 03:56 PM

On a father/son bonding trip once several years ago I had a grim experience...my then "young" son and I were bass fishing in Washington and I had accepted that he was drinking alcoholic beverages..as i was...we sat around the campfire and talked of his college experiences and sucked up a few cervezas...climbed in the tent later with my ball cap still on...woke up later with a pain in my hand...come to find out i had left a rapala stuck to the brim of my hat and it was now firmly stuck to my sleeping bag, my hair, my hand and my hat....hmmmm...it was imbedded past the barb on one of trebles into the meaty part of my left forefinger...so...i had my son cut the corner of the sleeping bag off, cut a chunk of my hat off, and cut a wad of my hair off so that i could get out of the tent...it was getting light and i knew i had to work fast so i could catch the daylight bite..i had all this "stuff" dangling from my right hand and got out the needlenose pliers...grabbed the hook by the bend, gritted my teeth and ripped it out....a paper towel and some duct tape and we were fishing 15 minutes later...i hadn't heard of the "line around the hook" trick yet..i know now..

dyslexia is never having to say you\'re yrros.
ELINVESTIG8R
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-12-2008 at 05:15 PM

Reading this post reminded me when I was a kid working the clam camp near Colonia Vicente Guerrero. I was surf fishing and was nicked with a rusty fish hook on my left little finger. A few days later my finger was swollen to the size of a D-Cell battery and it started stinking. An Indian man working at the camp looked at my finger and told me my finger was rotting. I now know it was gangrene. The Indian told me we needed to collect leaves from a plant called Hediondilla (Chaparral) to make a tea to soak my finger and to make a poultice. It took many soakings and poultices but I never lost my finger thanks to that Indian and his knowledge of the medicinal properties of the Chaparral bush.

Iflyfish
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-12-2008 at 08:24 PM

I had a doc (fisherman) remove a treble from my hand once using a large hollow needle. I now carry them with me fishing.

Method:

Run hollow needle into hole made by hook and press hollow needle over barb and push down and then pull hook out. The first doc wanted to cut and he saw what was happening and took over.

Ilfyfishwhennotdisengaginghooksfrommyscrotumandothermajorappendages

Iflyfish
El Camote
Senior Nomad

Mood: y Blues

[*] posted on 11-12-2008 at 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by vandenberg

What a way to bag a fish! :lol:

I'm still crossing my legs over that one. :o

Knowledge is good. - Emil Faber
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.