Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Baja Grande 2008: El Arco, Guerrero Negro, Cataviņa
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

Mood: Its Pole Line Road time

[*] posted on 11-30-2008 at 01:51 PM
Baja Grande 2008: El Arco, Guerrero Negro, Cataviņa

Guerrero Negro (gair-aero nay-grow) "Black Warrior":
Guerrero Negro is the point of entry to the state of Baja California Sur, and its location on the 28th parallel. Because two of the Baja Grande vehicles lacked sufficient travel documents, we were a little on edge as we met up in El Arco after being separated due to a wrong turn. As we looked towards the west, ominous rain clouds packed the skies. As our group reached Hwy 1, just south of Guerrero Negro, the rainclouds opened up, completely soaking the drivers as we had to air up our tires. Shoes, socks, pants, shirts, you name it - we were completely soaked. After traveling north into Guerrero Negro for some Mexican Pesos at the local bank, some of the vehicles decided to gas up using their gerry cans, and because of the intermittent showers, got soaked a 2nd time! Our plans called for us to camp out at Santa Rosalillita (Rosa-li-yee-tuh). But, rain just kept soaking the roadways, and we knew that along the beach, it would be even worse. Our group stopped in the small pueblo of Jesus Maria (Jesus Mary), and gassed up. The Tamale Lady was at home, recuperating from an injured ankle, so her family and an employee were preparing Tamales in their tiny restaurant adjacent to the Pemex station. After several tamales each, we completely ate up the tamale inventory, and pointed our Jeeps north - to Cataviņa.

Cataviņa (cah-tah-vee-nuh):

Our plan B was to stay at Rancho Santa Ines' motel for two nights - located on the trailhead to Mission Impossible. But according to local Americano Ralph Shoemaker, the employees were getting 'Lazy' and did not like tending to a motel with few to no visitors. So, we drove up to our plan C - Motel Cabaņas Lindas. For $27, we were able to stay in a motel with cold showers, c-ckroaches, and no water the next morning. The morale of Baja Grande fell to new lows. David and Tom both were coming down with colds, and they were ready to pack it in, and head back home. The next morning, after a good sleep, everyone was intent of traveling Mission Impossible instead of going home. Joe and Sandra headed to El Rosario early, fearing body damage to their new Tacoma pickup truck. Thanks to Joe, our room reservations were bumped up 1 day early, because after running Mission Impossible, our plan was to arrive in El Rosario after dark.

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-30-2008 at 01:53 PM

BAJACAT
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-30-2008 at 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ken Cooke
Guerrero Negro (gair-aero nay-grow) "Black Warrior":
Guerrero Negro is the point of entry to the state of Baja California Sur, and its location on the 28th parallel. Because two of the Baja Grande vehicles lacked sufficient travel documents, we were a little on edge as we met up in El Arco after being separated due to a wrong turn. As we looked towards the west, ominous rain clouds packed the skies. As our group reached Hwy 1, just south of Guerrero Negro, the rainclouds opened up, completely soaking the drivers as we had to air up our tires. Shoes, socks, pants, shirts, you name it - we were completely soaked. After traveling north into Guerrero Negro for some Mexican Pesos at the local bank, some of the vehicles decided to gas up using their gerry cans, and because of the intermittent showers, got soaked a 2nd time! Our plans called for us to camp out at Santa Rosalillita (Rosa-li-yee-tuh). But, rain just kept soaking the roadways, and we knew that along the beach, it would be even worse. Our group stopped in the small pueblo of Jesus Maria (Jesus Mary), and gassed up. The Tamale Lady was at home, recuperating from an injured ankle, so her family and an employee were preparing Tamales in their tiny restaurant adjacent to the Pemex station. After several tamales each, we completely ate up the tamale inventory, and pointed our Jeeps north - to Cataviņa.

Cataviņa (cah-tah-vee-nuh):

Our plan B was to stay at Rancho Santa Ines' motel for two nights - located on the trailhead to Mission Impossible. But according to local Americano Ralph Shoemaker, the employees were getting 'Lazy' and did not like tending to a motel with few to no visitors. So, we drove up to our plan C - Motel Cabaņas Lindas. For $27, we were able to stay in a motel with cold showers, c-ckroaches, and no water the next morning. The morale of Baja Grande fell to new lows. David and Tom both were coming down with colds, and they were ready to pack it in, and head back home. The next morning, after a good sleep, everyone was intent of traveling Mission Impossible instead of going home. Joe and Sandra headed to El Rosario early, fearing body damage to their new Tacoma pickup truck. Thanks to Joe, our room reservations were bumped up 1 day early, because after running Mission Impossible, our plan was to arrive in El Rosario after dark.
Do you guys had radios to keep the group from separating(wrong turns)..

BAJA IS WHAT YOU WANTED TO BE, FUN,DANGEROUS,INCREDIBLE, REMOTE, EXOTIC..JUST GO AND HAVE FUN.....
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-30-2008 at 02:00 PM

Enjoying all of your reports and ALL of your photos----great job.

