Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Mama Espanosas
Steve&Debby
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-17-2009 at 09:23 PM
Mama Espanosas

Well we went to Mamas on January 10th on our way home from a great trip all the to Cabo then around the horn on our way home. Went in and sat down,maybe three other people besides Diver in the restraunt. My mouth was watering for Mamas famous lobster.So when the waitress came over I said I will have the Grande Langosta. The waitress said she would have to check with the kitchen.She came back and said NO Langosta:mad::mad::mad:.I could not believe what I was hearing,Mama Espanosas with no Langosta.Thats like McDonalds without a Big Mac ,Burger King without a Whopper,Taco Bell without a Taco.Well after I calmed down I thought well no Langosta so my wife ordered chili rellanos and I ordered shrimp tacos.
Our order arrived ,we both got shrimp tacos.My wife deceided that the tacos were ok, and did not say any thing,until we took a bite. these were the worst shrimp tacos we had ever had:barf::barf:. The shrimp were very fishy tasteing and not fresh, but the little scoop of rice was good.The restaraunt was very clean,but the food sucked.Also the price was rediculous,Two orders of shrimp taco,two beers and a margarita for 38 American Dollars:fire::fire::fire:.
Next year we will defanatley skip Mamas and pick another spot to stop and eat. Any recomendations for good Langosta?
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-17-2009 at 09:56 PM

Happens way too often. I kinda think that nomads are living in a world of nostalgia. Especially since everyone stays at Antonios making it easy to just walk next door. There are other better places to eat in town.
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-17-2009 at 11:04 PM
Steve & Debby

That sucks. Shrimp are highly perishable> Sounds like they weren't fresh.

DON\'T SQUINT! Give yer eyes a break!
Try holding down [control] key and toggle the [+ and -] keys

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 1-17-2009 at 11:14 PM

We have posted here so many times... other places for dinner than ESPINOZA'S.

Lobster at Ed's "Baja's Best Restaurant" and ask Ed to fix them 'his way'! Far end of town, across from the new Turista Motel.

The price of lobster has gone way up Ed told us, so be warned.

Photos of Ed's inside and out (remodeled restaurant) in my trip report Baja 1-09 Part 7.... in the Nomad Baja Trip Reports forum.

Next in line for dinner would be Primo's "Bocana Beach Restaurant" in front of the Sinahi Motel.

Third would be Hugo's "Tacos Mision" (no lobster), but great burritos and stuffed potatoes.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Lauriboats
Senior Nomad

Mood: Loving life in Baja

[*] posted on 1-18-2009 at 04:49 AM

We had the same type of experience and have not been back to Mama Espinozas.

What we see depends mainly on what we look for.
oxxo
Banned

Mood: If I was feeling any better, I'd be twins!

[*] posted on 1-18-2009 at 07:04 AM

We were "underwhelmed" at Mamas on two different occassions a couple of years ago. Caballos locos couldn't drag us back to what has to be our WORST dining experience ever anywhere in Baja.
Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-18-2009 at 07:59 AM

What a shame that some one in Mama's family can't get it right! It should be an historic landmark and probably is to some extent. Some are getting good food and service there according to past posts. But I'm not taking the chance of being ripped off or worse until I hear there is a new management.:no:
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 1-18-2009 at 09:52 AM

There are really MANY other places to eat in El Rosario... just none with this much publicity over the years.

We had good lobster in 2004 there, good breakfasts each time (perhaps a good thing being next door to Baja Cactus?)... Seems dinner and slow service is the weak areas for Mama.

I hope David (ELINESTI8) relays some of this so they do improve... With a major change, I am sure we would give them another chance... as it is said, it is a Baja landmark, afterall! Roli (Mama's daughter) has been running the place for many years... She is very nice and I am sure would want to improve if so many negative comments were known to her.

Afterall, Baja race posters, stickers and ammonites can only draw clients for so long before bad food and service keeps them away!

Roli (on the right) with Antonio (BajaCactus) and Lorenia, in 2005:

http://vivabaja.com/505/mailedD40.jpg

[Edited on 1-18-2009 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-18-2009 at 10:00 AM

It really is a shame about Mama's --- after our last try, we sure won't go back--unless we hear major changes have happened.

Since Baja Bed and Breakfast has remodeled, we may give it one more chance. We finally had given up on them----last breakfast we had there was so, so, and there were lots of other problems covered before. Some may have been fixed with the remodel. And maybe they have quit smoking while customers are eating. While they cut their Starbucks coffee with other coffee, it is still better than most.

