Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Baja trip report
ibannie
Junior Nomad

Mood: :)

[*] posted on 3-1-2009 at 10:26 PM
Baja trip report

Baja was such an experience on all levels that its almost impossible to put it all into words. It was more than expected, better than expected, awesome and wonderful - yet at the same time driving through this part of the world makes me so incredibly thankful for everything I have. I think it should be a must for every teen to visit here (but not the big tourist spots), especially those that have attitude. They would definitely learn some good life lessons from some lovely people.

The views are stunning right from the start and my camera never stopped clicking all the way - thousands of photos and a severely groaning hard drive later, we sit back here in the USA a little sad but immensely happy that we were able to see so much. The trucks on the narrow roads were incredible, but we hung on to all our mirrors, kept all the wheels on the road and many extra photos were taken while Frank cruised around those mountain roads that have no barriers on my side! We only had a few really close calls with trucks on our side of the road, but found most of them very thoughtful and happy to give us plenty room.

I swear the sky changes color over the Sea of Cortez! and that water - totally amazing. The views, from the craggy mountains, unforgiving cactus everywhere, ocean and beautiful bays were something I will never forget. Not being a morning person at all, it was quite a change for me to be awake and functional enough to capture almost every awesome sunrise along the way and most sunsets too. Don't you just love the way that sunlight comes all the way across the water to end right at your feet on the shoreline? It's absolutely special to be the first set of footprints in the sand while that beautiful silence happens right before everything wakes up again for a new day.

It really fascinated me how the Mexican people are so incredibly friendly and how little eateries pop up everywhere and how no matter how stupid I felt about not being able to speak more than a word or three of Spanish, I was always dealt a smile (except once where puzzlement took the cake) and a wave. I swear that I will always learn the basic language skills of any country I ever visit again! The incredible amount of color everywhere is beautiful and it was amazing to me how many different things are captured in just one photo - its a bit like those pictures that hide one character (Waldo) and you have to find him - so much happens, its quite amazing.

The whales were totally awesome - especially at San Ignacio where we had a male and female playing around the boat for over an hour and together we took 1500 photos! The camera clicked away happily while I looked at the real and big picture, not limiting myself to just the lens. Carlos drove us from Rice and Beans to the lagoon - boy what a ride that was - an experience in itself! Ojo de Liebre was an absolutely lovely place to camp - we loved being so close to the water and the blowing whales and the birds and the quiet! Los Barilles was simply beautiful with all the colorful sails of the windsurfers. Santispac was special, but then so were so many other places - the gold flecks in the water and the hot springs on the beach at La Jolla campground near La Bufadora, the beautiful pelicans at Bahia LA, the fishing boats at the fish camps we stopped at and the long open beaches at Bahia Asuncion and Cerritos Beach Camp just below Todos Santos. We have seen so much and met some really lovely people and I just know I have forgotten to mention something...

I keep wanting to say 'but most of all I enjoyed the........" but then I think of something else..... I think my favorite place is a mixture of all the places we visited and people we met - from the smiling, hopeful salesmen on the beaches, the amazing cooks at the Palapa resturants we ate at, the waiters and serenaders at Guerrero Negro, the people prepared to talk to someone who did not understand, others who live here and those who were traveling through like us, the stores with hand packed items and meat thats not all pre-packed, the conditions people live in here and the total lack of any feeling of fear, the jaw dropping beauty mixed with the unutterable poverty - all of this and so much more came together and handed us three weeks of unforgettable days and nights... The color and character that shone through everything is something I will never forget, it will all roll around my heart for a long long time to come.

We came in through Tijuana and left through Tecate. We only had a wait of about 25 minutes at Tecate and lost only the cactus wood - fair enough. We were not asked about dogs, shells or anything else at all and it took only a few minutes to get through. The first night in a USA campground was really interesting.... people kept to themselves and as a group of ladies walked briskly past, I had to bite my tongue not to call "Hola!", instead I floated a "normal" hello across to them and was totally ignored! Now which is the more civilized country??

Thanks to everyone who helped us with suggestions and places to visit. Thanks to everyone we met who were so kind and helpful. I miss Baja already.

[Edited on 3-2-2009 by ibannie]

\"Life is mostly froth and bubble; Two things stand like stone:
Kindness in another\'s trouble, Courage in your own.\"
http://bajabaggs.blogspot.com
BornFisher
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-1-2009 at 10:41 PM

You have a great perspective and write so easily. Thanks for the report, hope there`s more!!
Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-1-2009 at 10:41 PM

Great summary of your trip. I hope as the days unfold, you share a bit more detail. I can totally relate to your experiences at the campground north of the border. Our young son is a superstar in Baja with everyone wanting to hold him but when we return here, people can barely acknowledge you when you let them cut in line on the freeway.

Thanks for taking the time to share your experiences.

Zac

Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-2-2009 at 01:57 AM

So beautiful and so right. It was like my last trip. Kudos to Ibannie, and kudos to the wonderful people of Baja!
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 3-2-2009 at 07:57 AM

great trip report annie girl...I felt your awe. And another example of how this board added to your trip dont ya think? Gotta love the newbies!

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-2-2009 at 08:04 AM

Nice report; glad you enjoyed.
Kinda brings me back about 20 years to my first long road trip in Baja.
Funny thing is, I still get some of those feelings on every trip !
Thanks
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 3-2-2009 at 08:13 AM

Perfect!

Thanks for sharing and glad you had a rewarding trip...

Look forward to seeing some of your photos...

Hope it isn't too long before you get another 'Baja fix' for your 'Baja fever'!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

BornFisher
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-2-2009 at 11:18 PM

I read your report again and want to thank you again!!
It is so refreshing to see Baja thru the eyes of someone who is seeing, traveling in and experiencing Baja for the first time.
Hope you write more, I`ll check your blog! Gracias!
Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-3-2009 at 07:52 AM

I love the first time visitor's trip reports... yours was just fantastic. It takes us there for the first time again!

Gracias!

Bob H
Steve&Debby
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-5-2009 at 08:24 PM

DON'T LET THE CAT OUT OF THE BAG!!! People might get the wrong idea and think it is safe to go to Baja:lol::lol::lol:
Ken Bondy
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Mellow

[*] posted on 3-5-2009 at 08:37 PM

That was absolutely beautiful Annie!! Thank you so much for posting that report.

carpe diem!
Neal Johns
Super Nomad

Mood: In love!

[*] posted on 3-6-2009 at 04:36 PM

Great report! Glad you see Baja like we do.

My motto:
Never let a Dragon pass by without pulling its tail!

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.