Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: chopping the top
BFS
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-13-2009 at 08:02 AM
chopping the top

I have purchased a beater 4door 4x4 hardtop suzuki sidekick and am planning on cutting the roof off completely. The idea is to have a mini sand capable jeep type car stashed at our house in Baja. Any recommendations/suggestions by anyone out there?
My main concern is the curved windshield and how to support it as it angles back towards the driver quite a bit. I will probable permanently shut the back door and eliminate all window glass too unless I can save those windows somehow.
I know there are numerous offroad shops in La Paz capable of doing an amazing job on this thing, but am hoping to do this barato!!
Any advice from out there?

angle grinder and sawzall at the ready
Aq
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 5-13-2009 at 03:08 PM

The Suzuki should do fine in sand with the right tire/ air pressure combination... without cutting off the top... The top gives you sun and rain protection... and you can 'lock' it if used to go shopping, etc. Also resale value will be much higher.

I am saying this because you mentioned doing so to make it 'sand capable'.

Heck, my 1.6 litre Subaru 4WD was the best sand buggy with it's 13" tires at 10 psi... roof and all.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 5-13-2009 at 08:35 PM

I'll ditto David's Subaru.
Started with a 78, sold it a few years and Baja miles later. Bought and 86 (last of the carburetors) sold it after 270,000 including many Baja trips also.
Then bought a 98 Impreza Outback. Sold it after 185,000 miles and also many Baja trips. Bought a 2002 Outback VDC wagon. Another great Subaru with many Baja miles, but traded it in on a 2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser. All hard-tops and always thought the Subarus were the best 4X4, until we drove about 2700 miles on a Baja trip including almost 800 off road. 20 MPG never felt soooo good! Toyotas make the best 4X4.
Right DK?:P

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 5-13-2009 at 08:43 PM

Check this website:

http://www.zukiworld.com/

click on the forums and read away....

capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 5-14-2009 at 06:08 AM

DO IT!! it is exactly what i wanted to do with my '87 Nissan path finder before i sold it, it retired to baja in 2003.

the idea was to cut the lid and get a canvas or sunbrella fabric cover with snap buttons. voila - instant convertible.
then put 2 more chairs in the very back for 6 pax total.

resale?? why? once you commit a rig to baja it will rot over time anyway.

they basically slowly fall apart over time from sand sea salt air etc.

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
El Camote
Senior Nomad

Mood: y Blues

[*] posted on 5-14-2009 at 09:05 AM

My Baja bug came with an "aftermarket" sunroof. Just as Capitan said, one of the previous owners cut a specific size opening, surrounded it with trim and riveted on snaps for a fabric cover. Looks like the whole job could be done in a couple hours, max. I had the cover remade with marine grade material on the outside and white, headliner matching material on the inside. It's wearing very well and I love it so much I rarely have the top on when I drive.

My only concern would be not to make the opening too big to preserve the structural integrity of the body which is provided by the roof. I wouldn't be surprised if you couldn't find a kit to do this. I'm sure you're not the first 'zuki dude to think of it.

Knowledge is good. - Emil Faber

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.