Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Seiners off Mulége
Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-2-2009 at 06:36 PM
Seiners off Mulége

For the last several weeks between 5 & 8 seiners have been working off the islands at Punta Chivato. I've been asking for some good pics of them from fishermen here but to no avail. How about some of you Mulége fishermen? I see at least 4 heading into the Bay everyday. I can't tell if they are making sets or just moving around. Here's the best I can do with my telephoto (500 & x2) but it's around 8 miles away.

Seiner off Mulége.jpg - 46kB
Pescador
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-2-2009 at 07:10 PM

We have the same thing here in the Craig channel between San Lucas Cove and Isla San Marcos but most are here to get the sardinas. There are several new boats from Guaymas that are squid boats that work all night on the squid grounds until they load up with 30 tonneladas and then they head back to Guaymas. The locals would love to torpedo them. Maybe we can get Greenpeace or some other wacko orginization to buy us some blackmarket torpedos and we could sink a few of these guys.

Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-2-2009 at 07:23 PM

That would work. More bottom habitat. Greenpeez may come if we call them whalers?
Joelt
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-2-2009 at 07:23 PM

Are they still there? A week ago Monday I was fishing out of Punta Chivato and they had moved up toward San Marcos island. I thought they must have cleaned out the area and were moving on. They sure can wipe out an area. Earlier in the month while we were out fishing we usually would see 2 of the seiners leaving toward the mainland and 2 heading back to the other boats. 2 boat loads a day. Thats a lot of fish. I wonder what they are doing with the all the fish. Pet food? Suprised the fishing was so good.

Joelt
rpleger
Super Nomad

Mood: Was good.

[*] posted on 6-3-2009 at 08:10 AM

¿Who do we complain to and how? They sure f***up the fishing...

Richard on the Hill

*ABROAD*, adj. At war with savages and idiots. To be a Frenchman abroad is to
be miserable; to be an American abroad is to make others miserable.
-- Ambrose Bierce, _The Enlarged Devil\'s Dictionary_
flyfishinPam
Super Nomad

Mood: gone fishin'

[*] posted on 6-3-2009 at 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by rpleger
¿Who do we complain to and how? They sure f***up the fishing...

CONAPESCA will be setting up a program where each boat will have to have a data chip inside of it. The new rule is called "ordenamiento pesquero". They have been setting this up in La Paz and Los Cabos and they still need to do Commundu, Loreto and Mulege municipios. Throughout BCS waters, all boats will need to have them. I do not have all details but here in Loreto we will request the chips be for boats that traverse State lines to fish, not local boats. Or perhaps commercial only...up in the air. We know that most of the boats doing the most extraction are from the mainland. BCS wants to enforce the 50 mile zone again and I believe this is part of the study and enforcement.

So complain to me via U2U with the following details:

Date of suspected violation
Place, number of KM off the shoreline
Description of activity
Description of boat, how many feet, color, name, ID numbers
Add any photos and comments for further proof

Your report will be anonymous

Here my main focus is the Loreto Area but I think any and all reports should be logged. We will send your reports to all of the agencies concerned with this. I wish I could do more but that's the best I can do.

I do not think that the 50 mile limit is in effect yet so remember NOM 029 which lifted this restriction on boats. Boats under a certain length (I don't remember exactly) can fish within 10 miles of the shoreline while larger boats must remain only 15 miles from shore. And technically you're not allowed to be within 250 meters of a commercial boat that's fishing.
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 6-4-2009 at 09:11 AM

Pam....does this restriction apply to sardine boats? Sometimes they come here and work very close to shore. It would be helpful to know is the purse seiners are under or over the size limit...

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
Pescador
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-4-2009 at 11:21 AM

I agree, it would be great to get some kind of clarification about where they are supposed to be and not supposed to be. I would be happy to be an extra pair of eyes and take pictures as well as provide GPS coordinates, but it would be great to have the straight information about what is allowed and what it not.
I contantly hear things like it is illegal to put gill nets out in the caleta at San Lucas, but when I mentioned it to PESCA, they seemed to think that it was totally allowed. I think the only reason we don't get too many longlines close to shore in this area is only because there is so much boat traffic that they end up with cut lines which has to be pretty expensive. (Especially when the irate boat driver cuts things in so many pieces). But the rules seem to be more of a moving target than one would think.

Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-4-2009 at 12:07 PM

"moving target" I like that term. It kinda fits all of officialdom (or officialbumb) down here.
Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-4-2009 at 01:00 PM

Not a seiner in sight! But then this guy goes flying by. Santa Inez light in the background.

Navy 6:4:09.jpg - 48kB
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 6-4-2009 at 01:16 PM

They're heading for Santa Rosalia.:biggrin: Gonna have some fun tonight.:lol:
Pescador
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-4-2009 at 01:28 PM

No that is the military boat that has been checking permits, licenses, and all that other stuff. I think someone said there was a white boat on the north end of San Marcos Island catching entirely way too many fish.:o

Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 6-4-2009 at 01:38 PM

Catching way too many fish?:?: Sports fisherman? Commercial? It wasn't an aluminum boat made in Australia by any chance?:D
mulegemichael
Super Nomad

Mood: up on step

[*] posted on 6-4-2009 at 02:49 PM

we counted 13 seiners when we went out of mulege this morning...by catch floating everywhere!...just a shame!...russ, i'll try to get some boat numbers on my camera tomorrow...we did get into the fish tho...wow...way south..wow1

dyslexia is never having to say you\'re yrros.
Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-4-2009 at 03:24 PM

mulegemichael, Pass the word to take pics. If you can line the pic up with your GPS even better.

Seiner & GPS.jpg - 46kB
Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-4-2009 at 03:29 PM

or

Seiner & GPS~2.jpg - 45kB
Von
Senior Nomad

Mood: getting ready!

[*] posted on 6-4-2009 at 03:44 PM

I hate those boats! striping the ocean away........................There be nathing left for my grandchildren to fish............

READY SET.....................
Geo_Skip
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-4-2009 at 08:52 PM

Russ and others...If you want to diss the Ocean Activists,, do you really expect them to rush to your aid?

Ocean activism is a tough lifestyle, requires living poor, fund raising constantly and constant harassment from governments (representing the business interests against them) and well funded businesses. Anyway, Greenpeace is just a video making group. If you want to ask for real help...be expected to offer REAL support or you will get no answer. These groups have a dozed crises a day on their table.

Then, if you are committed, contact Sea Shepard. They are the Ocean Activists who do the REAL HEAVY LIFTING! If you want to change something...do you want to just be used by a Greenpeace group for a new fundraiser video...or do you want actual action?

This is a serious decision... doing the job right against any government and it's protected business is a serious, long term commitment of time and money. Many of your freedoms will be at risk (In the USA as well as any other country).

Please do not be casual and flippant about Calling On A volunteer, private contribution funded activist group to come save your ass...unless you are equally willing to play/pay your part.
flyfishinPam
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-5-2009 at 05:19 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by shari
Pam....does this restriction apply to sardine boats? Sometimes they come here and work very close to shore. It would be helpful to know is the purse seiners are under or over the size limit...

I'm not sure if your're part of Mag Bay but there's a 20 mile restriction for the Pacific coast off Mag Bay due to the whale reproductive cycle. Later this morning Ill dig out the shark norma and look at the sizes of boats and their mile limits from the coastline. This is for boats with shark permits likely sardine permitted boats have other rules we'll also need to look those up.

flyfishinPam
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-5-2009 at 05:40 AM

I've never heard of sea shepard do they operate in Mexico?

Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.