Diane

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-30-2008 at 02:18 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by BAJACAT
Do you guys had radios to keep the group from separating(wrong turns)..

We had CB radios, but when people aren't listening to them, or there is road noise, or you go out of range, they are no good. Maybe, I'll get a 2 meter next year...

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-30-2008 at 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by jdtrotter
Enjoying all of your reports and ALL of your photos----great job.

Diane

Muchas gracias por tu complemento. :light:

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 11-30-2008 at 04:13 PM

Looks wet!

What happened at the state border as far as the Tourist Card check went??

Thanks Ken!

[Edited on 11-30-2008 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-30-2008 at 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K

The offical just waved us through the checkpoint. No stopping, no pulling out passports/documents/tourist visas, etc. I was able to snap a picture of the eagle monument before the clouds opened up again. It was a rainy drive all the way to Cataviņa. Once we were there, everyone was worried about slipping off of rocks, rolling their Jeeps, etc. Once we arrived, the rocks were all clean of sand/dirt, and the drive in was a breeze. If you look at the photos of the Jeeps driving up the dropoff 1 mi. from the Mission, you can see that traction had been a problem over the past year for visitors. The Toyota 4 Runner that traveled with us last year was simply strapped to the top of this hill. We were careful not to dig deeper holes in the dirt. The Unlimited Rubicon went straight up and over. Front & Rear lockers helped along with 35" BFG MT/KM2s. The Bronco had a tougher time being open differentialed, but he made it up without assistance. My Rubicon went straight up and over - no problems. I was running 12 p.s.i. in the tires with the rear locker engaged. Russ in the back of the group has only a limited slip differential, running less weight and was able to walk right up and over the obstacle - mainly because he chose a better line than the rest of us.

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 11-30-2008 at 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ken Cooke
Quote:
Originally posted by David K

The offical just waved us through the checkpoint. No stopping, no pulling out passports/documents/tourist visas, etc. I was able to snap a picture of the eagle monument before the clouds opened up again. It was a rainy drive all the way to Cataviņa. Once we were there, everyone was worried about slipping off of rocks, rolling their Jeeps, etc. Once we arrived, the rocks were all clean of sand/dirt, and the drive in was a breeze. If you look at the photos of the Jeeps driving up the dropoff 1 mi. from the Mission, you can see that traction had been a problem over the past year for visitors. The Toyota 4 Runner that traveled with us last year was simply strapped to the top of this hill. We were careful not to dig deeper holes in the dirt. The Unlimited Rubicon went straight up and over. Front & Rear lockers helped along with 35" BFG MT/KM2s. The Bronco had a tougher time being open differentialed, but he made it up without assistance. My Rubicon went straight up and over - no problems. I was running 12 p.s.i. in the tires with the rear locker engaged. Russ in the back of the group has only a limited slip differential, running less weight and was able to walk right up and over the obstacle - mainly because he chose a better line than the rest of us.

Okay, yes on the trip north in '07, we also did not get stopped, northbound.

You are talking about the Widowmaker, just over a mile from the mission... That 'cliff' is usually the biggest obsticle with many parking at the top and walking down to the mission.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 12-1-2008 at 07:20 PM

Excellent reports and pixs, thanks Ken.
Fatboy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-1-2008 at 08:12 PM

Ken -
thanks for the good reporting and I wish(REALLY, I DO!) that everyone would do what Ken did regarding Spanish names, as a spanish marooon it is a great help to me!!!
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-1-2008 at 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Fatboy
Ken -
thanks for the good reporting and I wish(REALLY, I DO!) that everyone would do what Ken did regarding Spanish names, as a spanish marooon it is a great help to me!!!

This was something I thought would be a big help. Russ had me confused when he said, "Santa Rosalita" instead of "Santa Rosalillita." We straightened that out, but I figured this must be a common mistake leading to huge logistical errors for travelers.

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-9-2008 at 08:16 PM

Iris and Russ in front of Sra Carmelita's Tamale shop! :bounce:

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-9-2008 at 08:18 PM

That's Russ, Iris and Me. I loved Carmelita's Tamales!! :bounce: :bounce:

BAJACAT
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-9-2008 at 08:18 PM

Somebody needs a sidewalk lol

BAJA IS WHAT YOU WANTED TO BE, FUN,DANGEROUS,INCREDIBLE, REMOTE, EXOTIC..JUST GO AND HAVE FUN.....
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-9-2008 at 08:21 PM

Quote:
Somebody needs a sidewalk lol

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-9-2008 at 08:23 PM
Airing the tires up at Hwy 1 just past El Arco

BAJACAT
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-9-2008 at 08:55 PM

Ken how much air preassure you guys where running on the Baja rigs.?

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-9-2008 at 09:00 PM

Quote:
Ken how much air preassure you guys where running on the Baja rigs.?

15# average.

BAJACAT
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-9-2008 at 09:09 PM

Kool thanks, great pictures,

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.