Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: injured dog on the malecon - help
cjinca
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-4-2009 at 08:39 PM
injured dog on the malecon - help

if you live in la paz, maybe you can help expedite getting an injured dog help faster than i can do it alone...

probably hit by a car, she has a bad chest wound. we're here short term so i don't know all the ends and outs of la paz or the shelter i've read about in el centarrio.

so if you are familiar with how operation works, if they have someone that can pick her up, etc. it'd be most helpful. i'm debating trying to load her up and put her on patio for the night but that be either too stressful for her or dangerous for me. :(

she is the black dog (there are 3 dogs all together) that follows around the guy who collects cans - i haven't seem him tonight. they're ususally hanging out on beach during day and with him at night...

thinking that shelter can help her at cost - which were glad to donate towards.
lesliego
Junior Nomad

Mood: tired of rain

[*] posted on 5-4-2009 at 09:45 PM

You know, you guys are something to be proud of - taking care of injured dogs - I'm happy to even know you on this board. Hopefully, you'll take that good care of me, if I need it. I know I would of you....
Awatson

[*] posted on 5-4-2009 at 10:21 PM

I'd just put 'em down when something like that happens. It's a dog. I have one too! But....it's a dog. I'm sure I won't be the only A-hole to post reality...or maybe I will?
redhilltown
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-4-2009 at 11:51 PM

Good luck for what you are doing. As for just "putting it down" I can understand the logic but not the emotion...you take a stand, you do your best and then maybe you have to call it a day. There is something pure about Baja dogs in that for all their scruffiness and lack of class, they have charm. I have met a lot a great dogs down there and felt sorry for a lot more. Which reminds me to take Kim in El Rosario some supplies next time through...she does great work.
CaboRon
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Peacefull

[*] posted on 5-5-2009 at 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Awatson
I'd just put 'em down when something like that happens. It's a dog. I have one too! But....it's a dog. I'm sure I won't be the only A-hole to post reality...or maybe I will?

cjinca
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-5-2009 at 10:16 AM

thanks for info. quick update, fed the two (partner) tacos last night. she was in good spirits, ate heartily, doesn't seem to be in shock - which is amazing. neck is opened up (4-5 inches) with dried sand in it, showing the red tissue towards middle. but is a pretty fresh wound. probably a car accident as you can place on nose, leg as well. figuring the license plate may have sliced her up.

husband was very reluctant to try and load her. so we're back in to town to check emails, and see what we can get done for her.

will let y'all know something later.
Neal Johns
Super Nomad

Mood: In love!

[*] posted on 5-5-2009 at 02:44 PM

Thanks, cjinca,
Keep up the good work.
Neal

My motto:
Never let a Dragon pass by without pulling its tail!
Marie-Rose
Senior Nomad

Mood: Worried...

[*] posted on 5-5-2009 at 08:05 PM

cjinca

Gracias for those who don't have words to say thanks:yes::yes:

Remember, when in Mexico, yes may be no and no may be
maybe!
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 5-5-2009 at 08:20 PM
cjinca

Please check your u2u

longlegsinlapaz
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-5-2009 at 08:40 PM

If you haven't yet gotten the dog to a Vet....or a Vet to the dog, try calling Thomas Rodriguez @ 612-122-5662. His clinic is on Madero 2 blocks off the malecon. It's to the left off De Leon, which is the 4-way stop in front of Plaza Coral. He does house calls, so he'd do a malecon visit! Thank you for caring!:bounce:

OOPS!! Madero is TWO blocks off the malecon! Sorry!:smug:

[Edited on 5-6-2009 by longlegsinlapaz]
Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 5-5-2009 at 08:47 PM

WOW!

A newbie doing a terrific deed for a dog in Baja. We need more members like cjinca.
The majority of members generally think that a lose dog in Baja is better off dead.
This post brings tears to my eyes.
I would do the same thing, cjinca!

Thanks for caring.

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

Stickers
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-5-2009 at 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by udowinkler

The majority of members generally think that a lose dog in Baja is better off dead.

