BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Recommendations for La Paz Panga Fishing?
MitchMan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-24-2009 at 11:06 AM
Recommendations for La Paz Panga Fishing?

I want to take my son Panga fishing this July 2009 in La Paz.

What is the going price for two people, one day out on a fiber glass panga with a flat deck (no wooden benches)? Also, if you know of any good deals, please advise. How far off shore do the pangeros have to take you to put you on fish? What's the appropriate amount for a tip to the skipper?

I understand that lately that one has to drive to Pichilinque and hire a pangero from there. Is that true for July? Are the pangueros lower costing from Pichilinque than from La Paz?

Any advice and recommendations would be appreciated. Thank you in advance.
Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-24-2009 at 11:41 AM

http://www.tailhunter-international.com/

These guys seem to catch a lot of fish !!
Consider a trip from Muertos to the island for more consistent fishing.

http://www.bestoflaventana.com/activities/fishing.html

Above is a page of Pangueros from La Ventana area if you want to save a few bucks.
Pescador
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-24-2009 at 12:18 PM

Jonathan Roldan runs Tailhunter international and they run boats both from the La Paz side and from Muertos or Las Arenas, depending on where the fishing is the best at the time you are wanting to go. Diver gave you the web hook up.
Also a well respected and long time sportfishing booker is David Jones who I highly respect as a very informed and competent fisherman does pretty much the same thing. You can find him at http://www.fishermensfleet.com
You can expect both of these people to be honest about the best opportunities that exist during your time period. I have never known either one of these guys to suggest that fishing is good when it is in fact not good. I have had friends who were told, by both, to come back in a few days because tides were wrong or wind was expected, or whatever and instead of being sold a fishing trip, they were guided into making a trip which was a sucess for everyone involved.
The challenge with finding a panga on the beach is that you may end up with nothing more than a boat ride. Where I live up north of this area, I have seen guys trying to save a couple of bucks and they went out with a panga that was 1/2 of what the real fishermen charge but they had trouble finding bait, they did not catch anything, the guy owned a panga but had very limited fishing experience for yellowtail, and did very little to educate or instruct the people who had booked the trip. So, talk to both these guys, explain what you hope to accomplish with your son, and let them hook you up with a trip that your son will remember for a long time and not just a long boat ride.
Your time frame is good for Dorado and that will be an experience to remeber but you need to catch one first.

Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-24-2009 at 03:08 PM

As Diver and Pescador mention the best area in that vicinity is the Pt Arena/Los Muertos area. If you can get someone to launch from there you will have a shorter boat ride (11 miles from La Ventana), more fishing time, and greater results. The south end of Cerralvo is real good.

However, if the fish are in then you will do well throughout that channel between the peninsula and the island. See map in Diver's 2nd link.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.