Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Hand Winch
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 5-17-2009 at 08:52 PM

IMO probably not. My 9500 lbs pull elec. WARN winch sometimes strains and groans when I am REALLY STUCK. Hand winches that I am familiar with only are rated for about 2000 max.

Since there are so many helpful people at Alphonsina's and in the nearby houses, I would line somebody up to give me the extra pulling power I need when time to pull out the waverunners.

You might be able to (probably could) pull the trailer with the waverunners on it up to the truck (which would remain out of the soft sand) with a small winch, tho. It is all very time consuming, tho.

There is a concrete ramp across the bay at Papa Fernandez.

BArry
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-18-2009 at 07:24 AM

Many of the auto parts stores and Harbor Freight sell a portable electric winch in the $75 range. It's rated at 2000 lbs dead weight and 6000 lbs rolling weight. But look on ebay and they have em rated at 5000 lbs dead weight and 15000 rolling weight at about the same price. I have one of each but never had to use em. Nice to have just in case.
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-18-2009 at 07:26 AM

Also remember that lowering your tire pressure helps two wheel drive vehicles in the sand too. Lower all four tires.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 5-18-2009 at 07:44 AM

If you mean the back bay at Alfonsina's (next to the runway, where boats are usually launched at high tide)... the dirt is a firm clay pack... not sand... and acts like concrete...

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

Mood: thriving in Baja

[*] posted on 5-18-2009 at 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by TW
Also remember that lowering your tire pressure helps two wheel drive vehicles in the sand too. Lower all four tires.

:light::light: and when all else fails you can remove the spark plugs (carry a wrench) and use the very low gear ratio starter motor to pull you out, assuming you don't have an automatic transmission :?::?:

Bob Durrell
Barry A.
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-18-2009 at 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by durrelllrobert
Quote:
Originally posted by TW

:light::light: and when all else fails you can remove the spark plugs (carry a wrench) and use the very low gear ratio starter motor to pull you out, assuming you don't have an automatic transmission :?::?:

Que??? Durrel (etc.) could you please explain that statement? That is great advice for someone with an engine that won't start, and needs to load that vehicle up on a flat bed trailer, but it won't help in this instance, I don't believe. "Low gearing" was not an issue. Getting stuck in mud or sand is the problem, and that is a "traction" issue.

David's point about "firm dirt" behind Alphonsina's is right on, I believe, but I was not sure of that.

Barry
durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

Mood: thriving in Baja

[*] posted on 5-18-2009 at 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Barry A.
Quote:
Originally posted by durrelllrobert
Quote:
Originally posted by TW

Que??? Durrel (etc.) could you please explain that statement? That is great advice for someone with an engine that won't start, and needs to load that vehicle up on a flat bed trailer, but it won't help in this instance, I don't believe. "Low gearing" was not an issue. Getting stuck in mud or sand is the problem, and that is a "traction" issue.

David's point about "firm dirt" behind Alphonsina's is right on, I believe, but I was not sure of that.

Barry

The starter motor with very few theeth, engages the large diameter fly wheel with agreat many theeth and thus has a very low gear ratio. with the spark plugs removed there is no compression and tyhe starter motor acts just like a winch to pull you out of the sand. I've used this method before and it works as long as the battery is up.:cool::cool:

Bob Durrell
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 5-18-2009 at 09:11 AM

durrelllrobert, That's really ingenious!:)
Barry A.
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-18-2009 at 09:25 AM

Durrel (etc) I still don't understand-------------you can have the lowest gears in the world, but if you don't have traction you will just sit there and grind away, digging the tires deeper and deeper into the sand. Es verdad?

Barry
bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-18-2009 at 09:39 AM

Barry - a lot of the spinning is caused bu too much speed from the motor, the starter will help it CRAWL along, not start spinning from too much torque. I've used this several times (without pulling the plugs) to get out of tough situations.

No Bad Days

\"Never argue with an idiot. People watching may not be able to tell the difference\"

\"The trouble with doing nothing is - how do I know when I\'m done?\"

Nomad Baja Interactive map

And in the San Felipe area - check out Valle Chico area
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 5-18-2009 at 09:45 AM

i broke a clutch cable in rosarito MANY years ago on a baja bug of mine. the girl i was with was freaking out as it got dark and no one was open to get it fixed. we used this method to "pop" start the thing after every stop sign. we found a hotel for the night and the next day got it fixed.;)

Barry A.
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-18-2009 at 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajalou
Barry - a lot of the spinning is caused bu too much speed from the motor, the starter will help it CRAWL along, not start spinning from too much torque. I've used this several times (without pulling the plugs) to get out of tough situations.

OK, thanks guys. This is new to me, but I am always willing to learn. I have always been one of the "you can never have too much torque" crowd. You just have to modulate your engine and clutch, preventing "wheel spin", or at least that is the way I have always done it. Since I have a 460 V-8 engine in my manual-tranny Ford Pickup, lack of torque is NEVER a problem for me. :lol:

----but I do appreciate the auto tranny in my Nissan X-terra which allows one to perfect the "torque to wheel spin" formula to the point of almost NEVER spinning your wheels.

Thanks for the update/new techniques------and I will keep it in mind.

Barry
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-18-2009 at 01:40 PM

I would rather have a taco

Oh, never mind I thought you said sandwich
BajaWarrior
Super Nomad

Mood: Anxious to get south

[*] posted on 5-18-2009 at 03:46 PM

Bring your own tow strap, it's easier to get help when your standing there stuck with your own strap instead of putting the burden on the help...oh, and a shackle is handy for at least one end.

Haven't had a bad trip yet....
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-18-2009 at 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaWarrior
Bring your own tow strap, it's easier to get help when your standing there stuck with your own strap instead of putting the burden on the help...oh, and a shackle is handy for at least one end.

Always carry a shackle with the winch, it doubles your pulling power if there is somnething to attach it to and a couple of tow straps too.
BajaDanD
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-18-2009 at 06:03 PM
hand wench

is that the same as a hand maiden

Im gonna go get my shackles and my wench and have us some fun. Bring on the wenches
DAND

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.