I don't think so Udo - :no:

Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-5-2009 at 11:29 PM

Been all over Mexico. Ya just gotta understand, given the culture and the economy, dogs do not get the same level of care as up North. As awful as it may seem, sick and injured dogs are just not the priority that gringos expect. Not being judgemental, just observing the real world in Mexico.
cjinca
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-6-2009 at 06:41 PM

the saga continues...
found the dogs last night with no problem... fed them again, took photos, loved on them but no way is 'blackie' gonna have a leash on her. and with wounded neck, sure wouldn't push it. so we walked, and fed, and took our dog back home so husband could try his magic...nope.
so i concluded that either: dog will get weak enough to let us help her, or we
could ask the guy she follows to help when we see him again...

but hey, the idea of vet coming to malecon is a thought... thanks!

yeah, we went to shelter to get info (that was a trip in itself). :bounce: talked with mario, learned about place and then paul talked with someone on phone in english to get details. they gave us the name of two docs that do low cost work for dogs going to shelter. very cool.

and we made plans to show up monday and help out around shelter - only think i don't relish is making the 20 minute washboard road drive... we don't have truck/4 wheel, etc. so it's wild.

as for all the 'dog better off dead' pieces shared, i can't easily respond to that. but read between the lines: we have a rescue dog from mexico. got him at about 8 weeks, now he's 3. life is not always rosy for us humans - right? this guy has been my buen amigo for the last 3 years... he's probably got abandonment issues cuz he was dumped as a pup in an unpopulated area... so he goes where we go.

he has been my buddy. then there is blackie, the hurt dog. she's not on death's door. she gets fed regularly, has two great dog friends and the 'can guy'. :) not talking about trying to pour thousands of dollars in a dog that has no hope.

why would i help her? cuz i can. why not? i don't address all the suffering i see, don't have the means to, but i am able to take off time to play in mexico - and my philosophy is giving back... i can buy tacos, cervezas, watch the sunsets, etc... the percentage i give back is i'm sure well less than 1% of what i have. better than nothing and hopefully the amount is growing as i wake up.

and lastly, it's interesting how we conform to society or buck it - usually bases on what feels good, huh?

so i did respond a bit... scrambled as it is.

and as always - thanks for all the tips. now i'll try to figure out was u2u is. :)
cjinca
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-6-2009 at 06:48 PM

go to bajadogs.com and check out site. you can volunteer, donate, adopt local or internationally... amazing place.
longlegsinlapaz
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-6-2009 at 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by cjinca
and as always - thanks for all the tips. now i'll try to figure out was u2u is. :)

U2U is a private e-mail here within Baja Nomad. Scroll to the top of any page, upper right corner & you should see a line telling you you have a message....or you can click on the "U2U" down a couple lines if you want to send a msg without have a message alert line present.
cjinca
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-6-2009 at 07:11 PM

thanks! i did it.
grace59
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-9-2009 at 12:20 PM

How's the dog doing now? It's been a couple of days since the last update.:?:

Whenever I hear that rainy, chill wind blow. I think it may be time to head for Mexico. Tengo que obedecer mi corazon!
cjinca
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-9-2009 at 07:54 PM

no real update other than to say, we're back in town with peanut butter coated dog food (dogs weren't the least bit interested in reg. dog food last time but love tacos). thought we'd check on blackie, brought hydrogen peroxide with us. and will talk to vets tomorrow about a tranquilizer to get her to vets that work with bajadogs.

last evening we were 'on pursuit' was pretty hysterical, really. the white dog is in heat and she was sharing her interest with male dog and then taking time out to lick blackie's neck... pretty sweet.

we were in san jose the last two days so haven't been around malecon till this evening. will let you know. like your quote, grace... :)
grace59
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-10-2009 at 10:47 AM

Quote:
like your quote, grace... :)

Thanks, but the credit goes to Carlos Santana...it is from the Santana and Willie Nelson song..They all went to Mexico...one of my favorite Mexico songs.

Whenever I hear that rainy, chill wind blow. I think it may be time to head for Mexico. Tengo que obedecer mi corazon!
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.