Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Santa Inez Isl. to out side Punta Concepcion
Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-23-2009 at 02:04 PM
Santa Inez Isl. to out side Punta Concepcion

Nada, nothing, ZERO
But we had a nice boat ride.

Bahia Concepcion where life starts...given a chance!
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-23-2009 at 02:07 PM

I can sense your frustration, Russ.
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 6-23-2009 at 02:27 PM

Russ, Wish you luck. As a year 'round resident you see what's happening on a day-by-day basis. You're not relying on old memories, 30 yr. old fishing stories, etc. I'd be down there now if the fishing was anywhere close to what it is cracked up to be.:yes:
Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-23-2009 at 04:19 PM

Cypress: Please !Please! stay up in the States and never come down to help us poor old Folks catch what is left of these wonderful Fish> I would appreciate your coorperation.

Russ: You should remember that anytime before and approaching Storm that the fishing in the Sea of Cortez changes, I learned that more than 30 years ago Cypress?!

Watch your Barometer next time and you want even go out.

Skeet/Loreto[An old timer of more than 30 years ago} Still catching all the fish I can eat.
Cypress
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-23-2009 at 04:35 PM

I will fully cooperate. :biggrin: And may you continue to dream about what you were doing 30 yrs. ago.:spingrin:
rpleger
Super Nomad

Mood: Was good.

[*] posted on 6-23-2009 at 05:01 PM

It´s sad that the commercial boats are screwing up the fishing for everyone...

Richard on the Hill

*ABROAD*, adj. At war with savages and idiots. To be a Frenchman abroad is to
be miserable; to be an American abroad is to make others miserable.
-- Ambrose Bierce, _The Enlarged Devil\'s Dictionary_
drzura
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-23-2009 at 05:06 PM

Hello Russ. What is the water temperature right now? I will be coming down (San Lucas Cove) on the 19th of July and am crossing my fingers with the hope that the fishing will be decent. We will be fishing off of San Marcos Island for dorado and maybe the bajos for some yellowtail. What are those big boats fishing for; sardines, dorado, or both?

Damion
Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-23-2009 at 05:31 PM

iflyfishpam mentioned the falling barometer yesterday> I have noticed the same thing too. Yesterday and the day before a lot of fish were caught but most said there was a major lockjaw going on. They could see the dorado and sails but few takers. A guide from Mulege took some clients out just south of where we went today and did really well. So there are fish out there you just have to find them.

The big seiner was loading up the haul from the smaller ones. It is pretty low in the water compared to the photos taken of it off Loreto a while back. There are scum lines everywhere of dead sardines and I suspect that may be part of the reason for the lock jaw. Even the bird are slow to take wing they're so full.

Our big dorado tourney is this weekend and we are all watching Andre closely.

mulegemichael
Super Nomad

Mood: up on step

[*] posted on 6-23-2009 at 06:01 PM

russ, when we fished it in the past month, and i mean almost daily for 3 weeks, we sometimes would troll for 4-5 hours without a munch..then...we'd find a little floating "something", a glob of squid, a little pallet, a paddy, whatever...and it would just GO OFF..no kidding...the deal is to find something floating..and the fish will be there...mateo at the mouth of the river won the dorado tourney by fishing a dead sea lion....look for something floating and be willing to put your time in..we fished with "mr bill" for two days...ask him how crazy it was..i hate the commercial boys..

dyslexia is never having to say you\'re yrros.
BajaBruno
Super Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 6-23-2009 at 06:10 PM

The concept that atmospheric pressure affects fish has been repeated so many times for so many years that it has become "common knowledge."

But, with all respect to Skeet and others, I am not really convinced of this, albeit strictly from a scientific perspective. Water is so much denser than air that a fish swimming at five or ten feet could equalize the pressure of even a large storm by moving just a foot or two in the water column. With the varying depths that most pelagic fish roam, I can't imagine how they could even notice a difference in atmospheric pressure.

Now, associated with weather fronts are rain, waves, and reduced light from clouds, and maybe these could make a difference to fishing success, but I'm not convinced that any fish could notice a difference in their swim bladder pressure by a passing front.

However, I am, as always, willing to be educated if someone has a better idea.

