BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  4
Author: Subject: If I need to, can I work in baja?
lesliego
Junior Nomad

Mood: tired of rain

[*] posted on 5-3-2009 at 04:46 PM
If I need to, can I work in baja?

Maybe this is a naive question, but I'm gonna ask anyway. If I fall in love with this place, why come back? Question is, can I support myself? I have a bachelor's degree in business, have done years of accounting and income taxes, I speak Spanish and I have worked in a commercial kitchen. Not that I don't know how to do other things... Opinions?
Leslie
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 5-3-2009 at 04:49 PM

Find a business that needs you and get your FM-3 work visa... Do it!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Bajajack
Banned

[*] posted on 5-3-2009 at 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by lesliego
Maybe this is a naive question, but I'm gonna ask anyway. If I fall in love with this place, why come back? Question is, can I support myself? I have a bachelor's degree in business, have done years of accounting and income taxes, I speak Spanish and I have worked in a commercial kitchen. Not that I don't know how to do other things... Opinions?
Leslie
Sure, with your commercial kitchen background it shouldn't be a problem.

Just get your paperwork in order and hit up the Taco stands, they always need Pot Washers.

With a little hard work you could probably make up to $10 a day and get to live like a real mexican.:lol:

\"take what you can, give nothing back!\"

We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.\'

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

We can have no \"50-50\" allegiance in this country. Either a man is an American and nothing else, or he is not an American at all.

Theodore Roosevelt
vandy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-3-2009 at 05:16 PM

I agree with bajajack...

I work in the States for 6 months, then take a couple of years off. The pay is much higher. You can even save most of it if you camp out...

If you find yourself somewhere north of Cabo, drop an email.
kayakbaja@gmail
We can have some smoke,fish
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 5-3-2009 at 05:21 PM

I would hope that lesliego KNOWS the pay in Mexico is about 1/10th the pay in America, and she can survive on that... Maybe she fell in love with Baja and wants to live on love (and $10/ day)?

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 5-3-2009 at 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
I would hope that lesliego KNOWS

I think she knows. Her original post alluded to the "list" which Mike Humfreville put up on this site in 2005.
I think Leslie knows a lot more than she claims.
I'm just a born cynic.

"kinda like the list, but not as long..."

[Edited on 5-4-2009 by DENNIS]
lesliego
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-3-2009 at 06:10 PM

Actually I really DONT know what it's like. Shari seems to have made a pretty decent life for herself, her daughter has chosen to stay in MX, so obviously, it's working for them... I was alluding to the "list" post about what to take camping.... Jeeze louise, you guys!
Leslie
bajafool
Banned

[*] posted on 5-3-2009 at 06:16 PM

Got to be lots of jobs for a american in Baja. I think that you could start a mass rush heading over the wall southbound looking for the new frontier.Good luck with that but I would just marry a Mexican. Maybe Juan has a friend.
Any recent pics? Do you have a fishing boat and have access
to beer?:lol::lol:
Mulegena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-3-2009 at 06:52 PM
www.mexperience.com and www.bajainsider.com

For good information check out these two sites.

No, from my observation its not realistic to think that a foreign national
can come to Mexico and expect to find a lucrative source of income.

If you'd like further information, send me a u2u.
vandenberg
Elite Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 5-3-2009 at 08:51 PM

Maybe sell timeshares in Loreto.
I hear those guys are raking it in.

I think my photographic memory ran out of film

Air Evacuation go to
http://www.loretobarbara@skymed.com
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 5-3-2009 at 09:26 PM

Actually amigos, the most fun job I've ever had was teaching english at University in GN, if you can imagine that. The dean is a really awesome woman, the other profs were fantastic, the kids were a delight...the pay sucked (about $2.50 an hour but I managed to raise my daughter on that).
I have quite liked living a low income, stress free life...taught me alot about priorities and humbleness.
but mulegena is right, it's not realistic for most people...but IS possible.
Juan has lots of single friends:o

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-3-2009 at 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by lesliego
Leslie

The simplest way to work is to get a job at a business which is established and requires english and spanish speakers with some sophistication. You don't need to go to immigration in advance, once you get the job assignment you will get assistance from them to get your fm-3. Its not a big deal if you are near a large city and if you are not it takes longer but who cares... You can begin and be in progress getting your papers for as long as it takes.

