Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Great Food in Guerrero Negro
Phil C
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-21-2009 at 06:06 PM
Great Food in Guerrero Negro

Next to the hotel Carracoles, at the entrance to town is Restuarante Nautilus. Located in the strip mall / convience store just to the east of the hotel. While it shares the space, seperated by partitions, with the convience store, this resturant is not to be underestamated. We had dinner and breakfast there and I watched everything that came from the kitchen while I was there. My meal was Mano de Leon scallops that were sliced on the radius so that they were about 6 inches long and 2 inches across and 3/8 inches thick breaded and fried WOW! Another meal at the table was seafood soup it was incredible. The Chefs salad was fresh and had all the right ingredients. Breakfast the next day was Chilequiiles rojas con pollo y juevos. Juevos con Machaca and Juevos Rancheros. All came with beans and potatoes unlike any we've had in Mexico. This is not Malarrimo or Las Casulas. The clientel is local and young, The food is great. There are pizzas and pastas, soups, salads and paninis on the menu and all looked great . Give it a try for something fresh and different. Oh, Don't forget dessert! my chocolate shake was great and the apple pie cheesecake were great.
Edited for spelling, pobre Gurrero:)
[Edited on 4-22-2009 by Phil C]

[Edited on 4-22-2009 by Phil C]
Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 4-21-2009 at 06:16 PM

Thanks Phil, I'm trying that one the next time I am close to
Black Warrior. Your food description has me sold!..sold I tell you..sold!

So the clientel is young and local? I am niether but will endeavor to be innocuous. ;D

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
Fred
Senior Nomad

Mood: Laid Back

[*] posted on 4-21-2009 at 06:24 PM

Thanks Phil.........I am adding it to my notes of Baja tonight.
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 4-21-2009 at 06:33 PM

my chicken stir fry just lost its luster......:barf:

shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 4-21-2009 at 06:35 PM

Cool, it's finally open...this is another one of Raul Lyle's projects, the owner of Los Caracoles Hotel...all of his endeavours are done with class and very well run.

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
oxxo
Banned

Mood: If I was feeling any better, I'd be twins!

[*] posted on 4-21-2009 at 07:53 PM

I have eaten there twice for breakfast. EXCELLENT! I also recommend San Remedio restaurant for dinner. GN is finally getting some competition for Malarrimo. I used to dread eating in GN. Now I look forward to it.
bajabound2005
Ultra Nomad

Mood: words cannot describe...

[*] posted on 4-21-2009 at 09:19 PM

Guerrero Negro! If ever I had a pet peeve it's the misspelling of this poor town!

Friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel.
dtbushpilot
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Tranquilo

[*] posted on 4-21-2009 at 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajabound2005
Guerrero Negro! If ever I had a pet peeve it's the misspelling of this poor town!

You're not allowed to be the spelling police, need to wait for DK for that:lol::lol::lol:....dt

"Life is tough".....It's even tougher if you're stupid.....
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-21-2009 at 11:24 PM

First time we ate there, it had only been open a couple of months. We sat down and was told that the usual chef was not there that day. It was breakfast time. I'm crazy for chilaquiles. Well, have to say that the plate of chilaquiles that morning ranked up by the top of any I've ever eaten.

That being said, and I really think Raul has done a wonderful job of setting the bar in Guerrero Negro as far as tourist facilities are concerned, I just have a problem with the ambience in the restaurant since it is really not separate and apart from the convenience store. Maybe it's trivial. But, just seems to me that with the effort and presentation of the food, it deserves a better setting.
bajabound2005
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-22-2009 at 06:59 AM

Thanks for fixing the spelling, Phil C, and next time we go through GN we'll give that place a try!

Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-22-2009 at 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajahowodd
I'm crazy for chilaquiles. Well, have to say that the plate of chilaquiles that morning ranked up by the top of any I've ever eaten.

Tell me more on how they make them... never heard of them.

Check out this link..
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chilaquiles
Bob H
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 4-22-2009 at 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob H
Quote:
Originally posted by Bajahowodd
I'm crazy for chilaquiles. Well, have to say that the plate of chilaquiles that morning ranked up by the top of any I've ever eaten.