Christopher Bruno, Elk Grove, CA.
Pescador
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-23-2009 at 06:38 PM

Well, Bajabruno, you just need to fish more and you will come to realize that a falling barometer shuts off both freshwater and saltwater fish. That does not mean that they will not eat, but their aggresiveness goes way down just before a storm. But that is not the whole picture, they actually increase their activity when the change is first triggered. Secondly, it seems to really effect the baitfish much more strongly which is what triggers the behavior in terms of the predators. So yes, both the predator and the predatee are effected by very slight changes.

baitcast
Super Nomad

Mood: good

[*] posted on 6-23-2009 at 07:02 PM

I have watched this phenomenon for many years both sweet water and salt,carried a barometer also forever for what ever reason a falling barometer would shut off a bite:?: watch any of these bass shows and you will hear time and again the same old thing "yep a fronts moving in and shutting everything down"

Pam was just talking about this yesterday with the blow down south,slowing the dodo bite.
Rob
and I,m also waiting for that picture!

[Edited on 6-24-2009 by baitcast]
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 6-23-2009 at 07:37 PM

what about the new moon

the moon is currently lined with the sun

really high tides too

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
BajaBruno
Super Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 6-23-2009 at 08:58 PM

Pescador may have something here...."Secondly, it seems to really effect the baitfish much more strongly which is what triggers the behavior in terms of the predators."

There is some not-well-understood (at least by me) evidence that plankton are impacted by atmospheric pressure, and they are the food for many baitfish. The atmospheric pressure/plankton relationship may be secondary, i.e. it may be reduced sunlight or surface turbulence that makes them move, but either way, that could help explain the observed phenomena.

I'm not saying the relationship between atmospheric pressure and poor fishing doesn't exist, as Pescador, Skeet, et al maintain---just that I doubt it is a direct relationship on the predator fish. But, keep talking....there may be something unexpected here....

Christopher Bruno, Elk Grove, CA.
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-23-2009 at 10:58 PM

Let's say you work at a hatchery or a fish farm. And it's your responsibility to throw out that meal twice a day.

Do you think the fish will feed less ravenously when there is a barometric pressure change?

It's simple enough to observe.
Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-24-2009 at 06:20 AM

Good stuff being discussed.
For nearly 27 years I kept very good records on Temp, Barometer, etc at Loreto. Also did some recording of the Fishin at Full Moon.

Here in The panhandle my one Dog reacts very baddly when the Presure changes come ahead of the Thunderstorms. We have to give him Prosac to keep him calm.

I think it is true also with fish, but cannot prove it.
There is so much about Nature that we just have to accept.

Cypress: 2 months ago went to my favorite hole near Coronodo, caught 3 27 lb yellowtail, then up to Mulege and caught my limit of Dorodo.

How about you??
Cypress
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-24-2009 at 06:42 AM

Skeet/Loreto, Congrats on your catch. No pargo? No grouper? I'll return to the MS/LA marsh country this fall for redfish, specs, flounder etc. For now at least, I'm done with offshore fishing. Meanwhile the bluegill and crappie are keeping me happy. Glad to hear you caught some fish down in Baja.:)
Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-24-2009 at 07:00 AM

I know we hammer the commercial fishermen pretty hard here but when it comes to the bottom line it is Mexico's lawmakers that are the true villains in this tragedy. The fishermen are just doing what they can to put beans on the table if they even have a table. Again it is the almighty $ that rules and there are enough $$ to pay a bunch of $$ in every ones pocket...... today. It is so easy to be angry at the fishermen and boats that are so visible but I'm trying to lower my frustration level and try to remember who are the true villains here. It helps some......

Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 6-24-2009 at 07:10 AM

I blame the local enforcement bureaucrats/officers even more, Russ.

If they would just enforce the existing rules on dorado and marlin laid down by the lawmakers, there would be plenty of both those species for everyone.

Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-24-2009 at 07:14 AM

Cypress: I am headed to the Gunnison River near Creasted Butte for ome fishin next week. Hope to get a copule of Trout.

As I rememmber the Tide change also effects some of the areas of fishiong out about 15 miles from Loreto. Anybody have noticed any changing during the Tide Times??

For many years my Mother would not fish when she could see that the Cows were laying down in the Pasture>
She always said that it was low pressure time and fishin wasn't any good at that time.
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.