Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Rumbos Nuevos
BFS
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-10-2009 at 01:21 PM
Rumbos Nuevos

New places are always tricky. It is so much easier to go back to the tried and true however remote or difficult to get to; so much easier to visit an old friend.
I have a list unbelievably long of new places id like to visit, places tucked away in the crags of the peninsula that i have heard of by chance or seen an image of somewhere, some nearby and some not so near, but all tucked away in the memory banks for a hopefully not too distant opportunity to see and experience first hand.
So when the rumored latest swell heading towards Baja started brewing a close circle of friends began preparations for an assault on one of the tried and true places.
I was keen on a little exploration however and tried convincing like minds to join me in on the potentially incredible "new" fun. No such luck as the jaded amigos pointed out, one by one, why going to this place I had in mind was not the right choice. The wind was wrong, too high a tide in the morning, full moon!!
So once again I found myself alone and wandering down a dusty road through the cactus, taking a few wrong turns and listening to the complaints of the pots and pans and everything else getting tossed around in the back of the camper.
I arrived at what I thought was my destination before sunset and was not that convinced I had made the right decision. Trying to keep busy I set to securing a good high vantage point, turning on the fridge, getting poles, wax, tackle, beers close to hand, and finally making my bed, i looked out the window and spotted a group of pelicans standing on the shore and intently looking into the surf while a a nice left peeled off behind them. Hmmm I think this just might be good place after all.

Aq
BFS
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-10-2009 at 01:22 PM

the peanut gallery almost leaning into water they can see so many fish

DSC_0922.JPG - 48kB
BFS
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-10-2009 at 01:24 PM

deciding to skip the surf as it was too late in the day, i rigged up a trusty scampi and couldnt keep the fish off the thing.

DSC_0928.JPG - 45kB
BFS
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-10-2009 at 01:26 PM

and after breakfast they kept on coming!!

DSC_0938.JPG - 48kB
BFS
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-10-2009 at 01:27 PM

did i mention the "main event" going off outside the window?

DSC_0937.JPG - 48kB
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 5-10-2009 at 01:39 PM

Thanks for the photos. It's time for a fish fry.:biggrin:
Osprey
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-10-2009 at 02:09 PM

When I retired way down south here I kinda knew my roaming around would be coming to an end. When I vacationed in Baja, year after year I was drawn back to my favorite places and while I longed to explore places I only heard about, I took comfort in knowing where I swam and fished and partied was just right for me. All in all I have few regrets because I have the priceless memories of days and weeks taking in every good thing I could find in BOLA, Loreto, Mulege, Concepcion, East Cape. It was enough. And now places I might have ventured to 20 some years ago, which were then relatively pristine, are filling up fast, their one-time charm changing to something else. Heart, head, pick one.
salvavida
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-10-2009 at 06:31 PM

Great AQ,
Glad to see the "Beast" is getting you out there. Nice corvina!
JK
Von
Senior Nomad

Mood: getting ready!

[*] posted on 5-10-2009 at 06:48 PM

cool pics!

READY SET.....................
htnfool
Nomad

Mood: Fishy

[*] posted on 5-11-2009 at 06:30 AM

That was an excellent post. I love the pics. Ain't fishin Baja great!
rpleger
Super Nomad

Mood: Was good.

[*] posted on 5-11-2009 at 07:55 AM

Now, thats real living,
Thanks for the fotos and story

Richard on the Hill

*ABROAD*, adj. At war with savages and idiots. To be a Frenchman abroad is to
be miserable; to be an American abroad is to make others miserable.
-- Ambrose Bierce, _The Enlarged Devil\'s Dictionary_
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-11-2009 at 06:06 PM

There's nothing quite like the sound of the waves hitting the beach and the crasy birds diving for food and nothing taste better than fresh fish. Oh what a life. With all the things mother nature provides you are really never alone. Enjoy
junglebook

[*] posted on 5-27-2009 at 05:24 PM

looks like it was fun. how was the surf? can you give me a hint as to where that beackbreak is located? mahalo
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 5-27-2009 at 08:30 PM

let me be the first to say BRAVO. and no hint of where. it's good enuff to know that it is out there.

if you want it, go find it!

AQ, i'm glad you got the BEAST. i was looking/contemplating but it was too much for our needs. glad she/he/it is still on the trail of the next south swell. a dusty dirt road is not a bad place to be.

keep the stoke, and always crop the landmarks!:light:

BFS
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-28-2009 at 02:54 PM

That aint no beachbreak pequeño saltamontes!
That is the rarest of rare Baja treats: a left point. Rarer still in that apart from a bull sea lion, there were only 2 of us in the lineup the entire weekend. No paddle takeoffs, freight train outside peak. All the fresh fish you can eat. And its all waiting for you just south of the border.
The Beast rocks! and will be seen at the end of some dusty road with every fresh rumour of a south swell over the next few months.

Aq

[Edited on 5-28-2009 by aqbluegreen]

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.