Some examples of jobs you might like are english teacher which can pay up to about 450 pesos a day in private schools, bartender which pays 100 pesos plus tips for 8-10 hours, maid which can pay about 200 pesos for 2-3 hours, tour guide office manager which pays about 200 a day, or real estate agent which often includes stipends of 300-400 pesos a day deductable from commissions, sports guide 100-1000 pesos a day.

Typical wages are around 200-500 pesos a day for skilled workers in La Paz and Cabo. Of course these are very hard times today with the false pandemic so you may find that it makes more sense to make art like jewelry, paintings, photos sculpture, carvings or something you can sell and when the tourists come you sell and when they don't you work.

I know many people who come and find work quickly and easily if you are easy to get along with and hard working. Starting your own business is possible too but much more difficult, confusing and expensive.

In general it makes little sense to work in Baja with expectations of money but if you enjoy being busy its great fun to work and you'll learn alot.

[Edited on 5-4-2009 by gnukid]
805gregg
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-4-2009 at 06:55 AM

Since you have never been there, it's probably better to go first, and see what it's like. You may not like it there.
tjBill
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-4-2009 at 07:16 AM

From what I have heard, the only legal way you can get work is have your employer prove there is no suitable Mexican for you position. Close to imposible. With the exception of English teacher

If you work illegally, more common, there's a big chance other Mexicans will report you to the authorities (Hacienda). Since Mexico does not have sufficient jobs for its population, the authorities do not mess around with deporting those working illegally. :O
flyfishinPam
Super Nomad

Mood: gone fishin'

[*] posted on 5-4-2009 at 07:20 AM

go for it girl and don't listen to those who discourage because they are jealous that you are even thinking along these lines (they honestly can't see themselves doing it so they discourage you, ignore them). Like Shari, I came and stayed completely on accident and here I am ten years later. just DO IT! just a thought, your business and accounting experience in the USA will do little for you so just forgetaboutit! things run differently here. start your own business you'll never make money working for someone else. form a Mexican corporation through a good lawyer and a notario. I ain't rich and don't care to be but we make a decent living, all bills get paid, everything we own is ours no debt kids in private school and I love it here!

GOOD LUCK!

flyfishinPam
Super Nomad

Mood: gone fishin'

[*] posted on 5-4-2009 at 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajafool
Got to be lots of jobs for a american in Baja. I think that you could start a mass rush heading over the wall southbound looking for the new frontier.Good luck with that but I would just marry a Mexican. Maybe Juan has a friend.
Any recent pics? Do you have a fishing boat and have access
to beer?:lol::lol:

hmmm you sound like someone who's been here before and has been BANNED many times.

how long guys till the fool gets banned (again)?

lesliego
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-4-2009 at 10:51 AM

Thanks for the posts you guys, I appreciate the feedback.
Leslie
bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-4-2009 at 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS

I think she knows. Her original post alluded to the "list" which Mike Humfreville put up on this site in 2005.
I think Leslie knows a lot more than she claims.
I'm just a born cynic.

"kinda like the list, but not as long..."

[Edited on 5-4-2009 by DENNIS]

Actually I started The List, but who cares.:dudette:

Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 5-4-2009 at 01:11 PM

Yea, You could find a job down in Baja. Might not pay much, just depends upon who you hook up with.;)
vandenberg
Elite Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 5-4-2009 at 01:17 PM

Leslie,
Maybe you could hook up with Fishbuck, sell your million dollar house in the Oregon banana belt, buy him a plane, and go enterprising together.:?:
Just a thought.:biggrin:

I think my photographic memory ran out of film

Air Evacuation go to
http://www.loretobarbara@skymed.com
 Pages:  1    3  4

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.