Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Panga netters with a diver
Russ
Elite Nomad

mad.gif posted on 4-25-2009 at 07:10 PM
Panga netters with a diver

I was looking at some photos I took the other day and when I zoomed in on this panga netter I noticed the guy in the wet suit and weight belt. :mad:
This is not new by any means but I hadn't seen it here before. This goes way beyond bad. Herding a already devastated fishery into a net is just SICK! Especially during the sponging season. Lots of flowery flowery words and phrases left out here folks.
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-26-2009 at 12:34 AM

Someone nearby knows this guy

bonehead.jpg - 29kB

DON\'T SQUINT! Give yer eyes a break!
Try holding down [control] key and toggle the [+ and -] keys

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
JESSE
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-26-2009 at 01:52 AM

Where was this?

Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 4-26-2009 at 05:37 AM

Russ, that's an umwelcome sight anywhere, especially out at Punta Chivato where I remember the countless fish we would see while snorkeling the rocky shorelines... but now you know our pain in the BOC. This panga, net, diver combination has been going on for 35 years in Conception Bay that I know of personally. Wait, that's not correct..it WAS going on for 30 plus years..it is not now, because there is nothing left...the Bay of Conception conceives no more. The overfishing/netting has made it a cemetary. Sad..and mad. :mad:

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-26-2009 at 06:06 AM

This was at the south end of San Marcos Tierra beach and the just picked up as we arrived and headed for San Bruno. I was using a long lens with a x2 teleconverter so I had to manually focus. My friends pic is a lot clearer. So sad! I'm just sick with what has happened here in just the last 10 years or more. 15 years ago when I move to Shell Beach I'd see sardines all year and catch fish from shore. No longer. :no:
Don Alley
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-26-2009 at 07:01 AM

I've seen them doing this off Carmen Island, with an air compressor for the "hookah" diver. The use of compressed air is illegal for sport fishing, but legal for commercial fishing. But that could change.

Please go to this link and support proposed changes to Mexico's commercial fishing rules:

Seawatch

BajaDove
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-26-2009 at 07:20 AM

One day in Muertos they came in with a boat so full, of big red snappers, there was no free board. The crew was in another boat.

If its not where it is, its where it isn\'t.
Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-26-2009 at 07:20 AM

Here's my fear/dilemma. I read the Seawatch info and agree with the part about the reefs and the pre-written e-mail. Since I am not a Mexican it could be construed as political and there could be problems IF some one wanted to make a big deal of it. Any thoughts about my worries?
Byron
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-26-2009 at 07:44 AM

Russ, while camping at Punta Chivato about 14 yes ago I watched while a panga with a air hose diver with a flashlight and a spear nailed one after another good sized fish in the rocks just off the point south of the camp site. Isn't this supposed to be illegal? Is it still going on? This was at night.

[Edited on 4-26-2009 by Byron]
Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-26-2009 at 08:23 AM

Here's a heart rendering video that I got from the Seawatch site that Don Ally posted. http://www.youtube.com/user/seawatch
There are areas, I believe, that this practice is illegal but without enforcement it will continue.
I think there was a thread last year that covered this but it is worth bring it to light again.
toneart
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Skeptical

thumbdown.gif posted on 4-26-2009 at 08:41 AM

I saw this practiced a little south of the mine last Thursday...in broad daylight. The mine is around the point and south, from Mulege. These guys drop nets and the diver maneuvers the net in a circle and traps the fish.:mad:

bajabillybob
Banned

[*] posted on 4-26-2009 at 08:50 AM
No hope for the sea

As non Mexicans,there is nothing you can do about this and it will continue until the Mexican authorities get a backbone to do something about it. Is'nt it crazy that they will fine a gringo for digging up weeds in your yard but will allow these sea bandits to wipe out areas of the Sea of Cortez because the culprits are Mexicans. Great people,nice beaches and an insane political system that can't get its head out of its a$$.

[Edited on 4-26-2009 by bajabillybob]

Nothing to see here folks,move along .
Pescador
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-26-2009 at 11:30 AM