Not for lobster, but we like Tacos Mission, but then again, another person had a very bad experience there.

Diane

[Edited on 1-18-2009 by jdtrotter]

bajabound2005
Ultra Nomad

Mood: words cannot describe...

[*] posted on 1-18-2009 at 10:03 AM

Those stuffed potatoes at Tacos Mision are FANTASTIC, even better than lobster! Last time we drove through El Rosario, they were closed (too early in the day). Next time we are planning the trip just right for those potatoes.

Friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel.
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-18-2009 at 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajabound2005
Those stuffed potatoes at Tacos Mision are FANTASTIC, even better than lobster! Last time we drove through El Rosario, they were closed (too early in the day). Next time we are planning the trip just right for those potatoes.

:yes::yes::yes: They are incredible---just bring some extra lipitor. :lol:

It was your report about those stuffed potatoes that convinced us to try them----

[Edited on 1-18-2009 by jdtrotter]

Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-18-2009 at 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Next in line for dinner would be Primo's "Bocana Beach Restaurant" in front of the Sinahi Motel.

I totally agree about this place... great menu and wonderful food!

We also had a great lunch at the little white and red school bus taco place just around the bend. Shrimp tacos to die for!

Bob H
LancairDriver
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-18-2009 at 11:15 AM

The lobster and hospitality used to be primo "back in the day"

DSC00055-R.JPG - 26kB
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-18-2009 at 12:32 PM

I do think it's a case of resting on their laurels for Mama's. They have history, a prime location and a hotel nearby (Baja Cactus) that seems to fill up nightly. i know, for myself, when coming North, Mama's is convenient. Don't feel like having drive to dinner after settling in. Have had good food at Bocana Beach, only peeked into Ed's, pre-remodel. Just don't feel like walking that distance in the dark on what is an uneven, often muddy shoulder. Bet that helps Mama's business.

Am surprised that Steve&;Debby said the place was empty. I know tourism is down, but I cannot recall seeing Mama's empty at dinner time.

Anyway, Zagat doesn't give any stars to any restaurant in El Rosario!
ELINVESTIG8R
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-18-2009 at 01:08 PM

No restaurant in Baja California is immune from being lambasted for their food preparation or their prices. Mama Espinoza’s Restaurant is no exception.
That said Mama's is still a great place to eat. I eat there every day while on my two week vacation to visit with Mama except when I am at Rancho El Metate. I also stay at Mama Espinoza’s motel called La Cabanas.
It is clean and a secure place to sleep. The only thing is you must heat your room with a small wood burning stove.
When I go down in March 2009 I will let Rolli know of the complaints I saw here. All I can say is if you don’t like to eat there for whatever reason go someplace else to eat. It’s pretty simple.

[Edited on 1-18-2009 by ELINVESTI8]

Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-18-2009 at 02:14 PM

I think you have it wrong, David. Mama's is a landmark restaurant. For decades, people enjoyed eating there. It is also in a convenient location. What I see from the various posts here, is a sense of slippage in the attention to detail. Telling people to eat somewhere else won't help the business.
Paulina
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-18-2009 at 02:19 PM

Wasn't there something posted a while ago that mentioned the possibility of Antonio opening a restaurant at/near his hotel?

P<*)))>{

\"Well behaved women rarely make history.\" Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
ELINVESTIG8R
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-18-2009 at 02:30 PM

Bajahowodd I live and eat at Mama's when I go visit. I lived there 42 years ago when it was a hole in the wall. I have complete access to the kitchen, their refrigerators and freezers. I see all the food before they prepare it. I see them clean the stove. I see them cook the food. I see them store the food in its proper place when not in use. I have total access to everything. I have never seen them prepare perished food. I know for a fact that Rolli has given days off without pay to some of her employees for not properly storing food. And yes if people feel it is not the place they want to patronize they should go to those other places David K speaks about. More people love it there than hate it. As I said before I will let Rolli know what has been written here.

BajaGringo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Let's have a BBQ!

[*] posted on 1-18-2009 at 02:39 PM

I don't know if I am just lucky or when they see me they decide to cook some "good" food but I have been eating there several times a month for a couple of months now and haven't had a bad meal yet.

I guess I just must have good karma...

:?::?::?:

Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-18-2009 at 04:12 PM

Paulina- Antonio's restaurant is either on hold because of the decline in tourism, or because he doesn't want bad feelings Rolli and himself. Take your pick.
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.