Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Loreto Argentine Steak house, Pachamama
californio

[*] posted on 5-10-2009 at 08:14 PM
Loreto Argentine Steak house, Pachamama

Pachamama, the Argentine Steak House in Loreto, has re-opened under the direction of Samuel (chef), and Carolina (hostess). Great appetizers, and the steaks they have always been famous for. In addition, the short ribs, a little chewier than the steaks, have unbeatable flavor.
Leon and Ali, the previous owners, are missed, but the enthusiasm and quality of preparation by the new owners overcomes that loss.
The prices are moderate for Loreto (low by US standards), the wine list is small but well chosen (try the Los Moros cab-shiraz), and Daniel, the bartender makes great margaritas and bloody marys.
We were happy to experience the new Pachamama.
Tourists seldom find it because it is on a side street (Zapata) one block west of the Mission.
rockman
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-10-2009 at 08:23 PM

We ate there two nights ago - really great. Coincidently, we had that wine, but one needs to know that it is the "Reserve" cab-shiraz.
Paula
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-10-2009 at 08:33 PM

We just had dinner there tonight~~~ was always a favorite and still is!
rpleger
Super Nomad

Mood: Was good.

[*] posted on 5-11-2009 at 07:58 AM

Thank you, always looking for a new place when in Loreto.

Richard on the Hill

*ABROAD*, adj. At war with savages and idiots. To be a Frenchman abroad is to
be miserable; to be an American abroad is to make others miserable.
-- Ambrose Bierce, _The Enlarged Devil\'s Dictionary_
elizabeth
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-11-2009 at 10:32 AM

And, in addition to those things already mentioned, they have the best, most interesting salads in town!
rhintransit
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-11-2009 at 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by elizabeth
And, in addition to those things already mentioned, they have the best, most interesting salads in town!

not to hijack the thread, I really like the place and recommend it highly. however, have you tried the salads at Porto Bello (the hearts of palm one is especially good and different) and for a nice lunch change, the crispy chicken salad (on Wednesdays I think but maybe other days, too) at Del Borracho is very good, and at only 60 pesos, a fine lunch.

reality\'s never been of much use out here...
mulegemichael
Super Nomad

Mood: up on step

[*] posted on 5-11-2009 at 05:00 PM

rhintransit: a TOTAL hijack man!...start a new one for your faves...not right, amigo.

dyslexia is never having to say you\'re yrros.
BajaBruno
Super Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 5-11-2009 at 05:13 PM

Where does the beef come from? Sonora via the ferry? I love those Argentinian style steak houses.

Christopher Bruno, Elk Grove, CA.
bajabird
Nomad

Mood: Always happy

[*] posted on 8-19-2009 at 02:25 PM

all gone, they are no longer......

LaTijereta
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-22-2009 at 08:24 AM
?

Hey Tom,
I thought Pachamama was just closed for the summer, and they said they would re-open in Oct..

:( news if they are really closed

Democracy is like two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.

Ben Franklin (1759)
backninedan
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-22-2009 at 02:05 PM

Either way, I found the service very slow, portions small and overpriced. Other than that it was fine.....
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-22-2009 at 02:09 PM

Different Strokes, I guess.
vandenberg
Elite Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 8-22-2009 at 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by backninedan
Either way, I found the service very slow, portions small and overpriced. Other than that it was fine.....

Since Dan lives here, I pay more attention to his opinion then the one from some tourist, who was probably smitten with our picturesque authentic fishing village.:P:P:biggrin:

And BTW, if they were that great, they would still be there.:biggrin:
That's what logic tells me.:tumble:

[Edited on 8-22-2009 by vandenberg]

I think my photographic memory ran out of film

Air Evacuation go to
http://www.loretobarbara@skymed.com
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-22-2009 at 03:35 PM

And what's so bad about Domingo's?
dtbushpilot
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Tranquilo

[*] posted on 8-22-2009 at 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajahowodd
And what's so bad about Domingo's?

We love Domingo's. We always eat dinner there when we stop for the night in Loreto....dt

"Life is tough".....It's even tougher if you're stupid.....
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-22-2009 at 03:59 PM

Nosotros tambien. There are only two problems I have ever had there. And, considering the quality and amount of food, they are small. First, they have a real problem with their salad dressings; always watery. Second, in the heat of summer, when dining inside, the mesquite will permeate your clothes.
backninedan
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-22-2009 at 05:49 PM

I also enjoy Domingos. Great service, nice atmosphere (especially the eating area out back). I do agree that the portions are a bit small, especially the rack of ribs, or maybe I am just a pig and would love to have two racks instead of one.
bajalinda
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-23-2009 at 09:13 AM

OK - I have to chime in here. We had an extremely disappointing meal at Pachamama's last January. The dish we ordered was described on the menu as having authentic Argentinian sausage....in reality it was ordinary thin-sliced ham. When we pointed that out and complained to the waitress, she went back to the kitchen and came back out with the package of ham and showed us "this is what we use". The management's attitude was "too bad, take it or leave it" and no attempt was made to turn us into happier customers.

We had searched out Pachamama's because we had had a wonderful meal there way back when they were first located on the little square east of the mission. Perhaps the management had changed back then too with the change of location???

In any case, unless the new management that came in last May is miles better than the previous one, we won't be going back.
Don Alley
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-23-2009 at 01:14 PM

The owners of Pachamama had two children since opening the original restaurant at the location now hosting Mita Gourmet. Concerned with the educational opportunities Loreto offered their children, they decided to bail on Loreto. Leon is now in Miami Florida.

They rented/leased Pachamama and their Loreto home to a couple that made a go of it, but between the terms of the lease and a precipitous drop in tourism they closed the restaurant. They told us they were not reopening it in the fall.

As far as I know Allie and Leon still own the business, so who knows, something may resurface there.

Paula and I loved that restaurant, and I think they served the best steaks in town.

The biggest problem I have found in Loreto restaurants has been consistency. I think I've had a sub-par meal at just about every place I've eaten at. That has happened at Pachamama, but less than most other restaurants. Perhaps Domingo's is the most consistent of the full-menu restaurants in town, but sometimes I've gotten a shoe leather steak there. There are a couple of places that we hear great reports of, but no longer go to because of multiple poor experiences.

bajalinda
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-25-2009 at 03:14 PM

Don - thanks for the bit of history on Pachamama's - much appreciated. If they do eventually re-open under new management, we may give it another try.
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.