Russ, I posted about this last year on the fishing reports, here on Nomads, and on bloodydecks. I took some really good quality pictures and went in to the PESCA office in Santa Rosalia and was told by Martin, that everything is totally legal. That is not completely true, as Mexican regulations totally prohibit using compressed air while spearing fish, but most of the pangueros do not spear any of these yellowtail, they just keep closing up the net until they literally can scoop out the fish. It is bad enough that they are doing this to the yellowtail, but they are also taking everything else that gets in the nets like cabrilla, parrotfish, and all the other reef fish that are up in the rocks where they are netting the spawning yellowtail. We were at Tortuga last year and missed getting hit by inches when a panga was laying out the net on a batch of fish that was running close to the rocks. They drop the big net at full speed in a circle when they spot fish coming in to the rocks, then the divers go over the side as they move the net into the center a little bit at a time. In the old days they could not do this because they tore the nets up, but now with the divers they are pretty much killing everything.
This has been the worst year I have experienced in terms of yellowtail fishing, which I have been doing since 1954 in Mexico. The Mulege tournament had 30+ boats with fishermen who are pretty good fisherman and they managed 7 fish total for two days of fishing hard. Reports from Mulege to Santa Rosalia have all been spotty this year with one good day and 5 bad days, which indicates that smaller schools of fish are transiting the area and if you happen to hit a good day you may catch a fish or two but the other days there are simply no fish in the area. I attribute this to the continued spring netting of spawning fish and it may get to the point where the yellowtail goes in the same way as the totuava.
I have all the seawatch stuff and have hoped that they might actually do something but they were pretty ineffective with Norma 29 which allows longlining in close to shore. They have the potential to actually effect some change and have been working harder in the Loreto area where there is a little more support for what they are doing but I have not really seen any major changes so far. Pam Bolles, Don Alley, Bill Earhardt, and others are very supportive in that area.

Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-26-2009 at 12:05 PM

Thanks Jim. It is so sad to see Fisheries officials in Mexico turning a blind eye the same as the US did. As you mentioned, there is a point of no return. I believe we're very close. For the many that are scrambling to eek a living from the sea it is very sad. I hope things aren't as dismal as we paint them here. There are even a few Nomads that believe the fisheries are still health. I pray they are right.
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 4-26-2009 at 01:36 PM

Russ, Pescador, Pompano, Don Alley and many others. The gill-netters are killing the Sea of Cortez. You know it, I know it, and they know it. If they stopped right now it would take 20 years for the local reef fish to recover. The pelagics come and go, but they're also being hammered. A short seasonal fishery doesn't support a 365 day investment.:no:
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-26-2009 at 02:49 PM
Yes we can

I say we should all conspire to expose these varmits regardless of the legality or shall we say laws governing the fisheries.
Using places like this forum and untold many others is advantageous in regards to informing or otherwise exposing the raping and havoc taking place with harmfuland destructive fishing techniques.
I really appreciate yours' and others willingness to actually do something tangible that may eventually fall on the eyes and ears of those who have the power to take emergency measures, because that's what it will take to save the Sea of Cortes.
If more folks from either side of the border that care enough to speak up and this pattern continues and hopefully grows exponentially it's quite possible that the forseeable future may bear fruit. That is if a concerted effort can sway the importance and priority that the situation currently receives from the Mexican Govt.
I strongly advocate the use of the internet to consolidate the large amount of available information that is both current and historical for purposes like saving a sea so important.

While I am remiss for not doing more, it's never too late to so. I will make a stronger effort to help perhaps in some small way but more importantly, we as a collective argument have more teeth that may get some notice.

I strongly urge others to do so as well and I tip my cap graciously to those here who actively do something and give a damn. Good on them! There are plenty out there that don't do squat and we need their help as well.

If we can put more pressure via the web let's do it. If you have photos or documents or information pertinent to the crisis occuring in the Sea of Cortes I encourage you to share your stuff.

Thanks in advance. I don't believe we can't have influence. This thread alone speaks loudly. You think anyone mportant is watching? I do.;D

DON\'T SQUINT! Give yer eyes a break!
Try holding down [control] key and toggle the [+ and -] keys

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
Don Alley
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-26-2009 at 03:59 PM

Today I visited an area restaurant that I haven't been to before. Fish served were cabrilla, perico and marlin.

Perico are taken by spearing, often at night, and in nets. Unsustainable methods. They are a staple in local restaurants. Marlin are supposedly reserved for sport fishing.

The Monterey Bay Aquarium has a seafood watch program, including a restaurant program: http://www.montereybayaquarium.org/cr/seafoodwatch.aspx

Perhaps something could be done along those lines here? It could at least be a start at some local dialogue. The local sport captains don't seem to want to take any action.

But the thought of being some local fishing activist...no way. Been there, done that and if they could have, they would have kicked me out of the US (or at least Montana) and they CAN do that to me here.:lol:

mulege marv
Senior Nomad

Mood: relaxed

[*] posted on 4-26-2009 at 05:23 PM
it's mathmatics

long liners + seiners + shrimpers + gill nets =
NO FISH = NO TOURISTS = NO DOLLARS !!!

pescador is right, 30 + boats fished the yellowtail tourney,
average 3 anglers per boat, and over a two day period
produced 7 fish. think about it, pretty sad, should be a "wake up call" but i doubt it.

Want what you have
Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-26-2009 at 05:34 PM

I got this bit of good news from BD.
http://www.bloodydecks.com/forums/baja-mexico-fishing-report...
Although this news is a bonus for the bill fisherman it would help the all fisheries and raise conservation levels to a new level. It's something in the right direction.
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 4-26-2009 at 05:35 PM

Guess we're all yelling "fire" after the house has burned down.:( But with a lot of help it can be rebuilt.:bounce:
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.