Tell me more on how they make them... never heard of them.

Check out this link..
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chilaquiles
Bob H

Sunrise Cafe in Vista has them and calls the dish "The Baja Breakfast" (excellent name, yes?): scrambled eggs, tortilla strips, coverd with melted cheese and cilantro... YUMMY! Meet me there some morning!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 4-22-2009 at 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by dtbushpilot
Quote:
Originally posted by bajabound2005

You're not allowed to be the spelling police, need to wait for DK for that:lol::lol::lol:....dt

Not police... teacher.

Guerrero Negro means 'Black Warrior' the name of a whaling ship that grounded and the lagoon was given its name. The salt mining town of Guerrero Negro was established about 1957 and was originally called Salina Vizcaino. Not until the transpeninsular highway was re-routed to Guerrero Negro and paved in 1973 did much growth occur beyond the needs of the salt company.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-22-2009 at 10:43 AM

Fact is if you just use GN when referring to the town, virtually everyone on the board will understand to what you are referring.
bajabound2005
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-22-2009 at 06:18 PM

Yup, and then you can't misspell; trouble is - if you're doing a search... And thank you DK for the lesson. I knew what GN meant, but didn't know the history behind it.

Curt63
Super Nomad

Mood: Fish tacos and Tecate

[*] posted on 4-22-2009 at 07:05 PM
Carmelitas

I'll try to stop there, but every time I get near GN mi pobre truckita swerves in to this place and I end up with 2 beef burritos........... not upscale but muy sabroso

No worries
Skip_Mac
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-22-2009 at 07:08 PM

Gotta second Phil C's recommend, The Mano de Leon had me fooled and I double checked with the waiter...cause the unrolled scallops did not look right to me (and I was thinking back to a screwed up order at Mama Espinozas the week before...a very unappetizing screw up)...Well, I complimented the chef and apologized to the waiter for doubting him,,, they were wonderful. I swallowed my pride and could have swallowed another order of the Mano de Leon. The atmosphere was a but like a mini mart with the adjacent market...but convenience counts for something. Definitely one of the great restaurants in the town...and a very gringo friendly style operation.
Phil C
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-22-2009 at 08:39 PM

O.K. since my thread has been moved to a bit north of Guerrero Negro,to Jesus Maria, I must report on that too. We ALWAYS stop at Carmelitas, since she was first out in her van in front of the Pemex under the tree. If you look close you will find Mr. C. and Mrs C. in seperate photos inside, Mrs C. is with Carmalita in front of the origanial van. This last time we stoped, we learned that Carmalita is ill with cancer. I belive she is over 80 years of youth. What a wonderful loving personality! Prayers for her everyone.

[Edited on 4-23-2009 by Phil C]
vgabndo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Checking-off my bucket list.

[*] posted on 4-22-2009 at 09:20 PM

I'm so sorry to hear this news of Carmelita. When last we visited she complained of not feeling well, but didn't mention the "C" word. I am sending her good energy.

Undoubtedly, there are people who cannot afford to give the anchor of sanity even the slightest tug. Sam Harris

"The situation is far too dire for pessimism."
Bill Kauth

Carl Sagan said, "We are a way for the cosmos to know itself."

PEACE, LOVE AND FISH TACOS
Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 4-22-2009 at 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Phil C
O.K. since my thread has been moved to a bit north of Guerrero Negro,to Jesus Maria, I must report on that too. We ALWAYS stop at Carmelitas, since she was first out in her van in front of the Pemex under the tree. If you look close you will find Mr. C. and Mrs C. in seperate photos inside, Mrs C. is with Carmalita in front of the origanial van. This last time we stoped, we learned that Carmalita is ill with cancer. I belive she is over 80 years of youth. What a wonderful loving personality! Prayers for her everyone.

[Edited on 4-23-2009 by Phil C]

Phil C, I would like to comment on Jesus Maria also. We were told the same thing about Carmelita back in November and our hearts are heavy. Her old van was a welcome sight during our earlier trips. She and I got to know each other after so many stops. She always remembered .. "3 for the road." A true delight..Carmelita of Jesus Maria.

Our prayers, from your old road friend.

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.