Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Bahia de los Angeles report
Santiago
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-25-2009 at 09:59 AM
Bahia de los Angeles report

Just returned from a 5 day fishing trip to Bahia de los Angeles with my longtime fishing buddy, Steve. Fishing had drastically improved since my last trip in early April (as predicted by 4baja). Small yellowtail, in the 10 pound range, were caught on the surface trolling various lures on the east side of Smith Island and on the very south point of Animas near Barnaby rock. We also hooked a 24” white sea bass at the Animas location along with one of the prettiest hogfish I’ve seen in a while.
One Bonita at Smith. Did not fish Guadalupe reef or Guarda. We did fish the southern points of Remedios but did not find any yellowtail, however did get a nice sheephead. We heard rumors that yellowtail were at the northern parts of Remedios, opposite the north tip of Guarda. We heard from a reliable source that larger, homeguard yellowtail were caught by pangeros with live bait in the typical spots at Smith for this time of year. Oodles of barracuda followed lures to the boat but would not bite, which is just fine with me. No sign of sierra. On our first day out (Monday) I spotted what I’m sure was a surface boil of yellowtail on the south-west end of Smith which usually occurs in late May but could never find them there during the week. Water temps were in the mid 60s to mid 70s depending on location. Lots of bait everywhere. Not a single whale or dolphin sighting. Spent one night snipe hunting but only got one of these:

On our trip north we went through Gonzaga Bay as we have not done this in 3 or 4 years. We stopped and visited with Coco and had a good time. He said we were the first people by in 3 days. He has a few needs that you can help with if you’re so inclined: help on understanding his solar 12 volt system. He has a Sunforce regulator that may be acting up but I’m no good at trouble shooting this stuff. Also needs a device that will tell him what his panels are putting out. He has 2 motorized chairs, one for the city and one with more clearance for his place, but this one has a bad battery so he’s stuck with walking or using a hand driven wheel chair.
Alphonsina’s was packed with weekenders and there were whale sharks in the bay right in front of the bar. The road south was as bad as I remembered
[img][/img]
but the pavement from Puertecitos north is all brand new and very good. South of Puertecitos for 5 miles or so there is very serious grading and culvert work. I’m talking huge cats, graders and rock haulers moving 4’ diameter concrete pipe and big bridge work. These guys are serious. Coco says the new road will turn west from the existing road about 3 or 4 miles north of Gonzaga saving about 5 kilometers but also missing Alphonsina’s Pemex and of course, Coco’s Corner. Is this true?
Had the most thorough inspection at the checkpoint between Alphonsina’s and Papa Fernandez I’ve ever encountered. Dug into everything in the back of the truck.
Had a tip from a local to stay at the Hotel Diamante and have dinner at Juanita’s about 4 or 5 miles north of the roundabout in San Felipe. Good tip. Note that there are 2 Hotel Diamantes about 2 miles apart – we stayed at the southern one, looked new with a pool. $400 pesos for a double. Crossed at Calexico in about 25 minutes, no problems.
We did some interesting calculations about future driving times once the road is paved. From Sacramento to BOLA, via I-5,TJ and Mex 1: 950 miles and about 19 hours driving time. From BOLA to Sacramento via the Gonzaga road/86 to I-10,I-210,I-5 to home: 980 miles and 21 hours driving time. It’s approximately 110 miles from the Chapala turn off to Puertecitos and takes us between 5 and 6 hours on the current road. If the new road will be as good as Coco says, then this stretch will be a 2 hour drive, thus saving 3 or 4 hours and making this route faster by a couple of hours than Mex 1. Do we have this right?
Paulina
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-25-2009 at 10:10 AM

Love that last photo!

Interesting thought regarding the new road possibly cutting the drive time down. I'd much rather take that route.

Was the weather really as warm as the weather station on Mia's board has been showing? We check that everyday, sometimes more than once.

P<*)))>{

\"Well behaved women rarely make history.\" Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
Pacifico
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-25-2009 at 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Santiago
It’s approximately 110 miles from the Chapala turn off to Puertecitos and takes us between 5 and 6 hours on the current road.

I thought it was about 80 miles? We traveled that stretch on a recent offroad trip and you are right - there is some serious earth moving equipment working there:

[Edited on 5-29-2009 by Pacifico]
El Camote
Senior Nomad

Mood: y Blues

[*] posted on 5-25-2009 at 10:56 AM

Santiago,

I have to know, what day of the week and time of day did you cross in Calexico in 25 minutes? Haven't been able to do it that quickly in years. I'm assuming you used the old west crossing.

Great report, btw. :bounce:

Knowledge is good. - Emil Faber
Santiago
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-25-2009 at 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by El Camote
Santiago,

I have to know, what day of the week and time of day did you cross in Calexico in 25 minutes? Haven't been able to do it that quickly in years. I'm assuming you used the old west crossing.

