Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: La Fondas Alternative
SteveD
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-29-2009 at 10:15 AM
La Fondas Alternative

There is a little Hotel and Restaurant two door North of La Fonda's, Poco Cielo Hotel. Had a nice lunch at the restaurant, sitting in their patio with a great view of the beach and the coastline. It was a clear day and you could see all the way North to Califia.
SteveD
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-29-2009 at 10:18 AM

Forgot the picture!

Winter-2008-9 090_1.jpg - 38kB
BajaGringo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Let's have a BBQ!

[*] posted on 1-29-2009 at 11:32 AM

I have been there and met the owners. Nice place (when they are open)

Keri
Super Nomad

Mood: muy contento

[*] posted on 1-29-2009 at 12:32 PM

We ate there a couple of weeks ago. They were packed. Not expecting a crowd they only had one waiter. Needless to say our food was brought to us kinda cold.When the owner came by to see if everything was all right we told her everything tasted great but was served cold. She apologized and explained what happened and sent us a dish of their clams and a slice of cheesecake. What a nice way to handle a little bump in the road. I want to tell you her clams were fantastic. They are cooked in Tequila and anise. Fantastic. I can't wait to get back and have those clams again. Btw the dinners were good also. We'll be back,k

http://www.pyramidresort.com
011521-646-119-9445
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-29-2009 at 12:43 PM

Gotta check it out next time I'm nearby. It takes cajones to set up shop right next door to La Fonda. Not to mention La Mision is just up the street.
BajaWarrior
Super Nomad

Mood: Anxious to get south

[*] posted on 1-29-2009 at 04:18 PM

Yes, ate dinner there one night maybe 10 years ago because La Fonda was having a private party, but it had another name then, La Mision?

Haven't had a bad trip yet....
fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 1-29-2009 at 04:19 PM

Went there with mi Bonita and the view is fantastic. Wasn't crowded when we were there. Almost private for us.
Drinks and food were "fair" but enjoyed the ambiance. Nice staff.

"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." J. A. Shedd.

A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it. – Albert Einstein

"Life's a Beach... and then you Fly!" Fishbuck

Keri
Super Nomad

Mood: muy contento

[*] posted on 1-29-2009 at 07:30 PM
bajawarrior

Poco cielo is a different restaurant than La Mision which by the way is closed they say until April. . Bajahowodd, The owner explained to us that she is a personal friend of Dimytri She told us he talked her into opening it mainly because he needed more rooms as La Fonda was always full. Things have changed Dimytri is no longer the owner there and there is not alot of things full around here right now. Cheryl has also had her ups and downs but still a nice place to go ,good food and great view ,k:yes:

http://www.pyramidresort.com
011521-646-119-9445
BajaWarrior
Super Nomad

Mood: Anxious to get south

[*] posted on 1-29-2009 at 08:00 PM

Thanks Keri, I was aware of the change with Dimytri's ownership...

I was a long time customer of La Fonda for years, never a trip went by that we didn't stop there for dinner. To this day the best Rib Eye I've ever had was at La Fonda. I even met my first wife there...

But I'll have to try Poco Cielo on our next Pacific side trip based on all these reviews...

Haven't had a bad trip yet....
elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-29-2009 at 08:06 PM

The first date with my first wife was at La Fonda. :)

Good times.

Hope to try Poco Cielo someday soon.

MAGA
Making Attorneys Get Attorneys

Gaucho
Nomad

Mood: Bohemia por favor...

[*] posted on 1-29-2009 at 08:37 PM

My first solo road trip to baja was in 1980 right after my 16th birthday. I told my parents I was going to surf in San Diego. I packed up my old Buick stationwagon with 3 buddies and we ended up camping at the vacant lot between La Fonda and La Mision, which was a ruin at the time. We surfed all day and ended up at La Fonda all night drinking beer. I've eaten and stayed at La Fonda numerous times since.

Is Dimitri ok? Did he retire? Was he "asked" to hand the business over to somebody?
BajaGringo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Let's have a BBQ!

[*] posted on 1-29-2009 at 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by elgatoloco
The first date with my first wife was at La Fonda. :)

I took a lot of ex-girlfriends there on "first" dates. Almost the same thing....

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 1-29-2009 at 09:33 PM

Although we have eyed Poco Cielo several times, (they have several "themed" rooms) we have been very happy with La Fonda. La Fonda has the best restaurant water-view. Poco Cielo has a very nice patio, but their rooms are about double that of La Fonda.
La Fonda's food is reasonably good, but we've had better in many places in Baja. Either place you can't beat the romantic atmosphere. Poco Cielo's Hawaiian or Mexican rooms have the best views of the ocean.

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-29-2009 at 11:03 PM

Dinner menu at La Fonda was never very Mexican. But I have to say, I had the best 1/2 pig there. At least it seemed like that much.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.