Great report, btw. :bounce:

El Camote: we crossed Sunday morning about 7:30am. I'm not sure which crossing as this was only the 2nd time for me - we simply followed the signs to Calexico until we hit the fence, turned left and went maybe 1/2 mile or so. I assumed it was because it was Sunday and early.
El Camote
Senior Nomad

Mood: y Blues

[*] posted on 5-25-2009 at 11:40 AM

Oh, good show. Sounds like you hit the cruda window. Best crossing ever for us in 13 years was 7 in the morning on New Year's Day. There was literally no one in line, drove straight through. I think I'll try Sunday morning next time too. :light:

Knowledge is good. - Emil Faber
Santiago
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-25-2009 at 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Paulina
Was the weather really as warm as the weather station on Mia's board has been showing? We check that everyday, sometimes more than once.
P<*)))>{

A hot west wind came up Thursday and Friday about 1:00pm and blue HARD all day - not much fun. Fortunately we had provisioned appropriately and could ride it out:
2 cases of Pacifico
1 case of 750ml wine.
Qt Ole no. 07.
Liter of Tequila
Earlier in the week it was in the low to mid 90s and about 35-40 percent humidity.
Bwana_John
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-25-2009 at 12:03 PM

Quote:
It’s approximately 110 miles from the Chapala turn off to Puertecitos and takes us between 5 and 6 hours on the current road.

Quote:
I thought it was about 80 miles?

I think is is ~90 miles, it took me 7 hours last time, but my wife says Ive lost my dirt road mojo.
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 5-25-2009 at 12:09 PM

Santiago, Thanks for the pictures and the report. Good times!!!:tumble::yes:
4baja
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-26-2009 at 06:49 AM

thanks jim for the report, didnt know you were going down. no breezing yellows on the surface yet wow. heading down in three weeks with boat in tow. nice hog fish!!!
Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-26-2009 at 07:37 AM

Jim-
Glad you had a good trip. Hopefully, we can visit you at your place some time.

zac

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 5-26-2009 at 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bwana_John
Quote:

Quote:
I thought it was about 80 miles?

I think is is ~90 miles, it took me 7 hours last time, but my wife says Ive lost my dirt road mojo.

I just added up the mileage figures on the 2007 AAA map:

Puertecitos to Gonzaga Pemex (Alfonsina's turnoff/ Rancho Grande) is 47.5 miles.

Gonzaga Pemex to Highway 1 (Laguna Chapala) is 36.6 miles.

Total Puertecitos to Laguna Chapala is 84.1 miles... and that jives with the mileage I have recorded. The new pavement heading south from Puertecitos extends about 5 miles at last report and that may shave a bit off the 2007 AAA mileage.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 5-26-2009 at 09:40 AM

wooo hooo so glad you caught some fish amigo...one of our guests caught a couple yellowtail last week at San Pablo so looks like the season might get started earlier here....miss ya compa

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
Bwana_John
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-26-2009 at 04:21 PM

Quote:
I think is is ~90 miles

Quote:
Total Puertecitos to Laguna Chapala is 84.1 miles

I guess all them little split roads and pull overs to swim add up huh?:lol:
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 5-26-2009 at 06:49 PM

Yah, that's for sure! :lol::wow:;D

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Martyman
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-28-2009 at 11:50 AM

Hey Jim;
Glad you had a nice trip with a little more success catching pesca. Did you happen to see Macrino around our place? He is supposed to be repairing our pila.
c-ya,
Marty
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 5-28-2009 at 12:29 PM

Hwy 5 isn't any easy road to travel, traffic won't be a problem.:) Just keep in mind, 80 plus miles at 15 mph.:) High clearance is a good thing to have. Four wheel drive? Probably not. Good luck.:bounce:
24baja
Senior Nomad

Mood: Wishing we were in BOLA

[*] posted on 5-28-2009 at 04:48 PM

So far on our trip tto BOLA we have caught 1 10# yellowtail, 2 Grouper 10# 15#, 2 Creole, 2 Triggerfish, 30 Jawfish to 10#, lots of Sea Bass up to 5 #. 2 Whitefish, and 2- 2 1/2 ft sand sharks. Lots of fun and Pacifico being passed around here! Brett & Connie
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 5-28-2009 at 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by 24baja
So far on our trip tto BOLA we have caught 1 10# yellowtail, 2 Grouper 10# 15#, 2 Creole, 2 Triggerfish, 30 Jawfish to 10#, lots of Sea Bass up to 5 #. 2 Whitefish, and 2- 2 1/2 ft sand sharks. Lots of fun and Pacifico being passed around here! Brett & Connie

nice! how is your mood now?

Santiago
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-28-2009 at 07:02 PM

What's a creole?
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.